Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Kenya Safari ex Nairobi / NBO (short-long, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kenya Safari ex Nairobi / NBO (short-long, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Sorry, I'm no animal expert!

I just checked these website on Nakuru which seem pretty informative. All I know is it is a short drive from Nairobi and lots of fun.

The park now (2009) has more than 25 black rhinoceros, one of the largest concentrations in the country, plus around 70 white rhinos. There are also a number of Rothschild's giraffe, again translocated for safety from western Kenya beginning in 1977. Waterbuck are very common and both the Kenyan species are found here. Among the predators are lion, cheetah and leopard, the latter being seen much more frequently in recent times. The park also has large sized pythons that inhabit the dense woodlands, and can often be seen crossing the roads or dangling from trees.
As well as flamingos, there are myriad other bird species that inhabit the lake and the area surrounding it, such as fish eagle, goliath heron, hamerkop, pied kingfisher and verreaux eagle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nakuru

http://www.kws.org/parks/parks_reserves/LNNP.html
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:36 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm pretty sure I saw all big 5 when I first when I went there with a guide years ago. Earlier this year on my own I believe I saw Elephants, Rhino's, Giraffes, lots of water buffalo, etc., but I don't recall seeing any cats. But cats aren't easy to spot during the day in a low car. Maybe if I was up high in one of those tourist rovers.
Hey Stimpy, as Johan said, Nakuru National Park has no Elephant. The park is too small and also fenced. I have never seen Cheetah there either. I will be there from Sunday to Tuesday this week, and will report back. I hear the Lake is quite full, so lots of Flamingo's. Looking forward to it.

Latest report from Nairobi National Park is that there are two pride of lion - total of around 13 cats. Leopard has also been spotted recently. Cheetah not in a while. Rhino and Buffalo regularly.^
Old Aug 28, 2010, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Latest report from Nairobi National Park is that there are two pride of lion - total of around 13 cats.
Cool, that's good news. Lion have been struggling in NNP and the rangelands south thereof, due to encroaching farming and urbanization, as well persecution by pastoralists.

Leopard has also been spotted recently.
I found one sleeping on the only stretch of tar in the park, just after Langata gate. The trick is to enter as soon as the gates open, the chances of encountering a leopard are much greater in darkness and twilight.

Cheetah not in a while.
Years ago, I had a fantastic sighting of a cheetah with five cubs, chasing some black-backed jackals round and round my car for about ½ an hour.

Rhino and Buffalo regularly.
I would argue that NNP is the best place anywhere to see black rhino, better even that the Ngorongoro Crater. They are often out in the open, and quite habituated. I once almost had to push three of them off a road, where they were sleeping in a pile. They even venture out of the park at times, and can be seen on the other side of the Mgabathi/Athi River.

NNP is a really nice little park. Pocket-sized; game fairly abundant and easy to spot; often not that busy; and ridiculously close to downtown Nairobi. I normally reach it in 15-20 minutes from the Norfolk if I leave at 5h30 a.m.

Johan
Old May 25, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
nbo - Nairobi based safari

booked ewr to nbo on UA (good fare). end of Jan , 10 days Now need ideas for safari, tours.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Old May 26, 2013, 1:33 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
I'd look at:

* 3 nights Masai Mara
* 2 nights in Samburu
* 3 nights Laikipia

Best would be to fly from place to place.

Have a look at: http://www.fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/

And

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...216-Kenya.html
Old May 27, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
Thank you,
just got an email advertising a new lodge Segera Retreat, have you heard of it?
Old May 28, 2013, 12:56 pm

Are you set on touring Kenya or would you be open to a quick transfer to Kilimanjaro international to instead do the northern Tanzania circuit?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 2:58 pm

Planning safari out of Nairobi area... various questions, thanks!

My plan is to land in NBO on July 24 at 3:45 am. I fly out of NBO on Aug 2 at 4 pm. That will give me 9 full days in the Nairobi area. I want to plan a safari but am not sure where to start. Tripadvisor highly rates East Africa Adventure Tours, and they have a variety of tours, ranging from 3 days to a couple of weeks. I'm sure my wife and I will be jet-lagged so we'll probably need to adjust the first day, leaving us with with 8 days. Furthermore, that company also has air safaris, in which we are flown to Masai Mara and other parks in a small plane before hopping on a safari jeep. Those are all 3 days. Any recommendations on duration and which parks we should see? How about air vs ground?

The other main question is... what do I do with my luggage on such a safari? For example, I land in NBO and let's say we embark on a 5-day safari. Our trip will total 13 nights so we'll have a lot of luggage. Do we bring all our luggage on the jeep or small plane during this safari? Or do I have to check in to a hotel in Nairobi and leave my luggage there even when we're on safari?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL
the limit for ground safaris is 33 lbs, and maybe less for air. We have been unable to secure safe storage for our luggage in Nairobi, and so will be packing very light.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by willing292
the limit for ground safaris is 33 lbs, and maybe less for air. We have been unable to secure safe storage for our luggage in Nairobi, and so will be packing very light.
33 lbs is VERY little especially when you have a wife.

Seriously, I don't see any way we can pack for 2 weeks for 2 different areas and have everything under 66 lbs total. I think our luggage for a 4 day trip to Chicago a couple weeks ago exceeded that!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:32 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Don't bring clothing for two weeks. Laundry service is cheap and quick in most places. Make sure you pick an itinerary where you stay in the same place (lodge) for at least two nights, otherwise the daily packing up is dreadful. Any serious hotel will keep your extra luggage during your safari, if not, the safari company might have a place to store it.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Ghentleman
Don't bring clothing for two weeks. Laundry service is cheap and quick in most places. Make sure you pick an itinerary where you stay in the same place (lodge) for at least two nights, otherwise the daily packing up is dreadful. Any serious hotel will keep your extra luggage during your safari, if not, the safari company might have a place to store it.
I want to make sure I understand this-- the hotel in Nairobi will hold my large luggage while I go on safari for several days? How much does the hotel charge to hold that luggage? Will I have to book a room and leave it unattended? If not, what's in it for the hotel to hold my luggage?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I want to make sure I understand this-- the hotel in Nairobi will hold my large luggage while I go on safari for several days? How much does the hotel charge to hold that luggage? Will I have to book a room and leave it unattended? If not, what's in it for the hotel to hold my luggage?
I know for a fact that the Norfolk Fairmont Hotel in Nairobi will not hold luggage. You had better get it in writing for wherever you are staying. A safari company might be a good idea.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:00 pm

What do most people do with their luggage?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
What do most people do with their luggage?
I got back from Nairobi a couple of weeks ago. We did a safari with Gamewatchers in their adventure camps in Amboseli and Ol Kinyei. I would highly recommend them - we stayed at the Adventure Camps which are the budget accommodations - two man tents with mattress and sleeping bags. They also operate the Porini camps which are a bit more upscale. They can put together a safari for you - I would definitely recommend doing more than one location.

Gamewatchers will hold your luggage for you in their office while you are on safari. The internal flights there all have a limit of 33 lbs per person.

We stayed at the Aero Club of East Africa while in Nairobi. We picked them as we had an early morning flight from Wilson airport which is where the club is located. We were able to leave a bag with them while we were gone. The rooms are not 5-star hotel rooms but worked fine for us.

Ed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.