Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Kenya Safari ex Nairobi / NBO (short-long, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kenya Safari ex Nairobi / NBO (short-long, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2009, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Originally Posted by crystal_cad
How about Governor's Camp in the Masai Mara.

5* service and dining, can't rate it enough. 3 game viewings each day.

Short flight from NBO
You can't beat flying to the Mara and staying in 'tented' accommodation.

Governor's Camp is meant to be excellent. I've stayed at http://www.entim-mara.com/ and would thoroughly recommend it.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Thanks guys. Masai Mara is the most rained out place in Kenya in May. I have decided that Samburu might be the way to go. Looks like better weather...

Does anybody know the area?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Fly as close to Samburu as you can. The roads are awful. I would also vote for Governor's but not in May. Grass is too high and the rains make the roads a challenge for your drivers.

I only stayed overnight in NBO Hilton, all I can say is that you know you are in Africa - you need to manage expections.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While cross posting is against FT rules, we'll give this a short run here then move over to the Africa forum to be merged.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 2:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
May means high grass. For game viewing, the Nairobi NP might be sufficient if done early a.m.

For a truely unique experience, I'd go to Lamu on the northeastern coast. The islands are only packed during winter - May is off-season and the place is relaxed. Unique mix between Africa and the Middle East & much better preserved than Zanzibar (but that's just my humble opinion).

Actually, in lieu of this forum, I'd dearly recommend Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Three Free Days in NBO. Safari Suggestions?

So I will have an open weekend in NBO, leaving me with three free nights to see the country.

I am interested in taking a two-night, three-day safari somewhere in the vicinity and am hoping someone can provide suggestions/experiences. I am not looking for luxury, just a middle-of-the-road package. Being in a park with the "Big 5" is preferred as is being within driving distance to NBO. Any help is appreciated.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Nairobi national park wouldn't be a bad place to start.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:17 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
The nearest place to Nairobi to see the Big 5 would be The Masai Mara. For 3 nights, I would recommend a flying package, as the road trip can take 5-6 hours each way.

Near Nairobi there is Nairobi National Park, but this would be a day trip. Lion, Buffalo and Rhino are fairly easy to spot, but there is no elephant, and leopard/cheetah much harder to come by.

Lake Nakuru National Park is around a 2-3 hour drive away, and has the Big 5 except the Elephant.

Good luck and have fun.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Near Nairobi there is Nairobi National Park, but this would be a day trip. Lion, Buffalo and Rhino are fairly easy to spot, but there is no elephant, and leopard/cheetah much harder to come by.
The trick is to hit the gate as it opens at 6 a.m. This considerably increases your chances of seeing leopard, and you will have the place to yourself until the annoying tour groups show up in their vans.

Johan
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: UA, AA Gold, Delta, HHonors Diamond, Marriott, Starwood
I like Amboseli. You can get the classic shot of elephants with Kilimanjaro in the background.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles (silver) & AA Advantage
Depending on the time of the year, I would also suggest Maasai Mara around the migration (July - Sept/Oct).

You may want to check with MICS Safari which is who we're using for our 12 days in 2011. I've been working with Peter, who has been fantastic in working with me to build the specific trip for me and five friends.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
The nearest place to Nairobi to see the Big 5 would be The Masai Mara.
No, the nearest is Nakuru. It's less than 2 hours by car. Plus you have the lake with it's million-plus Flamingos. And you can DIY and just take your own rental car up there. My first time I went on a hotel tour, and the second time just did it myself. There are some great photo spots along the way as you descend into the Rift Valley.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
No, the nearest is Nakuru.
To see the B5?

Johan
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm pretty sure I saw all big 5 when I first when I went there with a guide years ago. Earlier this year on my own I believe I saw Elephants, Rhino's, Giraffes, lots of water buffalo, etc., but I don't recall seeing any cats. But cats aren't easy to spot during the day in a low car. Maybe if I was up high in one of those tourist rovers.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm pretty sure I saw all big 5 when I first when I went there with a guide years ago. Earlier this year on my own I believe I saw Elephants, Rhino's, Giraffes, lots of water buffalo, etc., but I don't recall seeing any cats. But cats aren't easy to spot during the day in a low car. Maybe if I was up high in one of those tourist rovers.
I have never seen any elephant in Nakuru, and I'm pretty sure that's because there aren't any. Lion and leopard for sure, and also buffalo (but not water buffalo, that's an Asian species).

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.