Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone climbed Kilimanjaro here?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Anyone climbed Kilimanjaro here?

Hi everyone!

My friend and I were thinking of going to Tanzania to climb Kilimanjaro, see the Ngoro crater, and hopefully take lots of snapshots of wildlife etc.
Has anyone here climbed Kilimanjaro? I have asked my friends and most told me to get there first and then hire local help as opposed to the typical American guide companies.
Anyone have any experience with this or the crater or the travel route?
I was thinking of flying into Nairobi from LHR.
Cheers!
Old Dec 5, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gol; Starwood Gold; Marriott Silver; PC Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
Anyone climbed Kilamjaro here?

http://www.financialpost.com/scripts...3ce1f7&k=88708

Elaine Dembe (chiropractor in Toronto, Canada) just did it with a group of 17 other women - leaving the day after she fixed my back! Her story is at the above link.

Track her down and give her a call. I'm sure she'd be helpful.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Premier Executive
I climbed Kilimanjaro in 1973, so my experience of local guides and outfitters won't be of much help, I'm afraid. But it was a spectacular experience and I could tell you stories for hours. I hope you're able to make the trek.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:10 pm

Programs: 1K
Ann Curry from the Today Show just tried it about 2 weeks ago but had to turn back due to weather and time see the link below:

http://allday.msnbc.msn.com/archive/...3/1672338.aspx

Also, if you google 'Ann Curry Kilimanjaro' you will find other links regarding her trip. Perhaps you will find helpful information through these links.

DD
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA Gold, Delta, HHonors Diamond, Marriott, Starwood
I climbed Kili in 2006. I got to Arusha and went around to a couple agencies before deciding. I recommend you do that if you have the time. I ended up going with Roy Safaris (recommended). I did the Marangu (Coca-Cola) route with the extra day for acclimatization; made it to Uhuru peak! I think it costs about $1,000 per person.

This is a good source for more info on Kili: http://www.mtkilimanjarologue.com/
This site used to be more informational and less trying to sell you on a trip but it's still helpful.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:04 am

Programs: AA Plt
Hmm, I haven't done it since 2005, but my experience lined up pretty well with sadeghi's. I lived in Africa at the time and was able to find local agencies who could get a couple of us up to the top for about $1,000 a pop. Most of that goes to the Tanzanian government, some to the trip operators, and a pittance to the guides and porters who will go up with you. That's why it's important to tip 10-20% of the total cost to these guys (split among the group) at the end.

I put our trip together through a Ugandan operator, but obviously you would be better off with a Kenyan one. I would suggest getting things together before you land in NBO, as I wouldn't want to start a vacation with the stress of finding a travel agent and working out details. In terms of travel to Kenya, BA will get you there in good shape, but as will most of the major European airlines, so you really have your pick. Is there a reason you're not flying to Dar?

With respect, I would definitely suggest not taking the Marangu route. It has the fewest vistas, you sleep with hundreds in huts every night, and it's a boring walk. If you're used to hillwalking at all, I'd suggest the Machame route, and if you're an accomplished hiker/scrambler, there are even more interesting ways up. Tell us how you get on!
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
Like sadeghi we did the climb in 2006 with Roy Safaris I would certainlty recommend Roy's agaiin -- they were great. We also did the Marangu route (my son was 14 at the time and i wanted the benefit of an easier hike). Since we went in early June, the sites were busy, but not crowded.

That being said, I agree with ajohn that the alternative routes would make for a better hike -- but I wasn't disappointed at all with what we did.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Our group of 8 climbed Kili in January '06. All 8 of us made it.
We used African Walking Company and they were excellent.
The food was pretty good, however, I hope you like soup.

We took the Rongai Route and enjoyed it. You really shouldn't take the Marangu Route. When you take the Rongai up, you get to take the Marangu back anyway.

We were glad we camped instead of staying in the huts. The bathrooms at Kibo huts were some of the foulest smelling ever. The bathrooms on the Rongai were much better.

I do have to admit that I enjoyed drinking my cold Kilimanjaro beer at Kibo after by descent from the peak, though.

Rich

Last edited by puchalskir; Feb 8, 2010 at 10:16 am
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
I went up the Machame Route with three friends this past July. I highly recommend the Machame; it's less crowded than Marangu, at seven or eight days allows more time for acclimitization, and the terrain is varied (ups and downs), and there are great views of the snow-capped peak and Mt. Meru. Of course, being a longer route, you do pay more in park fees (around $100/day).

There is a very considerable range of guides and tours, and I do not recommend choosing one based on price alone; definitely seek out references. Our guides (http://www.africanbroexpeditions.com/ ) were fun but responsible, and went so far as to teach us about the local geology and flora and fauna on the ascent. But we met some groups with mediocre guides, who might fail to explain the day's hike profile, or spoke very poor English; on the low end there are guides who are careless about pacing, or who barely speak to their hikers at all, not good as the popularity of the mountain does not diminish its dangers.

It is possible, theoretically, to get a good guide and still have an inexpensive tour. But be careful. Some operators save by skimping on food or on pay for the staff, which means their porters (who are for the most part "independent contractors") may be of lower quality, or more aggressive about tips.

It turned out we booked a fairly high-end tour, frankly excessive (they even had one porter, or "solider" as they preferred to be called, carrying a portable toilet up the mountain for us to use at camp). But we had plenty to eat and drink, and felt very safe. And there is something to be said for being served tea or coffee in the morning in your tent. It's hard to break out the price as our package included several days' safari, a costly but nearly worthless "cultural tour," and so on, but I'd estimate the Kilimanjaro component was at least $1800.

PM me if you want more details.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
You're in for a fantastic experience. I booked ahead of time and I'm glad I did. I just didn't want the hassle of shopping around after I got there and I also wanted to be able to research who I was going with.

I agree with other posters - price is no guarantee, but the cheaper prices often mean a compromise on food quality and guide quality. Avoid the huts if you can - we camped and were much better off, the huts can be pretty foul.

Take your time unless you're into peak-bagging. We took 10 days, went partway up the Machame (to Shira), spiralled up the mountain and came back down the Umwe (?). It's a fantastic mountain, largest mountain mass on the planet, I think, so the different sides have different vegetation, scenery, geology. We crossed the Marangu - what a pit. It will probably cost more to take a more time and/or a less-travelled route, but I'm sure your experience will be much better.

I also agree with another poster - I flew SEA-LHR-Arusha; my companions flew UK-AMS-Arusha. We all flew back from Dar. Unless there's a big price break or you really want to see NBO, I'd consider one of the other two airports.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:26 pm

We’re also climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro

We’re planning our climb for December 2009. Although it is one if the rainy seasons, that is the only time we can make it. The responses have been helpful.

I think we’ll have a group of 4-8. Should be an amazing experience.

Thanks to those who have taken time to post. The responses are interesting and helpful to hear when planning.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanx for the tips and input everyone! I'll be sure to post a link to the pix when I do it!
Cheers!
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
We are going next month (Feb 2009). Using Zara Tours and taking the Machame-Mweka route. 7 day climb. Will let everybody know how we fare.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 1:50 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Some friends of mine are going for the climb, leaving next week.. I'm still debating if I want to join them. Not likely to get the time off though.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:51 am

Programs: Onepass Platinum
Originally Posted by gardener
We are going next month (Feb 2009). Using Zara Tours and taking the Machame-Mweka route. 7 day climb. Will let everybody know how we fare.
Zara is an outstanding company. I used them in 2000 for my climb on Kili. Their hotel (Springland or Springfield) in Moshi that we stayed at was also very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.