Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone climbed Kilimanjaro here?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Trip of a lifetime

Well, I promised to let everybody know how it went. I was well pleased with Zara and their Springlands hotel.

My 4 friends all made it to Uhuru Peak, I only made it as far as Stella Point. The last climb on the Machame-Mweka route, from Barafu camp to the summit, is incredibly hard. The air is very thin above 15,000 feet. We started at midnight and my friends got to Stella in 7 hours, it took me 9. They were coming back to Stella from Uhuru just as I arrived. I got a great picture of the sunrise over Mawenzi.

Zara provided 3 guides the last day so everyone could go at their own pace and still be with a guide.

I will never forget the 7 days I spent on Kili. Truly a life changing experience.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 5:49 am

We just returned from climbing Kili. We used Thomson Treks (Tazania-based, office in Boston) and can't say enough good things about them. Their guides all spoke great english, were fun to be with, and clearly took their jobs seriously. The porters were amazing too.

Our route was the "western approach" which starts at Lemosho gate, camped at Forest, Shira 1 & 2, Lava Tower, Karanga, Barafu, Crater, and Mweka. It was one of the most amazing things we've ever done. And we made Uhuru
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:02 pm

Just had to share....

Just received a phone call from my son from the summit of Kilimanjaro. He sounded tired, but exhilarated. He said he was the first to reach the summit today (6:00 a.m. his time). My turn next year, maybe?
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Air Koryo Loyal Comrades
Did anyone try the Umbwe route? Friend of mine will do it in late March.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:31 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
Hi

I have done Kilimanjaro...the Machame route. Here is a trip report with some photos http://gardkarlsen.com/kilimanjaro_index.htm . I hope it can be of help to others that are doing the trek :-)
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
I know this thread is old, but I just summited Kili and wanted to share. I used Zara Tours as well and would recommend them, though not their equipment (consider bringing your own tent).

I have more details on my travel blog.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:37 am

Hey there!

I also climbed Kili in June 2012

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 5, 2012 at 8:41 am Reason: Blog-flogging. If you want to share, please do it here on FT
Old Oct 6, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I climbed Kilimanjaro in 2005. Well, I should actual say I climbed about 3/5ths of Kilimanjaro in 2005. Came down with a case of high altitude pulmonary edema, and had to be evacuated off the mountain on a stretcher.

I used Africa Travel Resource to book, who use local company The African Walking Company to provide the guides.

I booked the Rongai route. I was doing a six day climb (5 up, 2 down with the summit day being both an up and down day). The guides were excellent - both in the way up, in assessing my condition and getting me down off the mountain when it became apparent that I should go down. The food was decent and filling, though the higher we got the less variety that we got in our diet.

I wrote a bit more about it on my blog, with an entry on the company and guides, details on the route and the experience of the climb, including the episode with HAPE.

Greg
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:05 pm

I would love to do this, looks like its gonna cost at least $4k unfortunately. Decent chunk of change...
Old Oct 14, 2012, 3:35 am
Suspended

A climb does not cost $4,000 per person unless you're factoring in international airfare, etc. The climb by itself can be booked easily for less than 35 percent of that amount.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Newbie with questions re: Kilimanjaro

I am new to the Africa forum and have a question about climbing the Kili.

My nephew is 25, in very good health/physical shape and wants to climb Kilimanjaro next July.

1. Is it safe from a political/security point of view? I know parts of Africa are incredibly safe and probably safer than many places in the US but some are not.
2. Has anybody bought evacuation insurance?
3. Is there such thing as being helicoptered out if he is sick? I know helicopters are limited by altitude and weather conditions.
4. Any special immunizations needed?
5. What medications apart from Diamox and Steroids would you bring with you? I know the company he wants to use (based in the US) carries oxygen and a portable "hyperbaric chamber". Is a hyperbaric chamber an overkill?

Thank you very much for your help.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:32 am
Suspended

(1) Tanzania is very safe relative to most other African countries, especially for a male.

(2) Medical evacuation insurance is a great idea.

(3) Refer to this: http://voices.yahoo.com/kilimanjaro-...n-8646793.html

(4) Malaria prophylaxis is necessary for when your nephew is at lower elevations. For more information, refer to: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/tanzania.htm

(5) Why would your nephew need steroids? A hyperbaric chamber is not overkill. The chamber is very portable.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Oct 18, 2012 at 12:37 am
Old Nov 16, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
It would seem that things have become a great deal more organized than when I walked up the mountain in 1983...

Maybe my hips and knees will permit another attempt -- someday.

Fred
Old Nov 16, 2012, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
It would seem that things have become a great deal more organized than when I walked up the mountain in 1983...
Ahh!. I also went Kilimanjaro up in '83 (Nov). Quite possibly this same weekend as now, as it was just after the Melb Cup. I had been into the Dar embassy to find out the winner in the days before.

More organized & people more scared ? Hyperbaric chamber totally unknown in those days. I walked the first 2 days in flip flops, just like the porters footwear. I just shake my head when I see (silly) comments / questions on what to wear / take in Africa.

Note: Mwenenzi is Swahili for traveler / wanderer

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 16, 2012 at 3:24 pm
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From this TR http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ng-safari.html an great image of Kilimanjaro
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5...4/IMAG0666.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.