Wiki Posts
Search

Best time for Victoria Falls?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Best time for Victoria Falls?

Have been searching the web for info on the best time to visit Victoria Falls-- but each site seems to give a different opinion-- very frustrating.

I've seen pictures of the Falls in October when there is almost no water-- and pictures at other times of the year when the spray completely obscures the view-- is there something in-between? My schedule is flexible, but the preferred time for me to visit would be in January or February. Any advice would be appreciated...
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:24 pm

I visited at the end of October last year. I wasn't blown away by the volume of water but it was very scenic. The guide I had said that the low water months were her favorite time because you could see the rock formations between the waterfalls that during the high water months would be covered by a sheet of water.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Larry422
is there something in-between? My schedule is flexible, but the preferred time for me to visit would be in January or February. Any advice would be appreciated...
I've visited a number of times in January and February, and that time of year should be just fine. One caveat, though: everything depends on rainfall, which varies from year to year. Rain that falls upstream in Angola and Zambia takes many months to make its way down the Zambezi to the falls.

Johan
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
What's the situation with the rain right now? We're planning to visit it either late September or next April/May.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
We went in early December and it was nice. There was enough water for some spray but not too much to obscure the view. We were talking with people that had been there earlier that year by a week or so and they said there wasnt much water. It seems to vary a lot from year to year. I would probably recommend getting more into the rainy season, I think it better to risk too much water than not enough.

Here is a picture from when we were there.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Great.. the best time for me is early February, sounds like that will work out well.

One other question--- this is really a pop-in visit on the way to Cape Town, just see the Falls and back out. Is it feasible to do this with only one overnight? The flight to Livingstone arrives at 12:30 PM; the flight back the next day leaves at 1:15. Would that be sufficient time? I'd really like to save the time and money for Cape Town...
Old Aug 18, 2008, 2:51 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by Larry422
Great.. the best time for me is early February, sounds like that will work out well.

One other question--- this is really a pop-in visit on the way to Cape Town, just see the Falls and back out. Is it feasible to do this with only one overnight? The flight to Livingstone arrives at 12:30 PM; the flight back the next day leaves at 1:15. Would that be sufficient time? I'd really like to save the time and money for Cape Town...
More than enough.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
More than enough.
Although February is smack bang in the middle of the rainy season. Enough heavy rain to somewhat diminish the experience cannot be entirely ruled out.

Johan
Old Aug 18, 2008, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Although February is smack bang in the middle of the rainy season. Enough heavy rain to somewhat diminish the experience cannot be entirely ruled out.

Johan
I agree about the weather possibility. My wife and I discussed that if we went back to see the falls again we would try to land at the airport, charter a helicopter to see the falls and go back to the airport and fly out the same day.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:46 am

I was there in October 2007--definitely light on water but no regrets.

And the bungee jump was excellent!

Last edited by bigbrownboy; Aug 23, 2008 at 9:06 am Reason: fixing links
Old Aug 23, 2008, 6:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
If the rains have been good, you won't actually see much. IMO, it adds to it when you can see the topography, and perhaps run into an ad hoc marimba band under a big tree on the trail to the falls... or, as I did, come upon an opera singer offering a beautiful rendition of "Ave Maria" a capella at the Devil's Cauldron (I was later able to get a CD of her singing the same, and it added a nice touch to my iPod.)

And unlike others, I enjoy Vic Falls and the area. On the Zim side, the rain forest has interesting birds and small mammals, and there are wildlife parks near enough to Vic Falls one can see interesting sightings, depending on rains and other criteria. You can arrange to consult an nganga for whatever ails you, as well. Or pick up a fairly nice Shona carving in serpentine, verdite or other stone you will be proud to showcase in your home. (See some examples here.)
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by ojala
What's the situation with the rain right now? We're planning to visit it either late September or next April/May.

ojala,

I am traveling there next week. Do you end up going in your previous post you mentioned April as a possibility.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by tasnam
ojala,

I am traveling there next week. Do you end up going in your previous post you mentioned April as a possibility.
I just got back from a visit to the Falls. The river is incredibly flooded, near the lodge we stayed at the flooding is the worst since 1960! There was a tremendous amount of water pouring over the falls but depending on the winds you could still get a good view of the falls. Definitely view it from the Zimbabwe side (or both sides). Don't limit yourself to the Zambia side.

Hope you enjoy your visit!!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by uva185
I just got back from a visit to the Falls. The river is incredibly flooded, near the lodge we stayed at the flooding is the worst since 1960! There was a tremendous amount of water pouring over the falls but depending on the winds you could still get a good view of the falls. Definitely view it from the Zimbabwe side (or both sides). Don't limit yourself to the Zambia side.

Hope you enjoy your visit!!

UVA - Fantastic Blog!!!!!!

Where did you stay in VFA and what did they charge you for VISA's?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by tasnam
UVA - Fantastic Blog!!!!!!

Where did you stay in VFA and what did they charge you for VISA's?
We did not stay overnight in Victoria Falls. We did a tour and went to Botswana for a safari. The charge was $30 USD for a Single Entry visa (it's possible it was a transit visa.) I am a US Citizen....I think its more for Brits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.