Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Mai Mai Market in Johannesburg - guide recommended or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2006, 9:28 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist

Sounds like a fascinating place. I've read conflicting things on the Mai Mai Market - some say go with a guide, some say no need. Do you get a lot more out of it with a guide? Has it become too touristy? Worth visiting? General comments on visiting?

I'm also looking at making a point to visit the Bus Factory and Amatuli. Would these be the best picks in Johannesburg for arts and crafts or would you recommend other places?

Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

OK ... someone here has to have been to the Mai Mai Market ... anyone???
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by letiole
Sounds like a fascinating place. I've read conflicting things on the Mai Mai Market - some say go with a guide, some say no need. Do you get a lot more out of it with a guide? Has it become too touristy? Worth visiting? General comments on visiting?

I'm also looking at making a point to visit the Bus Factory and Amatuli. Would these be the best picks in Johannesburg for arts and crafts or would you recommend other places?

Thanks
You've read all the Flyertalk and VirturalTourist advice on JNB already, I suppose.

Seriously, please consider a reputable guide, especially if you are travelling alone and aren't going with locals you already know. Maybe I'm being overly careful?

And please post your experiences when you get back!

Have a safe and fun journey...
Old May 6, 2006, 2:47 pm

Still enroute on the interminable trip home from SA, but I did ask my friend whose office was near Mai Mai (an NGO). He said that women from the office would occasionally go during their lunch break. He thought it was generally safe, although I must say it is in a fairly dodgy and lonely part of town. I have been by it (sort of tucked under the southern M2 elevated freeway) in the southeast part of the CBD, but never had the interest to stop.

Amatuli is of course fine (Sandton Area) and the Bus Factory is fine in day time. That area (Newtown) is a really being restored nicely. New construction/rennovation, theatre, the arts community (such as it is) and even the Reserve Bank of South Africa is there. Should not be a problem. I haven't been to the Bus Factory in years, but it was interesting.

You did not mention the Sunday Rosebank Rooftop Market, which is huge, fun and interesting, and totally safe. Give it a go as well. Have fun.

Last edited by SOMA1K; May 7, 2006 at 10:46 am
Old May 6, 2006, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much SOMA1K. I was less concerned with safety issues at the market and more wondering if I'd get more out of it with a guide in terms of him being able to tell me what I was seeing and understanding what the traditional healers were doing and so forth. Either way I suspect it will be pretty fascinating.

Thanks for mentioning the Rooftop Market as well. I'll be sure and check it out, as well as the Bus Factory and Amatuli.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.