Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar w/Ngala's Main Camp @ Kruger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:12 am
Original Poster

I was planning to use main camps or specials from mtbeds for the Kruger/Sabi Sands part of my trip.

I have gotten a decent offer for a combination CC Africa's Ngala's Walking Safari + Ngala's Main Camp (3 nights + 2 nights).

I know their Tented Camp is fairly well regarded, but their main camp is larger -- maybe 20 cottages/huts. So I wondered if anyone was familiar with it or had any feedback?

http://www.ngala.co.za/

This would take up 5 of my 8 nights if I booked their offer. We will also be traveling to Botswana, so this isn't our 'whole trip'.

Also, my air transportation is in/out of Nelspruit. It seems a reasonable distance to Ngala's camps -- but correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:16 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Ngala is a sort of "middle range" bush lodge. Not nearly as grand as Singita etc. but certainly quite comfortable and even a touch luxurious. (In hotels terms it would equate to a run of the mill Conrad?) Certainly on 2 visits (neither recent) I have had wonderful staff, excellent game viewing - and adequate amenities given the price.

Can't comment on Nelspruit as the gateway, since I flew in on private charter both times. CC Africa could arrange that for you, sharing with others arriving/departing with you. Failing that they would tell you the most convenient way of getting there. Not sure if Hoedspruit isn't a better bet. The CCA fact sheet for Ngala says:
ACCESS
Federal Air operates a daily flight from Johannesburg International Airport to Ngala airstrip, which is a 45-minute drive from the camp. Daily SA Express scheduled flights from Johannesburg and Cape Town International Airports to Eastgate Airport. The transfer from Eastgate Airport is by road and takes one hour. Ngala is accessible for guests by two-wheel drive vehicle. Driving time from Johannesburg is 5 hours on excellent roads.

But I've never heard of Eastgate Airport!
Old Mar 17, 2006, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.

I have actually already secured airfare into/out of Nelspruit -- so I have to work with that no matter which camp we choose.

As to luxury, CCAfrica states Ngala is listed in the small luxury hotel guide or something similar. It didn't strike you as being on that scale?

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 2006, 7:38 am

Ngala

As to luxury, CCAfrica states Ngala is listed in the small luxury hotel guide or something similar. It didn't strike you as being on that scale

No not at all. Its a basic old time camp and make sure you stay there first! I did'nt know better but after we stayed at three other camps it really showed its lack of style. The worst part of Ngala is the location. Think of a flag and its pole and the camp sits at the bottom of the pole and Kruger is the flag. Well you have to drive 45 min to get to good game viewing and that wastes lots of time and CCAfrica know this!
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info ^
Old Mar 19, 2006, 5:48 am

Small Luxury Hotels of the World are a motley bunch. There is definitely no uniform standard of luxury. And it's very difficult to know what other people's standards of luxury are: until I became familiar with the Luxury Hotels board on FT I was under the happy delusion that some places I had stayed in were in the luxury category - but by FT standards I was apparently too easily impressed! Still, I stand by my comparison of Ngala with Conrad. Nothing wrong with it - but probably not going to impress the pants off your friends.

As to game viewing my experiences were totally different to those of zigzag. On the very first morning game drive we came upon a pride of lion not more than a few hundred yards away. On the same trip the ranger at Londolozi was mortified that he could find no leopard for us. (Londo's is legendary for leopard.) Of course it is the luck of the draw: in a game park the size of Wales you can't expect animals on demand like you can at a zoo. But even if you see none of the big five (extremely unlikely) the bush experience and the wealth of other animals and birds will make it worthwhile.

BTW my favourite bush lodge is called Nottens Bush Camp in the Sabi Sands Reserve. (Very accessible from Nelspruit.) It's small, very unpretentious (no rose petals in the bath and nonsense like that) and basic in some respects (no air conditioning - unless they have changed that). But all the important stuff is right: the people are great, the food wonderful and for my taste the experience feels more authentic than the colonial fantasy (or worse, OTT modern spa etc.) that most luxury lodges tout these days. I can understand the allure of the super luxury lodges and I am far from immune to their siren call, but my best experiences have been at more intimate and simple ones.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info

Nottens is on my short list -- so good to hear feedback.

I think I am going to pass on the Ngala Main Camp and go with my first plan... I have 8 nights in Kruger + surrounding parks. I plan to use main camps from sanpark.org for 4-5 nights, and mtbeds specials for 3-4 nights.

If I go with the special for Ngala, it is a 5 night package (3 walking safari + 2 ngala main camp), that would be comitting the majority of my time and budget and I'm not REALLY sure that's what I want to do.

Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
BTW my favourite bush lodge is called Nottens Bush Camp in the Sabi Sands Reserve.
Cheetah_SA, do you usually book direct w/Nottens or is there an agency that gets any discounts for them? I realize they are less expensive than many of the camps in SSGR. I got a quote directly from them for Rand 1800 PPPN (btw). Thanks
Old May 2, 2006, 4:00 am

I have always booked directly with Nottens (via a friend - who actually ran the place for a while) and seem to get a modest discount. Not sure that they ever discount aggressively. But that may have changed now that the rand is so strong and scaring the foreigners away.

Never used them but I see mtbeds offers a last minute special of R1250 (must book within 7 days of travelling).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.