Wiki Posts
Search

Camps Bay as base in Cape Town?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2006, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Camps Bay as base in Cape Town?

My two dilemmas for my stay in Cape Town:

1) B&B (meet great local people) vs Self Catering (some amazing bargains)

2) Location to choose... Are any of these areas "great" or "definitely skip"? The places I like so far are in --
Oranjezicht
Hout Bay
Tamboerskloof
Bantry Bay
Camps Bay
I am looking at a few different places. A self catering apt in Camps Bay is at the top of the list right now. Is Camps Bay fine for a base? We will have a car and probably about 4 nights before starting the Garden Route.

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2006, 3:08 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Camps Bay is lovely. Long white beach (freezing water, of course), backed by the mountain, plenty of restaurants, easy access by car to city etc. while still being in a largely residential area.

Bantry Bay is very uspscale residential. Closer to city, Waterfront but fewer amenities on your doorstep.

Oranjezicht and Tamboerskloof are "City Bowl" - i.e. nestled between the city and Table Mountain. Residential area, close to loads of restaurants and very convenient and popular for B&B's.

Hout Bay is further out and a bit in the country. Although it has many attractive parts I'm not sure I would want it as a base purely because of the drive to get anywhere (except Cape Point), scenic though it is.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 3:17 am

Programs: United 1P
one thing you may want to consider is the season that you are visiting. During summer (especially around christmas), cape town is very busy, and getting in and out of camps bay can sometimes take quite a long time. Saying that, its such a great place, I consider it worth the effort!
Old Feb 15, 2006, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
There's only one road in and out of Camps Bay.. with no street lights!

It's beautiful in the day time.. but at night.. be careful of baboons on the road!
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:18 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
There's only one road in and out of Camps Bay.. with no street lights!
Not true: it is the most used road by commuters to the city but there is also the perfectly viable alternative coastal road via Clifton and Sea Point. And the much darker. windier road up through The Glen.

I'm also surprised at the mention of baboons at night since baboons are diurnal. (I have never seen any on this road at any time of day - but maybe that's because I would typically use the coastal road. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.