Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Photos from Botswana

<deleted>

Last edited by birdstrike; Oct 31, 2008 at 11:18 am
Old Feb 5, 2006, 11:44 am

Programs: DL PM
Wonderful photos and you were lucky to see wild dogs! Looking forward to your trip report and I hope all went well and that you were happy with the services of PT.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 2:17 pm

Fantastic photos, Rick. I loved them all, especially the dog pics (oh, the teeth!!), the lion cub, the chilled-out leopard, and all the birds. Was the leopard the same one who'd made the kill? And was that a mongoose that you also saw? Which camp(s) did you take these at?
Old Feb 5, 2006, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jac747
Wonderful photos and you were lucky to see wild dogs! Looking forward to your trip report and I hope all went well and that you were happy with the services of PT.
Very happy with PT. Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will use them again.

Originally Posted by wideman
Fantastic photos, Rick. I loved them all, especially the dog pics (oh, the teeth!!), the lion cub, the chilled-out leopard, and all the birds. Was the leopard the same one who'd made the kill? And was that a mongoose that you also saw? Which camp(s) did you take these at?
Thank you! The leopard is the same one. We came back the next day to the tree where it had cached the impala and there it was...

The Mongoose was a "thin mongoose" I was told. That was one I was surprised came out at all. It wasn't until we got home that I saw I had actually caught it. It was far away and moving fast.

The leopard was at Savute, the mongoose was at Moremi and we stayed at Kwetsani to start.

I'd love to go back.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdstrike
The Mongoose was a "thin mongoose" I was told.
It is a Slender Mongoose, Galerella sanguinea. Diurnal, solitary and common, it is probably the mongoose most often seen within its range.

Johan
Old Feb 6, 2006, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
It is a Slender Mongoose, Galerella sanguinea. Diurnal, solitary and common, it is probably the mongoose most often seen within its range.
Thank you Johan. I will amend my trip notes. I am quite a fan of mongeese as one can tell from my sig
Old Mar 2, 2006, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, Delta
Birdstrike, great pictures! I'm planning a trip to Botswana next year. You've inspired me to get a better camera than my current model.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Fantastic pictures! I'm starting to work on my wife to take a safari in 2-3+ years after I'm gainfully employed again.

An observation: Everything I've read sez to wear muted khaki/green/brown.
What's up with pic img_4829.jpg?
Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Absolutely wonderful pictures! What a great variety of animals you captured.

I was thinking the same thing about 4829.jpg. These safari vehicles don't look very safe when a lion is nearby...except he probably wasn't hungry. But just a little hop up and he could have had any one of you.

What kind of camera did you use?
Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nanook
Absolutely wonderful pictures! What a great variety of animals you captured.
Thank you! Botswana is the most photogenic place I've ever seen, and I've traveled a fair bit.

I was thinking the same thing about 4829.jpg. These safari vehicles don't look very safe when a lion is nearby...except he probably wasn't hungry. But just a little hop up and he could have had any one of you.
Oh, yeah. Those folks. The lion was one of the pair from img_4818.jpg and the were really that close. Those tourists seemed pretty oblivious the whole trip. You can see the guide is keeping close watch while the others are like "Lion?, who cares"?

I do have to say that we came quite close to lion, cheetah, and leopard and they paid almost no attention to the vehicles. Only the elephants seemed to know that there were people inside.

What kind of camera did you use?
I have a Canon 10D. That shot used a 70-200 f2.8 IS lens at f8 1/350 98mm.

Last edited by birdstrike; Apr 9, 2006 at 11:17 pm Reason: spel
Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
NICE photos, birdstrike! ^ Very few places in the world can you get photos of Lycaon pictus, the African painted dog / African hunting dog - super! Botswana is indeed wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.