Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best car service from Cape Town city centre to airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Question Best car service from Cape Town city centre to airport

Your help would be most welcome....

Next month my girlfriend and I shall be staying in Cape Town and flying back to London quite early, flight leaves at 8.15am and am wondering what the best way to get from the Arabella Sheraton back to the airport is. We have rented a car for most of the period while we are touring but decided against this for our last few days in Cape Town itself.

I guess there is the conventional cab service but thought I'd treat us to something a little better as we are flying F back to London and it is rather an early start! I've got Sixt Platinum which advertises a 10% discount on limousine services as part of the status benefits and they have a long wheelbase S Class on offer which sounds rather good if it is the new model

Anyone with experiences, recommendations, rough prices would be most welcome

Thanks
Fraser

PS. Also posted in Travelbuzz
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:24 pm
Suspended

If you are SPG Plat you will qualify for a free transfer to the airport
( I received that on Dec 3, 2005)
Check with the Towers desk concierge. My lift was in the hotels 7 series BMW and a member of my group ( non SPG status) was charged ZA400 for the same the previous day.

mike
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
My girlfriend and I are both SPG Gold so I doubt very much whether we qualify for this....

Sounds like it is worthwhile speaking to the concierge upon my arrival. Thanks ^^^
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:43 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
at that time in the morning it is a 20 min run at most.. so leave it until you get there to book once checking into hotel

btw.. if you plan to go to robben island, call them up way in advance and book your slot.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by GK
btw.. if you plan to go to robben island, call them up way in advance and book your slot.
I did the Robben Island tour in December and I would agree with GK. Buy your tickets a day or two in advance if possible. It is easy since the ticket office is at the waterfront, and you'll likely be spending some time there anyway.

The ferry can be very rough sometimes. I always have a patch for motion sickness handy when I travel and it was def useful the day that I went. If you suffer as I do, just be properly prepared and you'll be fine.

I would advise taking the time either before or after your trip to Robben Island to view the exhibits in the small museum where the ferry docks. It isn't terribly high-tech, but the content is def worth a little time. You can see it all in an hour or two and it provides a lot of perspective on where South Africa was only a few years ago. When I realized that, I was truly amazed at how far they have come in less than 15 years regarding equality - in many ways, farther than the US has come in 140 years.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 3:16 pm
Suspended

The "new" OP is staying at the Arabella he can ask the Towers Conceirge to book the Robbin Island tour (as they did for us)
Yes they trip can be a bit rough and anyone not situated in the interior of the Ferry boat is likely to get pretty soaked.

Also dont to save time and it only a few mins walk to see the large colony of jackass peguins at the left ( facing Cape Town) much larger colony than the more popular colony at The Boulders.

mike
Old Mar 13, 2006, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
If you are SPG Plat you will qualify for a free transfer to the airport
( I received that on Dec 3, 2005)
Check with the Towers desk concierge. My lift was in the hotels 7 series BMW and a member of my group ( non SPG status) was charged ZA400 for the same the previous day.
As I wasn't in a Towers Room I didn't think it was worth speaking to them folks

I went to the Travel Desk to book the car and was told it was 350ZAR. I enquired about whether I could get a discount as we were both SPG Gold and the two people looked very confused. Was told it was 350ZAR for everyone. The ride was in the hotel's Merc van which was rather comfortable for the 20min ride but no 5-Series. I didn't see any 7-Series there.

To be honest our check-out was such a faff I was glad to leave in whatever means of transport were available
Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:20 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
When I need a ride to CPT airport, I use Avis point-to-point. They have several different levels of service, including a Merc. A ride from the Arabella Sheraton to the airport will cost about R250 in a Merc. They are in the 'phone book (or the concierge can call them). I find it a very smart service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.