Wiki Posts
Search

Victoria Falls via Rovos

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Victoria Falls via Rovos

Looking at a trip to Victoria Falls and then the Rovos train to Pretoria in Sept. (VFA-PRY). Will be flying in and out of JNB. Not looking to do a long trip and don't really want to go off-road, preferring walks to rides. I've seen quite a few comments suggestions of things to do an places to stay but many of them were quite dated. Curious about everyone's thoughts on the following:
  1. Thoughts on activities in VFA and places to stay. Won't spend the $1,000s they want for the Victoria Falls lodge but how about the Elephant Hills Resort or Ilala Lodge?
  2. Probably only stay in VFA area for a couple of days before we catch the train. is t hat enough?
  3. Thought that I saw mention of a forest nearby the falls with walking trails...does it have a name?
  4. Should we stay in Pretoria or get closer to JNB for a relaxing night & meal before the flight out.
Thanks for any input.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Rafting the Zambezi is my favorite thing to do in Victoria Falls or Livingstone. It’s the best one-day whitewater rafting trip in the world. If you’re up for it.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Sounds great, and 40 years ago I would have been all in but, I'm afraid my wife and I are a bit past whitewater rafting and probably more at the lazy river inner tube point.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:00 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Rebob
Looking at a trip to Victoria Falls and then the Rovos train to Pretoria in Sept. (VFA-PRY). Will be flying in and out of JNB. Not looking to do a long trip and don't really want to go off-road, preferring walks to rides. I've seen quite a few comments suggestions of things to do an places to stay but many of them were quite dated. Curious about everyone's thoughts on the following:
  1. Thoughts on activities in VFA and places to stay. Won't spend the $1,000s they want for the Victoria Falls lodge but how about the Elephant Hills Resort or Ilala Lodge?
  2. Probably only stay in VFA area for a couple of days before we catch the train. is t hat enough?
  3. Thought that I saw mention of a forest nearby the falls with walking trails...does it have a name?
  4. Should we stay in Pretoria or get closer to JNB for a relaxing night & meal before the flight out.
Thanks for any input.
1. All depends on your preferences, i.e. you probably don't want to like bungee jumping, for example?

Elephant Hills is not over the top, decent price/quality, but due to its location you are dependent on taxi/minibuses for everything. What you save, though, you can spend on a heli tour.

2. Half a day for the falls. A day for game drives. Half a day for other activities. but, if for some reason you have bad weather having some extra days is good, because when will you come back?

4. Again, it depends but mostly on your timings. If your flight departs in the afternoon that leave enough time for a released evening before and transfer to ORT, less so if you have a 9am flight.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Looks like we will end up w/ the following:
  1. Arrive JNB from DOH at 16:10 and spend the night at JNB, probably the Intercontinental
  2. Fly to VFA next day on South African Air (having a little trouble verifying the baggage allowances)
  3. Stay at Pamarah Lodge
  4. Would like to do a dinner cruise if someone has one to recommend
  5. Rovos back to Pretoria
  6. Spend a couple of days in Joburg before heading home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.