Wiki Posts
Search

ET and EK nearly collide over Somali air space - AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus
ET and EK nearly collide over Somali air space - AGAIN

Sorry, not sure if this has been brought up before. And not sure if this was the right forum to do it.

According to Addis Standard (Ethiopian Newspaper) an EK and ET flight nearly collided mid-air in Somali airspace due to an error from flight control. Later, EK dismissed this as untrue.
Thing is, the same apparently happened in February with a QR and ET plane.

Any thoughts on this? Should those of us frequently traveling in Somali air space be worried?

From Addis Standards FB-page.

Link to EK's response in Gulfnews:
https://gulfnews.com/business/aviati....1711561068440
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:49 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
If they "nearly avoided colliding" wouldn't it have been front page news worldwide?

On a more serious note, there may be a lot of politics involved in these reports. I would expect competent authorities to intervene if they judge the situation to be dangerous.
Goaguy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:22 pm

For various reasons, I have become BBC News' expert on this issue in recent weeks. I was on BBC TV News yesterday and BBC Focus on Africa radio/podcast today to discuss the stories.

Regarding this specific instance, I have had access to raw ADS-B data and have determined that the two flights had 82 seconds of separation (ie. approx 8-10nm) at waypoint DAROT (which is where their airways intersected), so would have been comfortably outside the ICAO limits of 5nm separation in Class A airspace even if they had remained at the same level. There was no near collision or any type of safety issue, other than unauthorised transmissions on 132.5MHz frequency by whoever instructed ETH690 to change levels.

Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by B747-437B

Regarding this specific instance, I have had access to raw ADS-B data and have determined that the two flights had 82 seconds of separation (ie. approx 8-10nm) at waypoint DAROT (which is where their airways intersected), so would have been comfortably outside the ICAO limits of 5nm separation in Class A airspace even if they had remained at the same level. There was no near collision or any type of safety issue, other than unauthorised transmissions on 132.5MHz frequency by whoever instructed ETH690 to change levels.
Thank you very much for your valuable insights and videos! It seems there are no questions to African aviation to which you do not have a proper answer Really appreciate it.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 7:50 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
AvHerald on this non-event: https://avherald.com/h?article=516b73f2&opt=0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.