Wiki Posts
Search

Addo vs Kruger for Safari in March

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Addo vs Kruger for Safari in March

We are heading to South Africa in about 3 weeks. We were initially planning to drive the garden route and spend time in Cape Town but are considering adding on a few days for Safari. We have time to go to Kruger but the weather seems to be oppressively hot right now 80-105F. The weather in Port Elizabeth / Addo seems to be a more manageable 60-85F. I have been on Safari in Tanzania but it has been 15 years or more. Is the experience in Kruger better enough to warrant going despite the temperature? I have also heard that it can be rainy, and the vegetation can make it harder to see game at this time.

Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We were in Kruger a couple of weeks ago. The vegetation is especially dense this year (have been on multiple trips at this time of year, 6 years out of the last 8).

The weather, well yes it can rain and it can be very hot and there are also warm and some cool days. Looking at the next two weeks it’s late 20’s to early 30’s but pleasantly cool in the evenings. Defo not 40 which I think is 105F.

Kruger can be epic - big 5 in 6 hours or 3 different leopards in a day all while self driving a Toyota Corolla.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Is the experience in Kruger better enough to warrant going despite the temperature?​​​​​​
Yes. Unless you are really sensitive to temperature then yes Kruger NP will give you much more wildlife, more variety and a better chance to see predators, and with it being such a big area you see far less infrastructure. For the temperatures just book accommodation with air-con and use the swimming pools. Having said that, I would consider the added cost (flights, accom, conservation fees) in the round and for me I would want at least 3 nights (and you'll have to look for availability being a bit last minute.)

Addo ENP is great for elephants and you do see a variety of wildlife there. The similar issue of long grass and dense bush occurs in Addo too but if you don't want the cost of domestic flights and lost time, when in the area, it is definitely worth doing.
jsnydcsa likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks so much!
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by konagirl2
Yes. Unless you are really sensitive to temperature then yes Kruger NP will give you much more wildlife, more variety and a better chance to see predators, and with it being such a big area you see far less infrastructure. For the temperatures just book accommodation with air-con and use the swimming pools. Having said that, I would consider the added cost (flights, accom, conservation fees) in the round and for me I would want at least 3 nights (and you'll have to look for availability being a bit last minute.)

Addo ENP is great for elephants and you do see a variety of wildlife there. The similar issue of long grass and dense bush occurs in Addo too but if you don't want the cost of domestic flights and lost time, when in the area, it is definitely worth doing.
+1

If you can move things around and add time to your trip and can find availability, I'd go Kruger. I've never been a big fan of Addo. I'd rate it a "meh" (from 15+ years ago) v. my experiences in Kruger and I haven't heard anyone rave about Addo since then. Nobody's had a "bad" time at Addo. Just not raving about it. These are PH's, owners of camps, frequent Kruger visitors, etc. so maybe a little jaded. Kruger can be so great as described above.
sadiqhassan and dodgeflyer like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:31 pm
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
Please forgive a thread hijack….

We’re also looking at a safari trip in mid-March. In SA for nearly three weeks, of which this will be three or four nights, so we’re very flexible.

Thinking Kgalagadi might be the best option, given the time of year - but should we be considering other places?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
The garden route is an amazing drive, and Addo is awesome, its compact, so you will see enough elephants up close to last you a lifetime.

But Kruger it is not. You can't compare, Kruger is vast with a larger variety of wildlife
Old Feb 21, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by 27R
Please forgive a thread hijack….

We’re also looking at a safari trip in mid-March. In SA for nearly three weeks, of which this will be three or four nights, so we’re very flexible.

Thinking Kgalagadi might be the best option, given the time of year - but should we be considering other places?
Self driving? Have you done safaris / wildlife holidays self driving before? Kgalagadi TP is a heck of a long way to go for 3-4 nights, usually people spend 1-2 weeks there. And presume you mean March 2025 as this year will be booked out. KTP you can be lucky and see lots of predators but equally it's very dependent on the preceding weather and I know people who've seen nothing predator-wise for 2 weeks. You have to like remoteness, wildness and small things.

For first time, short 'safari' you can't really beat Kruger NP for very easy logistics and big density and diversity of wildlife, big and small.

We also really liked Addo ENP, and Mountain Zebra NP, but we like sitting watching all kinds of wildlife including antelope or birds, so perhaps easier to please than people looking for 'the big 5 in 2 days'.
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 10:02 am

Seriously I would do both! Maybe only a few days in Kruger at the end of your trip! Do a self drive during the day and avail yourself to the camps night drives . You will go back. I have only been in S Africa in their winter as we loath heat. We love Cape Town and the Garden route and Addo, but Kruger is in a whole different class.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by konagirl2
Self driving? Have you done safaris / wildlife holidays self driving before?
For first time, short 'safari' you can't really beat Kruger NP for very easy logistics and big density and diversity of wildlife, big and small.
Excellent questions! +1. If the answer(s) is/are no, then perhaps an Addo or more "guided" option is better. When I and the rest of my friends/family first started going, we were all about the guided/private places. As we got more experienced, we felt more and more comfortable doing it on our own. Now, we almost only do it on our own. Maybe a trip or two with a private guide in KNP (rather than the SANParks drives) as the former sometimes keep better track among themselves of what's going on and can get you somewhere more quickly if something "interesting" is going on.
Kruger +1
Old Feb 22, 2024, 8:22 am
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
Thanks for the advice - very appreciated!

There’s a little window of accommodation available in Kgalagadi for the time we were looking at. The driving there and back isn’t a problem - we both enjoy road trips, and we’re thinking of a circular route with Kgalagadi at the north western edge. The potential lack of sightings is something we hadn’t considered - so we may head for Kruger instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.