Kenya visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kenya visa

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by gspurr
Thanks guys for the advice. Yes, I meant ETA. HighlanderICT, I did see your post about not needing a visa if one is not leaving the airport. My concern is that this might perhaps only mean that one is fine if one is just transiting through on the same itinerary and does not need to clear immigration or collect bags, as I will have to as my departure from NBO is on a separate itinerary. Also, even if it does mean that one doesn't need a visa if one is staying within the airport I'm worried that the airline desk agent at check-in still might expect me to have a visa. I'd rather spend the money on the ETA than worry about all of this.
I understand the concern and at US$32.50 (per person) then it is a small price to pay for your own piece of mind if you are worried about it.

I am not sure how it will work with different itineraries/airlines as the two times we have been in JKIA we were in transit with a single airline and never left the airport. I guess the crucial question will be whether you have to go through immigration (and officially enter the country) to collect and re-check your luggage or not? Perhaps someone who knows NBO airport better can advise. I can't speak to your scenario as each time we have been there we were straight through with KQ and our baggage was checked to final destination so all we had to do was go through arrivals and the connections area for a security check. We did not have to worry about luggage or immigration.

I do half expect someone at the airport in New York to ask if we have an eVisa or ETA for arrival and I plan to show them the printout or live copy of the government webpage if that is an issue. In all honesty, I am more concerned about our flight from YYZ to JFK with AC a couple of days earlier! AC performance lately is not good.

Also - don't forget to get your Seychelles ETA - this seems like it needs more info and can only be done 30 days prior to arrival. [https://seychelles.govtas.com/en]. We have not applied for ours as we have not hit the 30-day mark so can't speak to that experience (yet). My only worry here is the Yellow Fever vaccine. Due to a vaccine shortage in Canada, we got a half-dose last time as at that time it was required to enter Seychelles if you even set foot in a YF affected country (such as Kenya). A half-dose does not cover you for life like a full dose does. The Seychelles site now notes that it is not required if you are merely transiting through a YF area for 12 hours or less and the WHO recommendation for Nairobi is that it is not necessary. This is the one we might get anyway to be on the safe site both health-wise and in terms of getting entry.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone have a data point on if they will issue the eTA at NBO if the application is still pending? Flying in 12 hours and still waiting for the approval.

i have a refundable connecting flight into another country as a backup plan but clearly would like to avoid that.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyer1232
Anyone have a data point on if they will issue the eTA at NBO if the application is still pending? Flying in 12 hours and still waiting for the approval.

i have a refundable connecting flight into another country as a backup plan but clearly would like to avoid that.
No, airlines are subject to fines and even criminal prosecution for boarding pasengers without valid ETA so I would look into your backup plan.

How long has your processing taken so far?
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by gspurr
Thanks guys for the advice. Yes, I meant ETA. HighlanderICT, I did see your post about not needing a visa if one is not leaving the airport. My concern is that this might perhaps only mean that one is fine if one is just transiting through on the same itinerary and does not need to clear immigration or collect bags, as I will have to as my departure from NBO is on a separate itinerary. Also, even if it does mean that one doesn't need a visa if one is staying within the airport I'm worried that the airline desk agent at check-in still might expect me to have a visa. I'd rather spend the money on the ETA than worry about all of this.
Just for reference. We just got back and had no issue entering the connections area of the airport on our outbound leg. No visa was asked for at connections and we had no issues (other than the long line because only one security line/scanner was in operation for multiple flights arriving at the same time!) We did not have to collect luggage on the outbound journey as it was checked through to our final destination so you may be different. On our return leg - where we had booked a day safari and did require an ETA - we also had no issues with the paper copy we had printed, and our luggage was again checked through to our final destination so also no issue of having to collect and/or store it. We just had our hand luggage with us for the day in Nairobi.
B747-437B and gspurr like this.

Last edited by HighlanderICT; Apr 4, 2024 at 3:37 pm Reason: fixing typos
Old Apr 20, 2024, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by flyer1232

What ended up happening? Did you manage to get it before your flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.