Confirmed Mango or buy BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold

I hope everyone is healthy. So I live in the US and I will be treating myself to a milestone bday present trip from the US to Cape Town in Mid October. I'm flying to/from the US to JNB but am only using JNB as a transit point at the beginning and end of my trip. Cape Town is where I'll be staying. So I know none of us has a crystal ball and LOTS can change in travel, in the pandemic, and in world geopolitical stuff by mid-October. Let's assume though that my trip will go as scheduled, I need some advice about the leg of the trip r/t from JNB to CPT (I have my international tickets already so it's not possible to fly any other route other than JNB-CPT.) So right now I'm confirmed on Mango for the roundtrip but I know that Mango is not flying right now. I'm wondering if I should just assume that Mango won't be flying by mid-October so should I then just buy another r/t on BA since they still seem to have daily service between JNB-CPT? I'd welcome any helpful thoughts?? Thank you in advance and stay safe and healthy and safe travel to everyone. (I also know about Airlink and I'd consider taking them but since they are a subsidiary of SAA, and SAA is not flying now either, I'm a bit worried about booking Airlink.)
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
I hope everyone is healthy. So I live in the US and I will be treating myself to a milestone bday present trip from the US to Cape Town in Mid October. I'm flying to/from the US to JNB but am only using JNB as a transit point at the beginning and end of my trip. Cape Town is where I'll be staying. So I know none of us has a crystal ball and LOTS can change in travel, in the pandemic, and in world geopolitical stuff by mid-October. Let's assume though that my trip will go as scheduled, I need some advice about the leg of the trip r/t from JNB to CPT (I have my international tickets already so it's not possible to fly any other route other than JNB-CPT.) So right now I'm confirmed on Mango for the roundtrip but I know that Mango is not flying right now. I'm wondering if I should just assume that Mango won't be flying by mid-October so should I then just buy another r/t on BA since they still seem to have daily service between JNB-CPT? I'd welcome any helpful thoughts?? Thank you in advance and stay safe and healthy and safe travel to everyone. (I also know about Airlink and I'd consider taking them but since they are a subsidiary of SAA, and SAA is not flying now either, I'm a bit worried about booking Airlink.)
For what it's worth, I just flew Airlink from VFA to CPT without issue. They actually made it a point to mention the airline is now operating independently from SAA.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Basically I think you can wait and there will be tickets on flights on either BA or Airlink or one of the other carriers right up to the day, but that fares will creep up. if you are happy to write-off your Mango money and just book different flights then equally, why not? Fares generally only go up when the lowest fare buckets sell out. As pointed out by FlyingFrZ, Airlink has never been a subsidiary of SAA but they did code share and their financial arrangement meant some tickets booked through SAA still haven't been refunded. But Airlink have cut all links to SAA and are a very reliable airline, as are BA (Comair), as full service airlines on that route and I would happily book with either.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:46 am

BA. Why worry (so to speak) or fret?
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: *A
Remember BA will refund to a travel voucher if that is important. But to be honest, there is close to zero chances that reasonable fares will sell out between now and October which is still low season.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
If you have access to Avios points, this is a good route to use it on
acucobol likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.