Wiki Posts
Search

Flexibility on Kenyan and Ethiopian e-visa dates

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Flexibility on Kenyan and Ethiopian e-visa dates

I am a US citizen traveling to Ethiopia, then Kenya, and back to Ethiopia. I’ve paid for e-visas for all three entries, with the two Ethiopian ones being approved (Kenya is still pending). New circumstances have arisen that may mean the Kenya trip gets moved forward a day, which would cause both my entry into Kenya and reentry into Ethiopia to be a day earlier than stated on my visa applications.

Does anyone have experience with these last minute date changes? Are the two countries normally flexible with this at the airport and willing to consider the previous visas valid, or should I prepare to pay for new visas on arrival? Is it even worth approaching the e-visa line with misdated visas in these circumstances?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by mcrw00
I am a US citizen traveling to Ethiopia, then Kenya, and back to Ethiopia. I’ve paid for e-visas for all three entries, with the two Ethiopian ones being approved (Kenya is still pending). New circumstances have arisen that may mean the Kenya trip gets moved forward a day, which would cause both my entry into Kenya and reentry into Ethiopia to be a day earlier than stated on my visa applications.

Does anyone have experience with these last-minute date changes? Are the two countries normally flexible with this at the airport and willing to consider the previous visas valid, or should I prepare to pay for new visas on arrival? Is it even worth approaching the e-visa line with misdated visas in these circumstances?
I don't have first-hand experience with regards to this situation (only did it the other way around, arriving later than stated on e-visa, which never was an issue). I think you should be fine, as what e-visa really is, is "pre-approval". But of course, not respecting the "rules" can always be a pain in those countries. I'd try it - notwithstanding the fact that you may very well be approved one day earlier, both countries offer visa on arrival for US citizen, so the "worst" that could happen is that you end up paying your visa again (do have cash ready, either USD, GBP or EUR, as you cannot pay with local currencies)
mcrw00 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:48 pm

The e-Visa has to be valid on the date of entry or else you will need to get a new one.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:20 am

I would also try it on basis that in worst case you can get VoA.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by simons1
I would also try it on basis that in worst case you can get VoA.
Not all nationalities eligible for e-Visa are eligible for VoA. This is true in both Kenya/Ethiopia, although the lists vary between the two.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Not all nationalities eligible for e-Visa are eligible for VoA. This is true in both Kenya/Ethiopia, although the lists vary between the two.
US Citizens are entitled to VoA.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
US Citizens are entitled to VoA.
Depends on the category of visa being applied for, but for most common categories (Tourist + Transit) this is true in both countries.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Traveling to Kenya in July. I see online cost of e-visa is US$70. What is the cost of a visa on arrival? Just don't want to hassle with e-visa and arrival dates if not necessary. (US citizen travelling with one transit stop)
Old Jun 15, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by rollthere
Traveling to Kenya in July. I see online cost of e-visa is US$70. What is the cost of a visa on arrival? Just don't want to hassle with e-visa and arrival dates if not necessary. (US citizen travelling with one transit stop)

There is no VOA anymore in Kenya since January the 1st. eVisa is now mandatory. If you’re not eligible, you need to apply for a visa at your local Kenya. Embassy.

That’s too bad as voa was really convenient!
rollthere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.