Escalated Entry Requirements For Tanzania

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Escalated Entry Requirements For Tanzania

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2021, 5:44 am
HHG

I arrived to Dar es Salaam in late August. I will share my experiences but the forum does not allow me to share URL links as I do not have much posts. I can ony post them after 5 posts so I send this post to make it my 5th
Old Sep 7, 2021, 5:45 am
HHG

Tanzania entry and exit procedures

ENTRY -PCR test, Rapid Test, UHC code,
I arrived Dar es Salaam in late August. I got my PCR test in my departing country. Then, I got my mandatory UHC code and paid for the "on-arrival" rapid Corona test, which was $10 (see below for more info but the website is (https://afyamsafiri.moh.go.tz/ ). This should be completed within 24 hours of departure. When I arrived to Dar es Salaam, it took less than 30 minutes to get the result of the rapid test in the airport. The on-arrival visa/immigration process went smooth as usual (more like 15-25 minutes). I copy/paste the relevant information from the US Embassy website below as it is relevant to most passengers from US or not -except India who are required to be quarantined to my best knowledge--

EXIT-PCR test

In my two previous "exit" experiences since May, the result of the PCR test when departing from Tanzania is ready in less than 30 hours (more like 24 hours). I got tested in Dar es Salaam. It might take slightly longer for other cities. The cost is $100 in government hospitals but I got it in a private clinic, IST for $170. It does not matter where you are tested. It is not a difficult process but make sure to read the procedures as you have to register to a government website for the booking and to obtain the result of the test online. The address of the website is
https://pimacovid.moh.go.tz/#/booking.

Entry and Exit Requirements (from the US embassy website)
  • Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
    •  
      • Travelers are required to complete an online Health Surveillance Form (https://afyamsafiri.moh.go.tz/) within 24 hours prior to arrival. Travelers will then receive a Unique Health Code (UHC), which they will present to health officials upon arrival.
  • Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes
    • All travelers are required to present a negative COVID-19 test certificate upon arrival. The test must be a Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test, with the sample collected within 72 hours before arrival in Tanzania.
    • The Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children “Travel Advisory No. 7 of 4th May, 2021” has details on these requirements: https://www.moh.go.tz/en/announcements.
  • Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
    • All travelers entering Tanzania will be subject to enhanced screening for COVID-19, including through a rapid test. The rapid test cost is $10 per traveler.
    • Travelers who test positive on their rapid test will be required to quarantine at their own expense. Please see “Quarantine Information” below for details.
  • Contact the local immigration office for visa extensions.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by HHG; Sep 7, 2021 at 6:01 am
Old Sep 7, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Thank you HHG!
I plan to access this website during my 8 hour layover in DOH before my flight to JRO. Assuming I enter the information correctly on this form, how long will it take for me to get the code to show at immigration? I arrive into DOH around 5-5:30 pm so will that be a problem since it will be after usual business hours? I arrive into JRO before 8am the next day.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 1:23 pm
HHG

UHC code is immediately available to you after you fill the online form. However, your airline in your departing city will probably ask for the UHC code so you might have to fill it before your layover.

When I was filling the form, given the answer choices, I got the impression that I can fill and receive the UHC code 36 hours before my flight (though they say fill it 24 hours before). If you want, you can try that.

Cheers from Dar es Salaam, the city where you do not need masks Well, I have my two doses

Last edited by HHG; Sep 11, 2021 at 1:44 pm
Old Sep 12, 2021, 11:26 am

Thank you HHG!
I will try that the day I depart from BNA. I do have about a 36 hour transit time but checking in earlier extends that time. Not checking bags so if AA lets me on board I can check from my next airport which is DFW. Worst case is that I have to go landslide and check in at the QR desk in DFW.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:40 am
HHG

UHC code

I have to correct myself. They asked for my UHC code in the last leg of my flight to Dar after my layover. So it should be okay to fill it during the layover.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 3:49 pm

Okay thanks for clarification.
The site I understand to be used is:
https://afyamsafiri.moh.go.tz/
Is that correct?

I am still unclear as to whether or not I can or must prepay for the arrival rapid test? Can you provide guidance on that?
You have been quite helpful so far and many thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2021, 5:37 am
HHG

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Okay thanks for clarification.
The site I understand to be used is:
https://afyamsafiri.moh.go.tz/
Is that correct?

I am still unclear as to whether or not I can or must prepay for the arrival rapid test? Can you provide guidance on that?
You have been quite helpful so far and many thanks!
Yes, it is the site. You pre-pay your arrival rapid test when you fill the form on that site with a credit card. However, you do not need to prepay but I would recommend pre-paying as you do not have to wait in another line for the payment when you arrive Dar.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 5:25 pm

Thank you HHG!
You have been a massive help to me as well as others I suspect. I have not travelled internationally for over 2 years and the dust is thick on my passport!
Old Sep 21, 2021, 3:03 pm

New? updates for entry requirements into TZ.
Got an email from QR today since my trip is in less than 10 days.I reviewed the updated entry requirements which now state that a PCR test must be collected within 96 hours of first embarkation departure instead of the challenging collection of 72 hours before arrival!
Has anyone else seen this "new" update, is it correct(after all they put incorrect info about quarantining passengers a few weeks ago) or should we all wait to see if it gets retracted.
This does not impact me but it could either be beneficial for my friends or be a disaster if they get their test too early and are denied entry.
Can any one advise and thanks in advance!
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
New? updates for entry requirements into TZ.
Got an email from QR today since my trip is in less than 10 days.I reviewed the updated entry requirements which now state that a PCR test must be collected within 96 hours of first embarkation departure instead of the challenging collection of 72 hours before arrival!
Has anyone else seen this "new" update, is it correct(after all they put incorrect info about quarantining passengers a few weeks ago) or should we all wait to see if it gets retracted.
This does not impact me but it could either be beneficial for my friends or be a disaster if they get their test too early and are denied entry.
Can any one advise and thanks in advance!
It's been widely discussed on the Tripadvisor Tanzania forum, stating the updates are on the official website now. I haven't confirmed myself yet but the changes were supposedly effective 9/19/21. It's too bad arrival testing is still required, but pre-departure testing 96 hours prior to departure, vice 72 hours from arrival, is a game changer for sure on the front end.

Here's a link to the Travel forum discussion: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...-Tanzania.html
Old Sep 27, 2021, 3:37 pm

My travel friends had no issues checking bags from Nashville all the way to JRO today. Their flight from MIA departs around 9pm EDT so it is too early to know if they have to endure secondary screening regarding their visas, PCR tests or not but they all have boarding passes.
I am glad that when I arrive in DOH I can use the Al Mourn business office to get and print out my UHC code for onward travel to JRO. Win for sure.
I depart on 9/29 and am ,getting a same day RT PCR test on 9/28 which should be negative as I know that I have IgM antibodies and got the Novavax vaccine in late May.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:52 pm

Followup after our return from Zanzibar:
All went well with scheduling and paying for our Covid test. Our lodge was excellent with assisting us to pay in advance and proactively printed out our payment receipt and also our results. Cost for US citizens was $80, and Visa was accepted.
Apparently our testing site in Zanzibar and I assume most other sites there will process the test in Zanzibar rather than flying it to DAR. I took my test around 9am on 10/10, got my test results in a bit under 48 hours and the hotel gave us the printout. Others in our group had departures at 4pm and 5pm, I left at almost 11pm and we were all set and good to go that morning which was October 12.
Hope this is helpful to future travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.