Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Casablanca 5 1/2 hour layover can I do it all?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL

My understanding is there isn't too much to see here however would like to see the Mosque, Ain Diab promenade and the Habous district. I am landing coming from Marrakech in Casablanca at 10:35 am. My connection flight to JFK airport is at 3:50 pm.

Few questions.

1) I assume when I check my bag in Marrakesh it will fly straight through to NYC without me having to recheck it?
2) I know their is a train to the city but since I am tight on time are there taxis I can rent by the hour to take me between the sites? How much should it cost? If not how much is a one way taxi to the Mosque run?
3) What time is the absolute latest I should be back in the airport to clear security and customs?

Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
5.5 hrs is tight if using public transport.

Should be doable by car.

Let's do it backwards:
Arrive back 1h15 before the flight
Depart the city 2h15 before the flight (15 min margin)
1.5h to see sights
Arrive in the city (3h45 before the flight)
Leave the terminal (4h45 before the flight)
Arrive in CMN from RAK 5h30 before the flight
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
5.5 hrs is tight if using public transport.

Should be doable by car.

Let's do it backwards:
Arrive back 1h15 before the flight
Depart the city 2h15 before the flight (15 min margin)
1.5h to see sights
Arrive in the city (3h45 before the flight)
Leave the terminal (4h45 before the flight)
Arrive in CMN from RAK 5h30 before the flight
Thanks this is helpful. I’ll consider it a win if I can see the Mosque at a minimum.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
You didn't say which airlines, but if you are on AT for both flights then yes you can check your bags through to NYC.

I think I paid about 350 dirhams for a private limo from a nice hotel to the airport. You should be able to negotiate something cheaper, especially for round-trip.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
You didn't say which airlines, but if you are on AT for both flights then yes you can check your bags through to NYC.

I think I paid about 350 dirhams for a private limo from a nice hotel to the airport. You should be able to negotiate something cheaper, especially for round-trip.
Yes on AT for both flights. Thanks for letting me know what you paid for the limo always good to have something to compare to!
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:20 am

In case you’re not aware, I believe that non-Muslims cannot enter the Hassan II Mosque except by tour. Hopefully your timing works out so that you can join one - the interior is spectacular - but it’s still worth seeing from the outside even if it doesn’t. Safe travels.
remphish1 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strummerjones
In case you’re not aware, I believe that non-Muslims cannot enter the Hassan II Mosque except by tour. Hopefully your timing works out so that you can join one - the interior is spectacular - but it’s still worth seeing from the outside even if it doesn’t. Safe travels.
Yes I am aware of that. I actually moved up my flight so now I have a 9 hour layover Hired a car service too I am hopeful I will see a good amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.