South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: Nexus
I just took my PCR test ahead of my trip Wednesday.
My results came back from the lab in an email with the lab director and physician's names which I plan to print.
What has me confused is this line from the SA gov website:
This test must be conducted by a certified medical practitioner and should have the name and signature of the practitioner who conducted such test.
There's definitely no "signature" on the lab result PDF. Just a result with a QR code.
Should I be worried about the lack of signature?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by mendelk
I just took my PCR test ahead of my trip Wednesday.
My results came back from the lab in an email with the lab director and physician's names which I plan to print.
What has me confused is this line from the SA gov website:

There's definitely no "signature" on the lab result PDF. Just a result with a QR code.
Should I be worried about the lack of signature?
I've never had a person's signature. The fact that the results are from a certified lab are what counts. I think the lab name and QR code count as a signature.
mendelk likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:12 am

Just went back and looked at the PDFs of my and other's PCR test results from mid-December 2021. Printed name of doctor, printed name of lab and lab director. Some sort of ID numbers for both the doctor and the lab/director. No signature. No QR code.

UA reviewed paper copies on departure from US bound for SA. No issues.
As I've mentioned earlier, folks at CPT may have reviewed at CPT on arrival (IIRC). No issues.

Looking at the PDFs again, they were pretty bad quality copies. Clearly the printed results were faxed to somewhere (and maybe faxed again) then PDFed by the local place where we were tested and emailed by the local place. Not the greatest quality scan. But, like I said, UA accepted.
mendelk likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
Can someone advise us as to whether the PCR test is to be taken not more than 72 hours from the actual time of departure or 72 hours from the date of departure? Our departure time is on a Monday at 1530h. So, the earliest we can take the test is 1520h on the previous Friday afternoon. Or can we do it in the morning of Friday as the local laboratory is only open from 0900h - 1300h and it is not open in the weekends!
Old Feb 15, 2022, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, SAA Gold, Virgin Gold, Expedia Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BlueEgg
Can someone advise us as to whether the PCR test is to be taken not more than 72 hours from the actual time of departure or 72 hours from the date of departure?!
The time is from your scheduled departure on the itinerary that takes you into SA. If your prior connections are on a different itinerary, those schedules do not count.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by BlueEgg
Can someone advise us as to whether the PCR test is to be taken not more than 72 hours from the actual time of departure or 72 hours from the date of departure? Our departure time is on a Monday at 1530h. So, the earliest we can take the test is 1520h on the previous Friday afternoon. Or can we do it in the morning of Friday as the local laboratory is only open from 0900h - 1300h and it is not open in the weekends!
Almost from the beginning of this thread, this has been discussed multiple times.
SA requires a negative PCR test - with the sample taken within 72 hours prior to flight time - to enter SA.
The look back of 72 hours is from the time of departure (local time) of your first flight in your itinerary that brings you South Africa.
So, for example, a recent trip was
DCA-EWR-CPT - All flights on the same itinerary.
DCA-EWR Flight sked to depart at approximately 3:30 p.m. from DCA
EWR-CPT Flight sked to depart at approximately 8:00 p.m. from EWR

So, the look back was 72 hours from 3:30 p.m. - local time of my first flight on my itinerary to SA.
In my case the itinerary above was on a Friday, so my look back of 72 hours was all weekdays. No issues.

1530 (e.g. 3:30 p.m.) Monday departure. Look back is 72 hours to Friday at 15:30 hrs. So, you don't have "the morning" on Friday to take your sample, that'd be outside the window. Based on what you wrote above, you're going to need to find another place to take your sample. And, keep in mind, it's possible the lab may be closed on weekends. So, you better be sure the sample will be tested at the lab and results returned to you in time for your Monday flight given the weekend overlap.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:24 am

Many thanks for the above replies. We have brought forward the date of return just to get the PCR done.
Recently, it was mentioned in the South African news that the government WAS LOOKING INTO changing the PCR requirements. The 2 options are (1) that no tests will be required for the fully vaccinated and (2) a covid test will be still be required but instead of the PCR, an antigen test can be used. But sadly, no further announcements have been made so far.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
SA requires a negative PCR test - with the sample taken within 72 hours prior to flight time - to enter SA.
What is the source of these two requirements: PCR test and 72 hours prior to flight time? I'm just trying to understand where the requirements are stated, so I can read them myself, and also check to see if there have been changes.

Looking at what I believe is the official South African government requirements page, I see:

International and domestic flights

(1) International flights to and from the Republic, as well as domestic flights within the Republic, are permitted in terms of regulation 42, read with regulation 43(2)(a), of the Regulations.

(2) International passenger flights to and from the Republic are permitted, subject to the following conditions:
(a) A traveler must provide a valid certificate with a negative COVID-19 test outcome, recognised by the World Health Organisation, or equivalent local accredited authority, obtained not more than 72 hours before the date of travel.
I don't see PCR nor flight time referenced there. To my reading, molecular NAAT test, or even an antigen test, would be fine as long as the results are certified by an accredited provider. I also see "date" of travel rather than "time." Is there a different page that has the more stringent requirements?

If I search for "PCR" on the page, I do see an earlier version of the requirements that calls out PCR (but still "date" of travel):

Air travel [updated 29 January 2021]

International passenger flights to and from the Republic are permitted, subject to the following conditions:
(a) A traveller must provide a valid negative Polymerase Chain Reaction ( "PCR ") test certificate, obtained not more than 72 hours before the date of travel, from an accredited laboratory and, in line with World Health Organization requirements or equivalent local accreditation authority.
Although, even further down the page, I do see a presumably older set of requirements that does call for PCR and refers to "time" of travel:

Travelling to South Africa

Travellers intending to visit the country will be expected to produce a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test that is not older than 72 hours from the time of departure from the country of origin to South Africa. This test must be conducted by a certified medical practitioner and should have the name and signature of the practitioner who conducted such test.
But that is from even earlier in time. I would think the most recent update, at the top, is what is currently in force.

I'm just trying to understand what the rules are and where they're spelled out.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:18 pm

The query about the actual test has come up a few times and the last time I read about it in the South African press confirmed that it is indeed a PCR and not any other test that is acceptable. Regarding whether it is 72 hours from the departure time of the flight or 3 days before the day of departure, I cannot be sure. What I know from experience is that the person who collects the PCR forms casts at most a cursory glance at the piece of paper.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:21 am

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's
Without going back to my original sources and quoting in full here, there was a "change" to the rules in October/November 2021 when new regulations were Gazetted, which made no reference to PCR, merely that the test be by a WHO approved facility. The Department of Health swiftly responded, saying that the Department of Transport had no authority to alter the regulations and the new rules, as published in the State Gazette/Staats Koerant were invalid, it was the Ports and Harbours Division of the DoH that held the relevant power, not the DoT.

I never saw any retraction of the Gazetting, and my knowledge of SA Constitutional Law is insufficient to say if that was even necessary, but in practical terms, BA and Virgin (ex UK) won't allow you to board with a non PCR test.

Inspection of the test certification at OR Tambo in January was cursory at best, 1 official; at the back of the Immigration lines more than keeping pace with around 15 immigration officers at the passport control desks. But then if the airlines are checking (and I have seen persons denied boarding at Heathrow for not having a test certificate) all that is needed is a sample spot-check anyway.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:50 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by umgowah
Without going back to my original sources and quoting in full here, there was a "change" to the rules in October/November 2021 when new regulations were Gazetted, which made no reference to PCR, merely that the test be by a WHO approved facility. The Department of Health swiftly responded, saying that the Department of Transport had no authority to alter the regulations and the new rules, as published in the State Gazette/Staats Koerant were invalid, it was the Ports and Harbours Division of the DoH that held the relevant power, not the DoT.

I never saw any retraction of the Gazetting, and my knowledge of SA Constitutional Law is insufficient to say if that was even necessary, but in practical terms, BA and Virgin (ex UK) won't allow you to board with a non PCR test.

Inspection of the test certification at OR Tambo in January was cursory at best, 1 official; at the back of the Immigration lines more than keeping pace with around 15 immigration officers at the passport control desks. But then if the airlines are checking (and I have seen persons denied boarding at Heathrow for not having a test certificate) all that is needed is a sample spot-check anyway.
The highlighted text in the quote above is the crux of the matter. To my understanding, Timatic currently 'asks' for the PCR test <72 hours from scheduled departure of the first leg of the booking (PNR) that takes you into South Africa (note that where you are on two separate bookings (for instance a domestic flight to an international hub), the second one applies). It is totally true that the information on government websites is very unclear, often a cut and paste job above or below a previous entry (this is not unique to South Africa, by the way).
Most airlines will use Timatic to decide whether to let you board or not. Don't be fooled by reports of 'a cursory inspection' at arrival in JNB or CPT. By that time they can be reasonably confident that you have passed the airline's check. If your 'documents' are not in order, the airline is liable to take you back as has always been the case. They will recover the cost from you. The Covid - induced requirement(s) are just another 'document' needed, just like (for instance) a valid visa when this is required in your particular case.

I personally take a PCR test if I am even slightly unsure of the rules and their interpretation. Much better than being denied boarding, in my opinion. Travel is stressful enough, at the moment (although thankfully there is light on the horizon, maybe....)
HGOLI likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by thijsseh
The highlighted text in the quote above is the crux of the matter. To my understanding, Timatic currently 'asks' for the PCR test <72 hours from scheduled departure of the first leg of the booking (PNR) that takes you into South Africa (note that where you are on two separate bookings (for instance a domestic flight to an international hub), the second one applies). It is totally true that the information on government websites is very unclear, often a cut and paste job above or below a previous entry (this is not unique to South Africa, by the way).
Most airlines will use Timatic to decide whether to let you board or not. Don't be fooled by reports of 'a cursory inspection' at arrival in JNB or CPT. By that time they can be reasonably confident that you have passed the airline's check. If your 'documents' are not in order, the airline is liable to take you back as has always been the case. They will recover the cost from you. The Covid - induced requirement(s) are just another 'document' needed, just like (for instance) a valid visa when this is required in your particular case.

I personally take a PCR test if I am even slightly unsure of the rules and their interpretation. Much better than being denied boarding, in my opinion. Travel is stressful enough, at the moment (although thankfully there is light on the horizon, maybe....)
I agree. I've been reading this thread (and the threads for other destinations) to see what issues people have encountered during their travels. I have always assumed that I need to meet the strictest likely interpretation of the rules by the agent at check in (or by immigration). It makes for a much more relaxed and pleasant journey when this all ends up as formalities as you go through the process.

And I hope you are right about the light on the horizon!
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:05 pm

there was a "change" to the rules in October/November 2021 when new regulations were Gazetted, which made no reference to PCR, merely that the test be by a WHO approved facility. The Department of Health swiftly responded, saying that the Department of Transport had no authority to alter the regulations and the new rules, as published in the State Gazette/Staats Koerant were invalid, it was the Ports and Harbours Division of the DoH that held the relevant power, not the DoT.
Thank you, that would explain the discrepancy.

BA and Virgin (ex UK) won't allow you to board with a non PCR test.
Yes, indeed, what matters most is how the airlines interpret the rules.

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Yes, of course, better safe than sorry, etc., but on the other hand, when traveling through multiple connections and with an overnight en route, and each country having its own rules, it can be exceedingly stressful to obtain a PCR test that was taken late enough to be valid but early enough to have results in hand before the first flight. In contrast, a certified molecular/NAAT or especially antigen can be obtained same day, so if that were to be acceptable, it would greatly reduce the stress and pressure of this one aspect at least. As it's not, it's moot.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, SAA Gold, Virgin Gold, Expedia Gold, Accor Silver
Another data point. Just arrived in JNB on a Qatar flight. PCR validated by the airline in Europe before the SA boarding pass was issued. Was not checked again when boarding in Doha.

On arrival, locator forms and PCR tests checked (taken in the case of the former.) Temperature checked. Until there is some clear, official announcement, I would not attempt to board/enter without a PCR certificate.

I think that on one occasion during the last two years they did not collect the locator forms IME.

For outbound passengers, overnight PCR tests with certificates are available for R500 ($34) in the airport. I've heard that they're also available at this price in city centres.
konagirl2 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 2:20 pm

You can add United (on departure from USA to SA) as another airline that will not let you board without PCR. I was told PCR by the United agent in DCA and EWR. And, witnessed someone being turned away b/c they didn't have a Covid test. I wasn't close enough to know whether they had an antigen that was not a "good" Covid test or if they had no test at all. But, they were definitely NOT happy about it.

Many of the SA based travel blogs relay info from the SA travel industry that they'd like to see PCR+72 go away or be changed to make other tests or easier timing possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.