South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles
This is key. We're booked to go in November from the UK and I am fairly risk averse, just got back from Sicily and went to France just before quarantine was imposed.

There is not a cat in hells chance of SA getting added to the FCO travel corridor this side of Easter 2021 at the earliest (given the government's current trigger happy policy to much "safer" European destinations from a COVID perspective) and you're a braver soul than me if heading to SA without travel insurance.
Yep, agree. Just to clarify though I am not prepared to travel to SA without insurance (I travel alone and only visit Kruger and Eswatini, so not too close to large hospitals, etc).
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by HGOLI; Sep 9, 2020 at 9:56 am
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:39 am

Battleface may meet your insurance needs. Seem to be getting lots of press recently.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by T8191
ISTR reading somewhere on FT that a few policies exist which cover C-19.
I have one that I took out just before all this started earlier this year, and it does cover some aspects of Covid stuff. I don't know the situation if one purchased travel insurance since this all started.

That said, it won't cover those places that the FCO advises against travelling, etc. This link below will give you an idea of what is covered/not covered by travel insurance policies.

coronaviruscover
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:08 am

Are there no insurance companies that will cover you irrespective of FCO advise? Most likely at a higher cost?
Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
Are there no insurance companies that will cover you irrespective of FCO advise? Most likely at a higher cost?
I think 'Battleface' may do, but I haven't explored it. As you say, I imagine it will cost a fair bit, which is understandable if they are in the higher risk market. I would be more interested in the small print though, but it might be worth looking at...?

For me, the test of a good policy, is when something goes wrong and one needs to claim. I use a really good excess car insurance policy when going to Eswatini/SA, and have claimed when the car was bumped in Kruger. Within just a few days (3 I think) I had the money in my account, hence I am a regular customer and highly recommend them.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Well, SA is doing something right ... wef Friday, passengers arrivingin Jersey (JE) will now be on our Amber list! 👍

https://www.itv.com/news/channel/202...nce-for-jersey
Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:35 am

SA could move to level 1 'in a matter of days' says Mkhize

SA could move to level 1 'in a matter of days' says Mkhize

https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/...9-8e2bc9191ecf
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:45 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Well, SA is doing something right ... wef Friday, passengers arrivingin Jersey (JE) will now be on our Amber list! 👍

https://www.itv.com/news/channel/202...nce-for-jersey
Thank you for sharing that!

That list makes perfect sense when looking at the 'new infections in the latest 14 days per 100000 of the population' number. I have keeping a track of that since May or so, when I first learned that Denmark was using such a number (with a '20' cutoff point for allowing people into the country at all at that stage).

The daily update for EU + UK countries is here: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

For South Africa, it is at 45 this morning (my own calculation, using this as source - my calculation for the UK very closely matches that of the site referenced above, so I trust it to be correct). It peaked at 288 on 5 July, so a significant improvement (with of course my disclaimer for veracity of reporting / testing etc).

UK was at 12 on 16 July.

At the moment, the UK appears to have a quarantine requirement for virtually all non European countries, which in the light of the figures does not make sense. South Africa is now in a better position than Portugal.....
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh

That list makes perfect sense when looking at the 'new infections in the latest 14 days per 100000 of the population' number. I have keeping a track of that since May or so, when I first learned that Denmark was using such a number (with a '20' cutoff point for allowing people into the country at all at that stage).

The daily update for EU + UK countries is here: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

For South Africa, it is at 45 this morning (my own calculation, using this as source - my calculation for the UK very closely matches that of the site referenced above, so I trust it to be correct). It peaked at 288 on 5 July, so a significant improvement (with of course my disclaimer for veracity of reporting / testing etc).

UK was at 12 on 16 July.

At the moment, the UK appears to have a quarantine requirement for virtually all non European countries, which in the light of the figures does not make sense. South Africa is now in a better position than Portugal.....
There is more to it than just the numbers with the UK "safe list" though. Officially, China and a few other places are well under the threshold but there is little chance of them making the safe list anytime soon.

I can see the UK govt keeping a very conservative view with SA given their healthcare and overall governance.

We cancelled our November trip yesterday.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh

UK was at 12 on 16 July.

Sisa Ntshona, CEO of South African Tourism is calculating 22.7 per 100000.....
If his mathematical model is used potentially no quarantine on return.....

https://www.tourismupdate.co.za/arti...tourism-resume
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I need to send some emails to personal contacts (small private hoteliers in the W.C.) and get their perspectives.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is more to it than just the numbers with the UK "safe list" though. Officially, China and a few other places are well under the threshold but there is little chance of them making the safe list anytime soon.

I can see the UK govt keeping a very conservative view with SA given their healthcare and overall governance.

We cancelled our November trip yesterday.
Sad to hear you’ve cancelled out, but I can understand different perspectives . We are still slightly hopeful for early Dec, albeit with some health/insurance considerations to be resolved. If we end up with a spell of isolation on our return to JE, at least we will have travelled and enjoyed ZA for a couple of weeks, and helped our regular hotels to recover from an awful year.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 11:40 am

Sad to hear you’ve cancelled out, but I can understand different perspectives . We are still slightly hopeful for early Dec, albeit with some health/insurance considerations to be resolved. If we end up with a spell of isolation on our return to JE, at least we will have travelled and enjoyed ZA for a couple of weeks, and helped our regular hotels to recover from an awful year.
Yeah, just couldn't see a way it was happening on both a SA and UK govt front and given it was an Avios plus 241 voucher booking, figured I'd get the lot back and take advantage of early summer availability with the voucher while it's pretty good.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, just couldn't see a way it was happening on both a SA and UK govt front and given it was an Avios plus 241 voucher booking, figured I'd get the lot back and take advantage of early summer availability with the voucher while it's pretty good.
Likewise, 241 booking plus a bit of cash (<£1k for two in CW) so comfortable about the fallback scenario. We know our 3 regular hotels will be flexible too.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:30 pm

Zimbabwe is opening up to international tourism come October 1st. SA must also do this by mid-October, the latest. The anxiety is driving me nuts....I need to be with my partner.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.