South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As my previous TRs show, we get out of CT immediately on arrival and head for Hermanus, F’hoek and S’bosch. Not big city fans!!
Old Mar 22, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Capetown felt pretty normal, everyone masked indoors
Well, most people in Cape Town are "masked." Around 3/4 wear their mask below their nose, on their lower lip, or on their chin.
T8191 and tpsmith82 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anabolism
Well, most people in Cape Town are "masked." Around 3/4 wear their mask below their nose, on their lower lip, or on their chin.
Not just cape town. Stellenbosch and franschook as well. We've been visiting wineries in both towns and the drivers, staff, guests and everyone are obviously done with the government control. Most are either not wearing masks or wearing them in the least possible way as a chin strap. Thankfully. This country, as well as others are moving on.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
That's for the tourists. Go to Khayelitsha or Mitchell's Plain. You won't see any.
Attended a business meeting in the CBD a week ago. Nobody with a mask. Vaccination rates are below 40 percent in SA, and yet hospitalization continues to fall.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 23, 2022 at 1:09 am Reason: Anti-mask statement removed
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:33 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Enter and exit with vaccination no testing, outdoor masks dropped.

https://www.news24.com/news24/southa...world-20200312
T8191, signol, konagirl2 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by A4K; Mar 22, 2022 at 1:00 pm
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:34 pm

No more entry tests for vaccinated travellers from tomorrow!
Masks still required in shops etc.
LETTERBOY and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good news. Though I wonder what bureaucratic contortions the SA Government will try and dream up for proving vaccination status 😉
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:23 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Jaydm101
No more entry tests for vaccinated travellers from tomorrow!
Masks still required in shops etc.
Good news, would have been welcome a few days earlier. Just spent Ł258 for PCR tests for mrs t and myself, leaving the UK today and arriving tomorrow, 24 March…
Old Mar 23, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
South Africa drops PCR test

South Africa has just announced that a PCR test is no longer required for fully vaccinated travellers. Botswana has also dropped its requirements making travel to Southern Africa a lot simpler.
84fiero and Brandinho1 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:26 pm
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
Can confirm that crossing the border from Namibia to Botswana on Feb. 14 I only had to show my vaccination card showing that I had been fully vaccinated with two Pfizer doses plus a booster dose. Since then, Botswana announced that you no longer have to show evidence of a booster dose (due to conflicting regulations among various nations about when/whether people are eligible for a booster).
dwugson likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:38 am

Programs: IHG Gold
We're heading out next week... https://www.gov.za/covid-19/about/co...-alert-level-1
(about 3/4 of the way down):
(c) All international travellers arriving at the Ports of Entry listed in paragraph (a) who are-
(i) fully vaccinated must upon arrival at the Port of Entry, produce a valid vaccination certificate; and
(ii) unvaccinated must upon arrival at the Port of Entry, provide a valid certificate of a negative COVID-19 test, recognised by the World Health Organisation, which was obtained not more than 72 hours before the date of travel.

Also no mention of children – we’re planning on a test for our 10 year old (1 dose vaccine but no way to prove it!)
signol
Old Mar 24, 2022, 10:14 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by signol
We're heading out next week... https://www.gov.za/covid-19/about/co...-alert-level-1
(about 3/4 of the way down):
(c) All international travellers arriving at the Ports of Entry listed in paragraph (a) who are-
(i) fully vaccinated must upon arrival at the Port of Entry, produce a valid vaccination certificate; and
(ii) unvaccinated must upon arrival at the Port of Entry, provide a valid certificate of a negative COVID-19 test, recognised by the World Health Organisation, which was obtained not more than 72 hours before the date of travel.

Also no mention of children – we’re planning on a test for our 10 year old (1 dose vaccine but no way to prove it!)
signol
Looks like 5 is the cutoff...Source: IATA Timatic.

Passengers entering or transiting through South Africa must have:

- a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken at most 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point; or

- a COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing that they were fully vaccinated at least 14 days before arrival. Vaccines accepted are: AstraZeneca (SK Bioscience), AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Covishield, Covovax, Janssen, Moderna (Spikevax), Nuvaxovid (Novavax), Pfizer-BioNTech (Comirnaty), Sinopharm (BIBP) and Sinovac.

This does not apply to passengers younger than 5 years.

This does not apply to passengers with a COVID-19 recovery certificate and a positive COVID-19 test. They must send a request to [email protected] a letter of exemption.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:42 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

What about the unvaccinated?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 1:22 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by SSF556
What about the unvaccinated?
They still need the PCR test taken <72 hours before departure.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 4:57 am

His this new rule kicked in yet? Usually the UK FCDO is quick to update but thus far nothing has changed: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.