Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Use Points Cape Town to Maun, Botswana (MUB) - on South African?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,
I have most of my flights figured out, but struggling with this one. Any suggestions for finding availability and then booking using points on South African airlines (probably around 6/28/20)? I have Amex MR, Chase UR, AA, Delta, Alaska, and Virgin Atlantic points to use.

South African is the only nonstop option I see, but I'm open to others (looks like Air Botswana might be an option). Thanks!
--Kyle
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyamnitz
South African airlines (probably around 6/28/20)?
Will SAA be around on 6/28/20? That's the question.

Johan
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Will SAA be around on 6/28/20? That's the question.
Is it looking that bad for them? It looks like that flight would be just 10k points if I'm able to find availability (through Virgin Atlantic), but so far no luck on 6/28 or 6/29 when I called. :-(
--Kyle
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyamnitz
Is it looking that bad for them?
They've to all intents and purposed been technically bankrupt for years, but the government is likely to keep propping them up in one way or another for a while yet.

Johan
kyleay likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
If SAA was in the US, they'd be in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings right now. You can find some news clippings in other threads on the SAA forum, but an administrator has been appointed to oversee day-to-day operations. The latest "emergency funding" from the government was something like 2 billion Rand which is only in the neighbourhood of $200 million USD. How long do you think that amount will last?

Personally, I think SAA will be reincarnated in some form. But it's absolutely clear that SAA cannot continue unchanged. If you have options, I'd recommend exploring them and placing SAA towards the bottom of your list. It's really a shame; I've only ever had great flights with even better crew on my SAA flights. I shall miss that warm South African welcome on board.
kyleay likes this.

Last edited by RCyyz; Jan 6, 2020 at 9:30 pm
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RCyyz
Personally, I think SAA will be reincarnated in some form. But it's absolutely clear that SAA cannot continue unchanged. If you have options, I'd recommend exploring them and placing SAA towards the bottom of your list. It's really a shame; I've only ever had great flights with even better crew on my SAA flights. I shall miss that warm South African welcome on board.
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind and hope for the best. But that might be our only way to get to Maun (at least with points). We're trying to make it work with Victoria Falls instead, but that isn't ideal either. Cheers,
--Kyle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.