Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Which airline is more likely to go bankrupt?

Old Jan 9, 20, 9:46 am
Original Poster

African airlines always seem to be in financial trouble. My mother and I have a trip planned and need to fly from CPT to WDH. This route is served by Air Namibia and South African (operated by airlink). Price and schedule of both airlines work for us, we just don't want to fly BA and connect in JNB as that would take much longer.
My question is: Will one of the two airlines go bankrupt by the end of May and if yes, which one? We are still in the process of recovering money from the Thomas Cook bankruptcy and want to avoid going through that again. We also want a seamless trip.
Old Jan 9, 20, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DRSpax View Post
operated by airlink.
Airlink is an independent, privately owned, well run and profitable airline. Nothing to worry about.

Johan
B747-437B likes this.
Old Jan 10, 20, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

To me it seems like these tickets are only bookable through the SAA website. Wouldn't that lead to the same result of us not being able to fly that day? I mean South African still needs to pay airlink.
Old Jan 11, 20, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I don't think the South African or Namibia governments will allow either airline to go out of business. I wouldn't worry.
Old Jan 11, 20, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Starbux Gold, Nexus
I flew CPT-WDH on Airlink last month, booked on SAA website. Everything was pleasant and on time. I suggest that you book the nonstop flight to avoid any possible JNB baggage issues and be sure to carry on all valuables. I also debated on using Air Namibia but they seem to have more delays and cancellations.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: