Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Libya - visas / safety / airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:47 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Libya - visas / safety / airports

Okay, I know that I'm owing you a mini-TR about Juba, but honestly it was all so normal that I gave up halfway. I will try to post some pics and vids at some point though. Promise.

Anyway, next up is Tripoli. Does anyone have any recent experience, both of on-the-ground safety and also getting a visa (UK citizen, we've not been on very good terms for the last 30 years)

Also, I know that Tripoli airport has been out of action for a while, but seems like Mitiga is also in trouble. Anyone know the frequency of closures?

And if anyone can look at the below from the airport facebook page and tell me who flies to where (ideally Tunis/Algiers/Cairo) that would be great.

Thanks
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: QF, UA, EK, EY
I'll write down where the arrivals are from, you can google the airline by the first 2 letters of the flight number (I'm too lazy to look up the airlines):

Istanbul
Istanbul
Istanbul
Khartoum
Benghazi
Benghazi
Tunis
Alexandria
Tunis
Tunis
Tunis
Benghazi
Tunis
Tunis
Tunis
Tunis
Alexandria
Istanbul
Istanbul
Istanbul

Last edited by pagophilus; Jul 3, 2019 at 6:32 am Reason: Spelling correction
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: QF, UA, EK, EY
YL = Libyan Wings
UZ = Buraq Air
RI = Rahila Air
8U = Afriqiyah Airways
LN = Libyan Airlines
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:39 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Thanks Pagophilus - so transit via Istanbul or Tunis, with a variety of airlines all of which I’m going to guess are banned from EU airspace. Coooool....

anyone ne able to add on latest situation?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:02 pm

I don't have much of value to add. I have different citizenship (U.S.) and my travel is fairly long in duration, like several weeks or months (I'm guessing about your plans; sorry if I am wrong.) Of the 155 countries I have been to, Libya is the only one that has denied me a visa...three times, twice when Qaddafi was still in power, once since. This adds up to a lot of unused air tickets, fouled up itineraries, passport translation fees and, no-surprise, some bitterness. If I wanted to give you one piece of advice, I'd say "minimize committed expenses". On my most recent attempt for a visa, I bought a very expensive, refundable air ticket, with intentions to replace, if I could get the visa. Refundable reservations at the Corinthian, Tripoli; again, expensive, but if a commitment to spend large dollars might sway consular process...

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.