Wiki Posts
Search

10 day trip from Johannesburg in August

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:46 am
Original Poster

10 day trip from Johannesburg in August

Hi FT people,

I have a redemption flight into Joburg in August with my girlfriend. Can anyone make some recemendations where we should go? We are happy to fly out from there as we will hopefully be rested after an overnight club flight.

We are open to a safari type trip, or even a beach, but we've guessing it won't be too warm at that time of year. It's a bit of a treat before the first child comes along so happy to spend some money too!

Many thanks

Bankside
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:17 am

Thing we have done

We have gone once in 2017 and are leaving in 1 week to go on safari. We went on safari in the Klaserie reserve ar Senalala at a midrange lodge. This time we opted up at Mala Mala. If I were to go again and wanted mid range I might try the Timbavati reserve. If I went back and wanted to opt up I would like to try Tintswalo. There is someone on here from Africa Direct and someone on TA also from AD that seems to know more lodges than the few most people recommend. It usually does not cost any more to use an agent for a safari lodge and they might be able to help you narrow down choices more quickly. I liked Capetown much more so than Jo'berg. We hired a driver to take us to the Cape, winelands, boulders beach (penguins). I wouldn't take a boat trip to see whales at this time. We went early Aug snd the sea was very rough coming back in and truthfully, it might have been better to watch for them on land. I have a friend who went last year and drove the garden route from Port Elizabeth to Durban, but I prefer to not move every day.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Tricky time of year for weather ...

... but perhaps still worth the WInelands of the Western Cape? A couple of TRs in my signature may inspire, but they were of course in the SA summer.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
... but perhaps still worth the WInelands of the Western Cape? A couple of TRs in my signature may inspire, but they were of course in the SA summer.
Thanks both for your replies, they are much appreciated.

We would certinly head down to the Cape if it was summer but I think it's unlikey to be great in August, or at least somewhat risky if it rains all of the time. I think the safari, or at least some national parks and the like could be a winner. Maybe we will try find a bit of both and have a tour.

Any other ideas would be very welcome!

Thanks
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
This August, be aware that most safari places will be busy, it is peak season, so be prepared not to get your first (or second or third) choice. "before the first child comes along" suggests your girlfriend is pregnant (congratulations!). I am very risk adverse but I would seriously consider a safari destination that has virtually no malaria risk. The risk in August in Kruger or other eastern areas is very small, but the consequences don't bear thinking about. You could look at flying to Windhoek, hiring a car and visiting the wonders (desert, sand dunes, marine wildlife, flamingoes, coastline and safari) of Namibia? Etosha is very busy in August but you might find something that meets your needs and you can mix it up with other 'sights'. The coast around Walvis Bay will be around 20 C so pleasant.

Cape Town winter weather is not like the UK. It can rain or be windy and cool for a day at a time, but it will also have sunny periods, and when the winds are blowing from inland it can be dry and pleasantly warm (low 20s C). It is a great area to consider for whale watching (as per the advice above, if you do a boat trip look for a good weather window and go out early morning) and penguins, other wildlife including antelope, baboons and ostrich, winelands, picnics, and mountains and forests. August is prime time for whale watching, wildflowers and gardens (proteas) as well as the waterfalls. I admit it is not beach weather!

Or for a mixture of safari and beaches, the area north of Durban in KZN has a low malaria risk as far as St Lucia and Hluhluwe-Imfolozi game reserve. You could loop to see the Drakensburg, but I think 10 days could easily be filled with the wetlands, safari and then a few days at the beach north of Durban (temperatures in the low 20s C). There can be humpback whale watching at that time of year too. If 'some money' extends to £300-400 per night, then you can look at the private reserves that offer fully inclusive guided safaris in that area.

Enjoy wherever you decide to go, a fabulous part of the world!
Spindifferent likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Hi Konagirl,

Thanks so much for all of your thoughts. That's really useful!

Namibia had been on my list a while back, as well as Botswana. That's plenty to think about.

Have a great day

Bankside
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by konagirl2
when the winds are blowing from inland it can be dry and pleasantly warm (low 20s C).
If you get a good berg wind, temperatures can reach 35°C on the West Coast. The bad news is that a berg wind almost always heralds the arrival of a cold front within at most three days.

Johan
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

I wanted to thank all of you nice people who spent time helping. We are flying to Port Elizabeth and will spend the first 5 days in the Samara Game Reserve and then a road trip for the remainder around the Garden Route before heading back to PE.

If anyone has any recommendations what we should visit or places to stay or eat - We would be very gratefull!

Thanks again

Bankside
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
As you are flying to JNB I will only recommend places near JNB. I would second above poster's advice of KZN. Cozi Bay is particularly nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.