Search

Safety of climbing Mt. Nyiragongo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Safety of climbing Mt. Nyiragongo

Not the safety of the climb itself, but I have read the government is fighting heavily with rebels in the Goma area now, and there's shelling, etc...tough to find reliable up to date information on that region. Not planning to go like right this second, but perhaps over the next few months. Wondering if this is a particularly bad time for gov/rebel clashes and maybe give it a year or so to calm down. Anyone?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Not the safety of the climb itself, but I have read the government is fighting heavily with rebels in the Goma area now, and there's shelling, etc...tough to find reliable up to date information on that region. Not planning to go like right this second, but perhaps over the next few months. Wondering if this is a particularly bad time for gov/rebel clashes and maybe give it a year or so to calm down. Anyone?
Virunga is quite safe for tourists. Just listen to what the locals tell you. They do not want any tourists harmed and will steer you away from any potential issues. Hopefully you can speak French or bring someone bilingual with you.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by stimpy
Virunga is quite safe for tourists. Just listen to what the locals tell you. They do not want any tourists harmed and will steer you away from any potential issues. Hopefully you can speak French or bring someone bilingual with you.
I speak French. Ok, I will check with the park, thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:01 pm

We went about a year ago. We felt safe, but had an armed ranger with us at all times. There are definitely places in the world where I felt more danger.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
I would rely on the advice of the park. They know a lot and are very honest. Especially after the attack last year. If it wasn't safe, they wouldn't take the risk.

Goma is not overly dangerous, but also not a safe/comfortable place. Get in/Get out and have a great time.

Hope you have good weather at the summit, I didn't

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.