Search

CPT connection non-interline tickets.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
CPT connection non-interline tickets.

Hi all,

We're going to be flying out of CPT on KL which is a late evening departure. Will be booking a separate OW flight JNB-CPT to connect. there are loads of options for JNB-CPT.

How long should I allow to collect baggage, clear immigration and security? Thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:42 am

I'd say 2.5-3 hours, bag drop off closes 60 minutes before departure, and clearing security & immigration is quick that time of day.
AceReport likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
I'd say 2.5-3 hours, bag drop off closes 60 minutes before departure, and clearing security & immigration is quick that time of day.
Thank you.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are not connecting at CPT. If you are on separate tickers, you are transferring between entirely separate journeys. The question is not how long you need under ordinary circumstances, but your willingness to take the risk of being a no show for your onwards flight and having to possibly purchase a new ticket at walk up prices back to AMS.

Thus, if there is bad weather or a technical issue on your flight into CPT, you are truly stuck. Only you can determine your own risk tolerance.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Often1
You are not connecting at CPT. If you are on separate tickers, you are transferring between entirely separate journeys. The question is not how long you need under ordinary circumstances, but your willingness to take the risk of being a no show for your onwards flight and having to possibly purchase a new ticket at walk up prices back to AMS.

Thus, if there is bad weather or a technical issue on your flight into CPT, you are truly stuck. Only you can determine your own risk tolerance.
Actually, it's more than that, if OP misses his KLM flight he will also need to spend the night in CPT.
That being said, JNB-CPT (and v.v.) flights are very rarely cancelled or have major delays, I'd be comfortable with a 3hrs window in such cases, when I take the KL flight from CPT I usually arrive at the airport 80-90 min before if I have a bag to drop, and less than that if I don't.
AceReport likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1

Yes thank you for the pedantic breakdown. As indicated in the original post and the thread title that is exactly the case. The question in the post was in regards to how long someone would suggest. But by all means continue to 'contribute' to questions people ask.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by AceReport
Yes thank you for the pedantic breakdown. As indicated in the original post and the thread title that is exactly the case. The question in the post was in regards to how long someone would suggest. But by all means continue to 'contribute' to questions people ask.
Well, much as you disparage that input, I think it is very valid. There is a very real risk of delays. My Comair flight on Sunday (the last of the day) was delayed by 30 minutes. I have had BA flights cancelled on that route too - though they did call ahead and offer to move my flight. For some reason Mango seems to be going through a spate of delays recently and colleagues are avoiding them for that reason. Also if there are major thunderstorms around JNB (typically in high summer) it can throw out the schedules very badly - and the later flights bear the brunt of it as the delays cascade.

So although I agree with Ditto that 2.5 to 3 hours should be ample, the bottom line still is it depends on your risk appetite regarding events that are admittedly infrequent but could be extremely disruptive if one of them eventuates.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:01 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Well, much as you disparage that input, I think it is very valid. There is a very real risk of delays. My Comair flight on Sunday (the last of the day) was delayed by 30 minutes. I have had BA flights cancelled on that route too - though they did call ahead and offer to move my flight. For some reason Mango seems to be going through a spate of delays recently and colleagues are avoiding them for that reason. Also if there are major thunderstorms around JNB (typically in high summer) it can throw out the schedules very badly - and the later flights bear the brunt of it as the delays cascade.

So although I agree with Ditto that 2.5 to 3 hours should be ample, the bottom line still is it depends on your risk appetite regarding events that are admittedly infrequent but could be extremely disruptive if one of them eventuates.
And I'll agree with Cheetah_SA. 18 months ago I was booked on a 2pm BA flight JNB-CPT to 'connect' onto CPT-LHR on a separate ticket at 8pm, so a 4 hour window, with no checked bags. It was a Friday afternoon, and there was crap weather... my 2pm was cancelled, and both the 4pm and 5pm were full, so I was put on the 6pm, which would be too late for my 8pm departure. I tried with SAA, Mango, Kulula - no seats on any of them on a Friday afternoon. I went to the gate for both the 4pm and 5pm BA flights and tried to standby, but they both went out full. Rather than getting to CPT and getting stuck there, I paid $800 to change my CPT-LHR to JNB-LHR and spent 11 hours in a middle seat in the last row by the toilets....

It should be ample, but be aware that there is a real risk...

Of course, Ditto below is right as well. That's my horror story, but I have made many many domestic flights without issue, and I would still book that 'connection' that went wrong - but be aware that it *might* go wrong, and understand that there is no 'flat tire' rule with most European carriers...

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Apr 17, 2019 at 9:41 am Reason: to agree with Ditto that likely all will be well
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:34 am

Maybe to balance a bit the horror stories shared above, I'll add some experience from the last year (between me and Mrs. Ditto)
- A total of about 50 flights, mostly Mon/Tue morning CPT-JNB and Thu/Fri evening JNB-CPT
- About equal split between Mango and Kulula with the odd SAA/BA
- One flight delayed on arrival by about 30 minutes due to thunder storms in JHB
- One flight delayed by about 1HR due to cascading delays earlier in the day
- One flight almost diverted to GRJ due to winds at CPT, a bit of a rough landing but nonetheless on time
- All other flights landing within +-15 min of schedule time
- 0 Flights cancelled
- Some 20 additional flights CPT/JNB to other domestic airports also with no major issues

So yes, the risk is definitely there, but better to put things in proportion...
AceReport and ttapps like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA

The disparagement is there because the comment was not contributing to the discussion, while at the end of the day each of us must make our own decisions in regards to such things the habit of many long time/large post count members to be both pedantic and condescending rather than being helpful and engaging is why we see quite a few newer members stop posting or even coming to the forum after their first experience. In this thread experience with JNB and CPT is relevant such as your contribution and Ditto's.

As far as Mango goes do you feel better or worse about them than SA or Kulua?

Originally Posted by Ditto
Maybe to balance a bit the horror stories shared above, I'll add some experience from the last year (between me and Mrs. Ditto)
- A total of about 50 flights, mostly Mon/Tue morning CPT-JNB and Thu/Fri evening JNB-CPT
- About equal split between Mango and Kulula with the odd SAA/BA
- One flight delayed on arrival by about 30 minutes due to thunder storms in JHB
- One flight delayed by about 1HR due to cascading delays earlier in the day
- One flight almost diverted to GRJ due to winds at CPT, a bit of a rough landing but nonetheless on time
- All other flights landing within +-15 min of schedule time
- 0 Flights cancelled
- Some 20 additional flights CPT/JNB to other domestic airports also with no major issues

So yes, the risk is definitely there, but better to put things in proportion...
Thank you for the perspective. I think we're going to be fine but at the end of the day we'll likely book the earliest flight that we can make after our charter arrives in JNB as it just makes more sense to wait in CPT than JNB for this trip.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:57 pm

I think you are being way too hard on others. YOU are the one who used the word "connect" in your OP. Noone else can read your mind and know in what sense you meant that. We get MANY folks on FT who ask similar questions about separate tickets who clearly think (initially) that they ARE "connecting" (in the Airline sense of the word). They are - very appropriately - disabused of that notion. You know the difference and didn't mean it that way. Great. Others clearly do not always have that knowledge and it is a VERY important point to understand.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Since my observation on Mango punctuality was based on anecdote, it is difficult for me to say with certainty whether there is a genuine pattern of delays and, if there is, how long that pattern will persist.

One can get some idea of recent on time performance here. I can’t find the more complete stats that give average length of delay and longest delay. Didn’t it used to be given on flighstats.com?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.