Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

AVIS Car Rental Cape Town

Old Mar 27, 19, 10:37 am
Original Poster

The rental comes with Collision Damage (CDW), Personal Theft and Personal Accident (PAI) insurance and I am unable to uncheck it when booking online.

Will this be an issue if I want to use my credit card's insurance to cover the liability amounts? I know you have to decline the rental's insurances but these are mandatory and comes with it... any advice?
Old Mar 27, 19, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by laddielad View Post
The rental comes with Collision Damage (CDW), Personal Theft and Personal Accident (PAI) insurance and I am unable to uncheck it when booking online. Will this be an issue if I want to use my credit card's insurance to cover the liability amounts? I know you have to decline the rental's insurances but these are mandatory and comes with it... any advice?
No, there should be no issue with this. I have actually had to use my credit card insurance (Royal Bank of Canada) to make a claim with Avis South Africa and the mandatory CDW was not an issue.
Old Apr 3, 19, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

What extra insurance will Avis offer to sell when picking up at counter and how much would it typically cost per day?
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:20 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
I just checked my Avis rental agreement from December. Avis Cape Town (Downtown). Group C car but upgraded to Group D with voucher.

Super CDW and TP (excess reduced from ZAR 6,000 to zero) ZAR 148 + 15% VAT per day. Windscreen and tyre damage waiver ZAR 35 + VAT / day.
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by laddielad View Post
The rental comes with Collision Damage (CDW), Personal Theft and Personal Accident (PAI) insurance and I am unable to uncheck it when booking online.

Will this be an issue if I want to use my credit card's insurance to cover the liability amounts? I know you have to decline the rental's insurances but these are mandatory and comes with it... any advice?
Basic CDW and TPI/TP is mandatory. You can't uncheck it. Should be fine nevertheless in respect to your credit card. I suppose your credit card will cover any CDW / TP excess? Last time at the Avis counter in CT I was told that CDW excess was ZAR 16,000 (agent insisted when I questioned this) however on earlier occasions I have been quoted ZAR 5-6,000 (it may have been a scam to sell the add. insurance coverage)
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Basic CDW and TPI/TP is mandatory. You can't uncheck it. Should be fine nevertheless in respect to your credit card. I suppose your credit card will cover any CDW / TP excess? Last time at the Avis counter in CT I was told that CDW excess was ZAR 16,000 (agent insisted when I questioned this) however on earlier occasions I have been quoted ZAR 5-6,000 (it may have been a scam to sell the add. insurance coverage)
The excess changes depends on the car group, and the prices are available on the Avis website, I've never seen them as low as R5-6K with Avis, but it's always possible the rates are different if you book from 3rd parties.
Old Apr 24, 19, 6:14 am

Booked om Avis.dk (Danish webpage of Avis). Mind you this particular rental was in Dec 2017 so it may have changed by now.
Old Apr 24, 19, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Booked om Avis.dk (Danish webpage of Avis). Mind you this particular rental was in Dec 2017 so it may have changed by now.
The oldest RA I have on file is from Dec 2016, the excess for a group B car was ZAR 21,000 (booked via avis.nl), and in October 2017 the excess for a group C car was ZAR 25,000
Old Apr 24, 19, 9:34 am

I see. Maybe Super CDW was already included (however with a certain lower excess) and I paid extra for the excess to be reduced to zero. It may have been situation. I'm not aware how many levels of CDW coverage Avis applies.

Search this Thread