Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Long Layover in Johannesburg - what to do with 14 hours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long Layover in Johannesburg - what to do with 14 hours?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theteachertourist
if you are sensitive to high altitude. I was surprised by the altitude factor!
I guess that the degree of sensitivity must be highly variable.

I've never had any issues whatsoever in Johannesburg, it might as well be at sea level as far as I'm concerned. But then again, I've never had any issues in Mexico City either.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Dec 19, 2018 at 1:01 pm
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I guess that the degree of sensitivity must be highly variable.

I've never had any issues whatsoever in Johannesburg, it might as well be at sea level as far as I'm concerned. But then again, I've never had any issues in Mexico City either.
+1 Johannesburg is about 100 meters higher than Denver. I'm not worried.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
I'm not sure I'll have the time to make it to the Safari Park AND get a great lunch in the city. I think I am choosing cooked animals over live ones and staying close to the city
On that count (cooked animals), I echo the recommendation up-thread about The Butcher Shop in the mall in Sandton.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
As a local, I avoid the Butcher Shop in the Square in Sandton, unless I am getting something from the butchery. Stopped hosting Business meals there years ago, since I kept feeling as if we were pressurized to finish our meal and leave so that they could turn more tables. It has really changed over the years. Out of Towners are still impressed, but, as a local, I am indifferent of late.

There are some other, (and better), options - Wombles is amazing - great food and service, and if it is steak you are after, they will accommodate your needs. They recently moved, but the ambience is all about elegant "Colonial" dining. It is run by a husband and wife team who lived in Zimbabwe and they bring with them their hospitality industry knowledge.
The Grillhouse in Rosebank is also a strong contender, and close by, Marble serves an amazing rib-eye steak.

You can take the Gautrain to Sandton, (or Rosebank if you choose one of the latter places), and just Uber from there.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I ended up having a wonderful layover in Johannesburg and got to see a lot by booking a private tour through https://www.toursbylocals.com/. The guide was born and raised in South Africa and drove us through the city, and Soweto all day.

This was money really well spent, and I'll post a more in Trip Reports soon. For anyone who stumbles on this thread in the future please feel free to PM for details.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM
Any additional thoughts . . . ?

I'm beginning an MR tomorrow. Will have my longest layover at JNB on Monday-- approximately 15 hours, landing around 0700 and departing around 2200. I'd love to be able to shower and change upon arrival, but I'm guessing that won't be particularly easy, so perhaps will save showering until pre-departure from JNB. I'm planning to check my rollaboard at the airport and then wander around town. Literally the only thing I've done so far is locate what appears to be a very good coffee joint (Father Coffee in Rosebank), and I'm just planning to head that way via Gautrain and then see where the day takes me. I'd love to get down with a quality meal or three in my hours there, so any recommendations for not-to-be missed restaurants (that are open on Mondays!) would be appreciated. I'm mostly looking to just wander around and try to find a little downtime in restaurants, cafes, or parks, but again--I'm completely open, so let me know your thoughts, please!
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by maxwellh
I'm beginning an MR tomorrow. Will have my longest layover at JNB on Monday-- approximately 15 hours, landing around 0700 and departing around 2200. I'd love to be able to shower and change upon arrival, but I'm guessing that won't be particularly easy, so perhaps will save showering until pre-departure from JNB. I'm planning to check my rollaboard at the airport and then wander around town. Literally the only thing I've done so far is locate what appears to be a very good coffee joint (Father Coffee in Rosebank), and I'm just planning to head that way via Gautrain and then see where the day takes me. I'd love to get down with a quality meal or three in my hours there, so any recommendations for not-to-be missed restaurants (that are open on Mondays!) would be appreciated. I'm mostly looking to just wander around and try to find a little downtime in restaurants, cafes, or parks, but again--I'm completely open, so let me know your thoughts, please!
You could do the Hop On Hop Off bus tour of the city. We did it for a half day prior to an evening departure out of JNB and it was great. Even if you just stay on the bus for the tour, you'll get a great overview of many parts of the city.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...annesburg.html
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense, so Gautrain to Rosebank, then can hop on the round-the-city tourbus there and see where the day takes me.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:05 pm

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense, so Gautrain to Rosebank, then can hop on the round-the-city tourbus there and see where the day takes me.
The ticket shop for the bus tour is very close to the train station and there are many nice restaurants in the vicinity. We had lunch at a Greek restaurant nearby and it was very good. A person from the bus tour company will walk you over to the actual bus; it is a short walk through the shops. There are two bus routes; a green line and a red line. One is longer than the other and they both connect with each other at one location. We took the shorter line and visited Constitution Hill. The Constitution Hill museum is well-done with eye-opening history.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:10 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
The pay-per-use arrivals lounge has sadly now closed, but you can still go to the spa at the top of the IC hotel (150m walk from arrivals) and pay iirc ZAR 200 for a shower there.

And there are heaps of good coffee joints in JHB, I like Motherland myself but you can even get a good coffee at Woolworths. [I never understand why ironmanjt goes to Starbucks in Jozi, it's the crappiest coffee going...]
Old Dec 4, 2019, 5:11 am

Was thinking of hiring a car for a layover - does anyone know if Thrifty or Budget are in terminal and on site - ie no shuttle bus?

I see from other posts that Avis is on airport - but it is twice the price of Thrifty! And I'm Scottish!
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:44 am

95% certain that Thrifty are on airport (sure that I pass their desk on the way to the Hertz Gold shed in the carpark level 1), not so sure about Budget. If I have time next week I'll look out for you. And I've always found car hire in SA pretty cheap generally, said as a fellow Scot!
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:17 pm

Thanks Stewie!
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:20 am

Avis and Budget share a desk/office at JNB, so whoever you're booked with you'll be standing in the same queue. Thrifty are right next door.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:37 pm

Another question for you Stewie.

If the hire car doesn't have the magic box, do we need coins or notes to pay for road tolls - or can we use a foreign credit card?

And any idea how much cash we'll need?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.