Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Long Layover in Johannesburg - what to do with 14 hours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold

I am looking at booking a trip that will include a long day time layover in Johannesburg. A bit under 15 hours to be exact.

Anyone have any recommendations on day trips, tour guides, sites to see, or places to eat?? Better yet, any SA based FTers want to meet up for lunch and hang out?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I had about the same amount of time in JNB when I was there two two years ago. Maybe look at doing a Soweto tour, they have half day and full day options and are generally pretty affordable.

Could also just grab some lunch and maybe Uber over to the Apartheid Museum. I had dinner at the Grillhouse Rosebank and the steak was fantastic, could do that for lunch.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks you ChiefNWA.

This trip is in late February, so it's not too late for anyone to join me for much.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver Premier, IHG Platinum
Thanks ChiefNWA. I will be doing an MR there next weekend. I have about 12 hours and will look up those options.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aolj
Thanks ChiefNWA. I will be doing an MR there next weekend. I have about 12 hours and will look up those options.
Have a good trip, please report back with some JNB layover tips if you get a chance!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
We now have a Hop on Hop off bus system running https://www.citysightseeing.co.za/destinations/joburg/categories/open-top-bus-tours-joburg
You could get the Gautrain to Rosebank and get the bus for a ride around the city - some points worth seeing would be Constitution Hill, Apartheid Museum and the run through Soweto and the inner city - Braamfontein to be precise. Also the Mining District is interesting. Just skip Gold Reef City - it is a theme Park.

This would be the most time effective option. Also, when you are at ORTIA, you need to specify that you want a return ticket for the train, and when you get back, hand your card back for the refundable deposit - it is a small amount, but it is the principle that counts.
Of course, this all depends on what time you arrive and when you need to leave.
Feel free to PM me for any specific questions and I will try and help as best I can.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Originally Posted by Madone59
Thanks you ChiefNWA.

This trip is in late February, so it's not too late for anyone to join me for much.
How late is late February? Will be there for about 20 hours on February 25/26, came hear searching for the same answers as you are!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMFlagg
How late is late February? Will be there for about 20 hours on February 25/26, came hear searching for the same answers as you are!
I am scheduled for the full day of the 27th. Will I miss you by a day?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Unfortunately yes - hope you get the chance to enjoy the city just as I hope to in an abbreviated stop.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMFlagg
Unfortunately yes - hope you get the chance to enjoy the city just as I hope to in an abbreviated stop.
You too!

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Just skip Gold Reef City - it is a theme Park.
HAHA, someone else said this is the one place I SHOULD go Thank's for the save.
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:01 pm

Dlala Nje offers some very interesting inner city tours, including a trip to the fabulously infamous Ponte Tower. This was the highlight of my 3 day trip last year, along with the day trip to Pilanesberg, where I was able to spot just about all of the popular non-predatory African safari animals in a semi-natural setting on my self-drive mini safari.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:41 pm

If you want to see animals, the closest thing woudl the Lion and Safari Park. Otherwise, I would recommend a visit to Soweto and the Apartheid Museum.

For food, definitely recommend going to eat some steak which South Africa does a great job of. THe BUtcher shop, The Grillhouse, Wombles are my favorites. Make sure to try the biltong as well!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:10 am
Original Poster

I'm not sure I'll have the time to make it to the Safari Park AND get a great lunch in the city. I think I am choosing cooked animals over live ones and staying close to the city
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Emirates,NEXUS
Having spent limited time in Johannesburg I'm no expert but in 14 hours you could,I suspect,spend some time in a suburb called Sandton which is located on the transit line from the airport.The main feature of the city,from my limited experience,is its affluence...a level of affluence that equals anything you'd see in the US. Obviously, there are other things that are as interesting,if not more.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:19 pm

I visited the Apartheid Museum a few years ago when I had a short window in Johannesburg. It was very interesting, and you could combine that with a Soweto tour. With a short stopover, drink plenty of water and plan to move a bit more slowly than usual if you are sensitive to high altitude. I was surprised by the altitude factor!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.