Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Kenya Plastic Bag Ban - tourists, can face very heavy fines (up to USD 40,000)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:37 am
formerly airedalemom
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25K, AF, Marriott etc......

FYI- this includes Ziplock bags- no one is exempt.

Plastic bags

The use, manufacture or importation of plastic bags, including garbage bags and shopping bags, is illegal. Convicted offenders, including tourists, can face very heavy fines (up to USD 40,000), imprisonment for up to two years, or both.

Learn more about the plastic bag ban. http://www.nema.go.ke/images/feature...astics_ban.pdf

Visitors are advised to avoid packing any plastic bags in their suitcases or in carry-on hand luggage before flying to Kenya. Items purchased at the airport before boarding the aircraft should be removed from plastic bags. Please check hand luggage before disembarking in Nairobi and any plastic bags should be left in the plane. Similarly the transparent “zip-lock” plastic bags that some airlines require passengers to use for keeping liquids, cosmetics, toiletries etc separately in hand luggage are also not permitted to be brought into Kenya and should be removed and left on the plane before disembarking in Nairobi.

I usually travel with loads of ziplock bags but for our upcoming trip to Kenya I will be switching to clear polyurethane travel pouches.

Last edited by Queen B; Sep 5, 2017 at 8:45 am
Old Sep 5, 2017, 2:57 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
We heard about and worried about the ban. But We felt no effect from it whatsoever and our bags went through security at NBO and Wilson with ziploc bags and a duty free bag. Speaking of which, duty free purchases in NBO MUST be in the sealed clear, red top duty free plastic bag to get through gate security.

The focus is to end reliance on plastic shopping bags that litter the landscape for a couple miles as you approach any village. So the focus will be on retailers at first.

As a tourist I wouldn't sweat it. But I also wouldn't flaunt it.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:09 pm
formerly airedalemom
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz
We heard about and worried about the ban. But We felt no effect from it whatsoever and our bags went through security at NBO and Wilson with ziploc bags and a duty free bag. Speaking of which, duty free purchases in NBO MUST be in the sealed clear, red top duty free plastic bag to get through gate security.

The focus is to end reliance on plastic shopping bags that litter the landscape for a couple miles as you approach any village. So the focus will be on retailers at first.

As a tourist I wouldn't sweat it. But I also wouldn't flaunt it.
We have been advised by our guides to not bring any plastic bags, including Duty-free bags.
All visitors to Kenya are advised to use paper bags or bags made out of fabric and refrain from using plastic bags at all. Should businesses in Kenya offer plastic bags, these should be refused. There is an exception for duty free purchases when leaving Kenya, after central security in the airport.

Just in case they start enforcing and charging the fines.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
It isn't meant for tourists bring in a ziploc bag with their liquids in it. Or even the average Joe in Kenya who happens to have a plastic bag or two. It is targetting those who manufacture or import plastic bags.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/w...-bags-ban.html
"....Judy Wakhungu, Kenya’s environment minister, tried to allay people’s fears, telling Reuters that the ban was primarily aimed at manufacturers and suppliers. “Ordinary wananchi will not be harmed,” she said, using a Kiswahili word for “common person.”..

...The new regulations call for a fine of $19,000 to $38,000 or a four-year jail term for those manufacturing or importing plastic bags in Kenya. Plastics used in primary industrial packaging are exempt, according to the National Environment Management Authority, although it said that the new regulation would prohibit retailers from selling garbage bags".
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Data point: flew ZNZ-NBO this morning and had totally forgotten about the ban and was literally carrying a plastic shopping bag in my hand through immigration and customs. Not a word was said.

Still, I felt horrible when I realized what I had done when I got to the hotel and don't recommend it.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:51 am
formerly airedalemom
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Data point: flew ZNZ-NBO this morning and had totally forgotten about the ban and was literally carrying a plastic shopping bag in my hand through immigration and customs. Not a word was said.

Still, I felt horrible when I realized what I had done when I got to the hotel and don't recommend it.
oops! I was reading reports that said the custom officers haven't been properly prepared to deal with the ban yet. I'm concerned that they will be when I get there lol, so I wont take any chances
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any travel industry discussion? agree i will usually be overly safe with these things.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Have just returned from Kenya and, had I not read about the ban on plastic bags here, I would never have even known about it. There was no mention of it at NBO and I had many - probably 10 or so - plastic bags with me (for shoes, liquid bags, a lot of extra large ziplocs just in case etc). No signs anywhere either.

The only clue was in places where you would expect plastic bags, such as hotel garbage cans, shops etc - they are now using paper. But had I not read this, I would not have even noticed.

So, at least in my experience, they are not even looking at tourists for this. It truly is directed at manufacturers and importers. I don't think there is anything at all for a tourist bringing in a liquids bad to worry about in the slightest.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Nairobi media outlets are now reporting in the last few days that the "awareness phase" of the plastic bag ban is over and that arrests have begun of some engaged in manufacturing plastic bags surreptitiously at night.

As others here have said, there's no indication that they're as yet going after individuals, let alone tourists.

However, this was reported in late August:

“Since duty free shops at airports are considered to be outside the Kenyan territory, bags used at this point are not affected by the ban. However, any traveller coming into Kenya with duty free bags shall be required to leave the same at the entry points,” the authority’s director general Geoffrey Wahungu said in a notice to all manufactures, importers and users of plastic bags.
https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2017...rport_c1624249

As others have noted, above, enforcement even of that seems to be spotty.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
All is relative and do not make Kenya.. a point of no return for Tourist.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:40 am

Arrived back in Kenya yesterday and walked out the airport carrying a duty free bag. No one took the slightest interest.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
[QUOTE=Queen B;28778800]FYI- this includes Ziplock bags- no one is exempt.

Plastic bags

The use, manufacture or importation of plastic bags, including garbage bags and shopping bags, is illegal. Convicted offenders, including tourists, can face very heavy fines (up to USD 40,000), imprisonment for up to two years, or both.

Learn more about the plastic bag ban. http://www.nema.go.ke/images/feature...astics_ban.pdf

I can't see anything on the official notice about ziplock bags? Did I miss it>
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I arrived in Kenya (NBO airport) late last month, and was carrying a white plastic bag with a few items. When I left the baggage claim area, the official told me to remove the contents and discard the bag in the garbage that was nearby.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:49 pm

Traveling to Nairobi in a couple of months... Does this seriously include ziplock bags?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mrstraveler
Traveling to Nairobi in a couple of months... Does this seriously include ziplock bags?
In theory, probably. In enforcement for tourists, probably not. Worst case, you are searched at customs and asked to discard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.