Wiki Posts
Search

Giraffe Manor, Kenya

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:54 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Giraffe Manor, Kenya

Who has stayed at Giraffe Manor in Kenya? This is the property where giraffes often stick their heads in thru windows while you are eating breakfast. Is the hotel luxurious or is it kitsch? What else is there to do while at the hotel?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I've not stayed there, but the main attraction definitely is watching and interacting with the giraffes. I believe there's an elephant orphanage nearby and a few museums, but that's hardly why people stay there.

I'm sure it's a unique experience, but two nights or one night + arriving early or departing late (which they sometimes allow for a surcharge) should be perfectly sufficient.

Btw, BBC recently had a 45min documentary about Giraffe Manor which you may be able to watch with the right VPN.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I am staying there next month. There is the Sheldrick elephant orphanage (http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org) there as well. I am assuming (by the prices) that it is more on the luxury end of the scale but I'll report back in September. They do offer you a private car to take you wherever you like during your stay. I have one booked for a couple of times during our stay.

And as Jasper says, you can arrive early or check out late for a fee. We are arriving at 7:00am on our first day so we get an extra breakfast (which is the highlight, apparently) and I believe the cost was $60. They are picking us up from a Nairobi hotel at 7am.

Last edited by Finkface; Jul 18, 2017 at 10:30 pm
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:00 am

I'm so fascinated by this hotel, I really want to stay one night. how much did you pay per night? and how's the availability?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by xmrbrightside89
I'm so fascinated by this hotel, I really want to stay one night. how much did you pay per night? and how's the availability?
It was $1200/night plus an extra $60 per person to arrive early on the first day for breakfast. Suites are $2,000. Availability is non-existant because there are very few rooms; there are just 10 rooms and 2 suites. We booked a year in advance and had to adjust our entire schedule as there was literally nothing available other than the nights that we got. And we really wanted to be in the original Main Manor vs the garden wing although we would have taken anything. We lucked out, though, and got one my top 2 room choices - a deluxe room in the Main Manor.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL MM, AS Gold, Marriott Plat, SPG, ICH
Stayed there 2 years ago--luxe, for sure. Excellent food; very comfortable rooms (although the original manor house *is* an old residence and I had the room over the kitchen, so it was a little noisy first thing.) We arrived in time for late lunch one day, then did an afternoon trip off-campus, and came back in time for happy hour/dinner. Left the following morning post-breakfast, so we had 3 meals and stayed just under 1 day.

RE: things to do--the giraffes come up to the manor house in the morning and evening (think breakfast and happy hour); you can also walk over to the small giraffe 'zoo' onsite and see some up close and learn a little more. There are also resident warthogs that wander around all day. DON'T MISS EITHER OF THE GIRAFFE VISITS.

In terms of off-property things to do, as others have mentioned: David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage is a good trip (if you can get the once-per-day private tour, even better); you can visit Karen Blixen's home (the author of 'Out of Africa'), but that was a bit underwhelming, to be honest. There's also a great gift outlet at the Utamaduni Craft Centre.

It was truly an awesome way for us to spend our first night in Kenya, before heading out on safari, and a once-in-a-lifetime kind of experience. Enjoy!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Chuppi
Stayed there 2 years ago--luxe, for sure. Excellent food; very comfortable rooms (although the original manor house *is* an old residence and I had the room over the kitchen, so it was a little noisy first thing.) We arrived in time for late lunch one day, then did an afternoon trip off-campus, and came back in time for happy hour/dinner. Left the following morning post-breakfast, so we had 3 meals and stayed just under 1 day.

RE: things to do--the giraffes come up to the manor house in the morning and evening (think breakfast and happy hour); you can also walk over to the small giraffe 'zoo' onsite and see some up close and learn a little more. There are also resident warthogs that wander around all day. DON'T MISS EITHER OF THE GIRAFFE VISITS.

In terms of off-property things to do, as others have mentioned: David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage is a good trip (if you can get the once-per-day private tour, even better); you can visit Karen Blixen's home (the author of 'Out of Africa'), but that was a bit underwhelming, to be honest. There's also a great gift outlet at the Utamaduni Craft Centre.

It was truly an awesome way for us to spend our first night in Kenya, before heading out on safari, and a once-in-a-lifetime kind of experience. Enjoy!
What room did you have? We are in Daisy's room, which was one of my top
two choices, the other being Betty.

And yes, we have booked the private tour at Sheldrick, which you can only do as a foster 'parent'. I encourage everyone to foster an elephant. $50/year and the work these people do is indescribable. Not only do I foster (my latest is Malkia), but I also give foster elephants as gifts to friends and family who do not need any more 'stuff'.

I challenge anyone to read the story of Sattayo, their latest rescue, and not be moved to pull out your wallet. http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I was there as a solo traveler over Easter weekend. Got a VERY old and poorly appointed room. I was NOT happy. I managed to check out some other rooms that did have nice bathrooms and nicer rooms than what they put me in. No 2 rooms are alike so I would definitely look for room photos online and ASK for a particular room.
It was very quiet,peaceful and most of all SAFE as Nairobi is quite dangerous and I traveled there as a single woman.
They do have great transportation to just about anywhere you wish to go in Nairobi and the staff was really great. The food was nice at breakfast and lunch but dinner was kind of an odd situation. NO lights in the dining room and candlelight dining was way too dark plus you basically had to eat what they cooked. Not really okay for such an expensive place.
I would stay there for 1 night but no more for the real novelty of the giraffes at tea time and at breakfast. Many very nice guests to chat and socialize with and that made it a very pleasant stay.
I will mention that the resort was shutting down the week after Easter for "renovation and refurbishment" for around 3 weeks. Perhaps that had an impact on the overall experience?
The giraffes were really quite nice to see, feed and learn about and it was really fun to meet other travelers from all over the world.

Last edited by sweetsleep; Aug 4, 2017 at 6:03 pm Reason: Need to add the room I stayed in
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I was in the Marlon room-stay away from that room
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
I was there as a solo traveler over Easter weekend. Got a VERY old and poorly appointed room. I was NOT happy. I managed to check out some other rooms that did have nice bathrooms and nicer rooms than what they put me in. No 2 rooms are alike so I would definitely look for room photos online and ASK for a particular room.
It was very quiet,peaceful and most of all SAFE as Nairobi is quite dangerous and I traveled there as a single woman.
They do have great transportation to just about anywhere you wish to go in Nairobi and the staff was really great. The food was nice at breakfast and lunch but dinner was kind of an odd situation. NO lights in the dining room and candlelight dining was way too dark plus you basically had to eat what they cooked. Not really okay for such an expensive place.
I would stay there for 1 night but no more for the real novelty of the giraffes at tea time and at breakfast. Many very nice guests to chat and socialize with and that made it a very pleasant stay.
I will mention that the resort was shutting down the week after Easter for "renovation and refurbishment" for around 3 weeks. Perhaps that had an impact on the overall experience?
The giraffes were really quite nice to see, feed and learn about and it was really fun to meet other travelers from all over the world.
Interesting about dinner. I knew it was by candlelight but they did asked specifically about dietary requirements (I don't eat meat or fish/seafood). But I guess they prepare just one or two things so there is no menu as such.

I was pretty picky about which room I got. Marlon was definitely on my stay-away list. Good to know I was right about that. As I said, I wanted either Daisy or Betty as they have the balconies which are great for giraffe feeding. And yes, I am just doing one night but arriving early for an extra breakfast the first morning.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sad if they are relying on somewhat unique offering and letting things slip
IIRC in past FT had some good posts including from upscale safari regulars

good reminder can always ask to see all available rooms at checkin
and when certain category can guarantee good room, can be worth it
if larger africa trip, some ('local') agents/operators may improve stay
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
sad if they are relying on somewhat unique offering and letting things slip
IIRC in past FT had some good posts including from upscale safari regulars

good reminder can always ask to see all available rooms at checkin
and when certain category can guarantee good room, can be worth it
if larger africa trip, some ('local') agents/operators may improve stay
I doubt there will be any available rooms at check in. They only have 10 rooms (plus 2 suites) and they book up months, if not a year, in advance. We booked a year ahead and there were only three nights out of the entire month of Sept to choose from with only one room available on each of those nights. It doesn't seem like the kind of place that gets a lot of cancellations, either.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: DL MM, AS Gold, Marriott Plat, SPG, ICH
I stayed in the Lynn room (which is where I heard the breakfast rustle in the morning).

I will say that in the morning, it really didn't matter what room you were in--everyone opened their rooms so others could see the giraffes. I was in a group that had a total of 4 rooms, but we let others through the rooms onto the balconies and windows when the giraffes were there.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:37 am

I just stayed there in June-my second visit. The giraffes are amazing and you have chances to feed them at breakfast and tea time. Early in the morning, they will come to certain rooms to eat from the second floor windows. They are also all along the breakfast room windows and out on the patio, so you get a good view and you can feed them even if they did not come to your window. They return at tea time, so you can visit with them again out front where the staff serves snacks, tea, and drinks from the bar. The rooms and bathrooms are English country house style, not Four Seasons style. They often have a fire going where the bar is set up and other cozy touches like that. I thought the food was good. I asked ahead for vegetarian dishes and they were happy to provide them. If you don't eat certain things, let them know ahead, otherwise you won't be offered many choices. If you can get a room, go!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
We didn't stay there, but we arranged a trip through the Nairobi Hilton to visit the Giraffe Park, not the hotel. We were on a raised platform and the guide gave us giraffe kibble to feed to the giraffes. He even showed us to put a pellet in the mouth, so the giraffes could kiss us. From what the guide said, giraffe tongues are antiseptic. Who knows? But I didn't get sick from it. This, by the way, was on the same trip where we met you, SanDiego1K, the famous Hilton Award at Salt Lick Lodge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.