Search

Egypt transit visa

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Egypt transit visa

So now Egypt has put the cost of a visa on arrival up to $60, was wondering if I can avoid the fee altogether.

Was thinking of booking DAR-(somewhere)-CAI (36 hours)-LON and LON-CAI 4ish hours-(somewhere)-DAR. I'd want to collect and re-check bags on the way back.

Timatic says:

Transiting without a visa is possible for:

Holders of onward tickets for a max. transit time of 48 hours.

This does not apply if transiting through Borg Elarab Airport (HBE).

Holders of onward tickets for a max. transit time of 6 hours if transiting through Borg Elarab Airport (HBE).

Leaving the airport is permitted for passengers with transit time longer than 6 hours. Passengers with transit time of less than 6 hours may leave the transit area but not the airport.
Has anyone ever made this work?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by typical
Has anyone ever made this work?
Yes. I'd pay the $60 to avoid having to deal with the hassle again. Expect about 2 hours of trying to explain what you are trying to do and then 2 hours standing around and waiting while they figure out how to do it. Then they will hold your passport and give you a dodgy "receipt" to hold onto instead while you are in the country, and you have to claim the passport back at departures when you are leaving.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
as i understand it hasnt been increased yet-from july..

however,how do you get the free transit visa?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Yes. I'd pay the $60 to avoid having to deal with the hassle again. Expect about 2 hours of trying to explain what you are trying to do and then 2 hours standing around and waiting while they figure out how to do it. Then they will hold your passport and give you a dodgy "receipt" to hold onto instead while you are in the country, and you have to claim the passport back at departures when you are leaving.
Frightening scenario; I like to have my passport with me while traveling. Depending on your nationality, get whatever you have to get, but keep your passport with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.