Ethiopia safe to travel to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ethiopia safe to travel to?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Ethiopian Airlines

Looking to book free tickets to Seychelles (SEZ) coming from the US on Star Alliance Airlines...Ethiopian airlines is the only one right now with availability.
We would have a 2 hour layover.
A couple of questions:
-Is 2 hours enough to make a connection at ADD?
-If we get stuck by missing a connection, is there somewhere to sleep at ADD without having to leave the airport?
-Lastly, we will be traveling with 6 people. Myself and my wife, both late 40's, and my two boys 12 and 13. We're all comfortable flying virtually anywhere. My in-laws however, are a little shaky going to potentially dangerous places. Does ADD itself feel safe? In other words, is it modern and relatively clean? Same questions about Ethiopian Airlines...thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Looking to book free tickets to Seychelles (SEZ) coming from the US on Star Alliance Airlines...Ethiopian airlines is the only one right now with availability.
We would have a 2 hour layover.
A couple of questions:
-If we get stuck by missing a connection, is there somewhere to sleep at ADD without having to leave the airport?
-Lastly, we will be traveling with 6 people. Myself and my wife, both late 40's, and my two boys 12 and 13. We're all comfortable flying virtually anywhere. My in-laws however, are a little shaky going to potentially dangerous places. Does ADD itself feel safe? In other words, is it modern and relatively clean? Same questions about Ethiopian Airlines...thanks in advance for your help!
1. Assuming you flight isn’t delayed, two hours should suffice. This link shows minimum connection times by destinations https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/AA...onnecting-time

2. I don’t believe there is an airport in the hotel but you will notice that there are many cots that people sleep on throughout the airport. Personally, it’s not my cup of tea but some people are fine with them. With 6 people don’t think this would be a viable option to you. Keep in my Ethiopian airlines offers a free hotel (visa, means, transportation included) if your connection is over 8 hours, so if you miss your flight I would assume you can take advantage of. I’ve utilized it before.
https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/AA...baba-stopovers

3. As far as Ethiopian airlines, I believe you all will be fine. It was comfy, clean, and the flight attendants were nice. As far as ADD, I’m not a fan. I consider it slightly run down and not clean (so are many airports in US i.e. LGA). I have been to ADD multiple times and will tell you that based on looks and the surrounding areas, you may not feel comfortable. However, I’ve never once felt uneasy or not safe. You guys will be fine. Just remember it’s not as bad as it looks!

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by vitaminJ

1. Assuming you flight isn’t delayed, two hours should suffice. This link shows minimum connection times by destinations https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/AA...onnecting-time

2. I don’t believe there is an airport in the hotel but you will notice that there are many cots that people sleep on throughout the airport. Personally, it’s not my cup of tea but some people are fine with them. With 6 people don’t think this would be a viable option to you. Keep in my Ethiopian airlines offers a free hotel (visa, means, transportation included) if your connection is over 8 hours, so if you miss your flight I would assume you can take advantage of. I’ve utilized it before.
https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/AA...baba-stopovers

3. As far as Ethiopian airlines, I believe you all will be fine. It was comfy, clean, and the flight attendants were nice. As far as ADD, I’m not a fan. I consider it slightly run down and not clean (so are many airports in US i.e. LGA). I have been to ADD multiple times and will tell you that based on looks and the surrounding areas, you may not feel comfortable. However, I’ve never once felt uneasy or not safe. You guys will be fine. Just remember it’s not as bad as it looks!

Hope that helps.
That's great information, and kind of what I figured. We will have Star Alliance lounge access, so in the event of a delay, we should be fairly comfortable.

Thanks again for the information, it's very helpful!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by bsdstone
2 hours is about 1 hour too long. It isn't a particularly large airport and 45 minute connections are routine.

Officially no. If your rebooked flight is more than 8 hours later, you will be required to leave the airport (visa will be sponsored by ET who will also provide meals, hotel, transport, etc..). The purpose of the regulation is to reduce congestion in the terminal from stranded passengers hanging out for long periods of time. In practice though this is not enforced strictly, but I cannot for the life of me think why you wouldn't prefer a decent hotel to sleeping on the floor or on the ratty cots set up around the airport.

Are you referring to ADD (Bole International Airport) or the city itself? Neither is unsafe, but the airport can be overwhelming at peak hours (6am-10am and 8pm-1am). Ethiopian Airlines is absolutely fine - an international standard airline with decent service and excellent reliability (by African standards).
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B747-437B
2 hours is about 1 hour too long. It isn't a particularly large airport and 45 minute connections are routine.

Officially no. If your rebooked flight is more than 8 hours later, you will be required to leave the airport (visa will be sponsored by ET who will also provide meals, hotel, transport, etc..). The purpose of the regulation is to reduce congestion in the terminal from stranded passengers hanging out for long periods of time. In practice though this is not enforced strictly, but I cannot for the life of me think why you wouldn't prefer a decent hotel to sleeping on the floor or on the ratty cots set up around the airport.

Are you referring to ADD (Bole International Airport) or the city itself? Neither is unsafe, but the airport can be overwhelming at peak hours (6am-10am and 8pm-1am). Ethiopian Airlines is absolutely fine - an international standard airline with decent service and excellent reliability (by African standards).
Thank you! That is all incredibly helpful!

As you say, I would prefer a hotel to the cot...however, my in-laws (who are wonderful people) get a little freaked out by Africa and not so well developed places. We were in South Africa a few years back and it took them a while to realize we weren't going to get killed! :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.