Masai Mara

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Masai Mara

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Masai Mara

Looking for experiences/recommendations for a trip to East Africa next Sept, 2017.

We are thinking of flying into NBO, spending 2 nights at Giraffe Manor and then looking for something else for 3 or 4 nights. The main objectives are seeing big cats in a 4x4 type of guided experience, staying in a private room/tent with shower/toilet - i.e. Not too rustic but doesn't need to be super luxury either. Small-ish in size, as I hate feeling like I am on a bus tour with 50 other people. In the thick of the action, so we aren't looking at hours of driving to get to game viewing spots. Ease of getting there (i.e. Provides transport to and from either Nairobi or from another airport if a flight to somewhere nearby is needed) would be ideal.

I've looked at Encounter Mara based on a trip report here of FT http://www.asiliaafrica.com/east-afr...ncounter-mara/ which seems to fit the idea but I'm early in the research and would love some suggestions.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Hi Finkface!

A great option would be Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp. They have Classic Tents at $450 pp pn and Superior Tents at $575 and up. They have great food, accommodation and service. I have been there with my own family and it's lovely!

Since they are on a private concession, you can do night drives and go on early AM drives which is such an added bonus. You can also drive off road which is not allowed in the National Park. Short ride to the gate of the National Park too. Jeeps are open and not the typical pop up top vans. So much nicer being out in the open fresh air. Guides are excellent and definitely well-versed.

We spent a nice afternoon at a Masai Village which was great. The leader of the village had 19 wives. My husband asked, "What's it like having so many wives? How do you do it?" He said via the translator, "It's great since there's always one who is in a happy mood!" Then he laughed and so did we!

Getting to Kichwa Tembo is a short easy flight from Wilson airport. Giraffe Manor is excellent. Always fun to interact with the giraffes.

If you'd like to see great pics, pm me and I'll send you the link.

Happy to help!

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Thanks! PM sent. Any other experiences out there?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Have a look at Naibosho Camp on the Naibosho Conservancy adjacent to the Mara. Kichwa Tembo for me is too big. Naibosho has 9 tents, no electric fence (have heard a kill in camp).

The main Mara can be quite busy, but the conservancies restrict the number of beds = less people = less vehicles. Naibosho has some of the highest concentrations of lions in Kenya, and the camp manager Roelef is an excellent walking guide.

You can always do a day trip into the Main Mara with a packed breakfast and/or lunch.

http://www.asiliaafrica.com/east-afr...-a59ce7ac-c177

Also Rekero Camp is quite nice - but in the main mara.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Have a look at Naibosho Camp on the Naibosho Conservancy adjacent to the Mara. Kichwa Tembo for me is too big. Naibosho has 9 tents, no electric fence (have heard a kill in camp).

The main Mara can be quite busy, but the conservancies restrict the number of beds = less people = less vehicles. Naibosho has some of the highest concentrations of lions in Kenya, and the camp manager Roelef is an excellent walking guide.

You can always do a day trip into the Main Mara with a packed breakfast and/or lunch.

http://www.asiliaafrica.com/east-afr...-a59ce7ac-c177

Also Rekero Camp is quite nice - but in the main mara.
Naboisho Camp was one of the first I looked at and it looks spectacular. I loved it, but it is double the cost of most others. Most of the luxury tented camps are around $600 pp/per night. Naboisho is over $1,000 pp. At over $2,000 per night, that is getting up there. Is is that much better than the others? I don't mind paying more for something that is head and shoulders above the others, but is Naboisho that much better?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Naboisho commands that price for the location, and style of camp it is. There is huge demand for that one property. It is no where near as luxurious as Mahali Mzuri, Bush Tops but for me the game is incredible.

There are so many properties to choose from in the Mara. Have a look at Asilia Africa, Cheli and Peacock or Elewana.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
Hi Finkface,

Based on what you wrote, I also think Kichwa Tembo is not right for you. It is quite a large camp (80 guests) which may not appeal to you given your comment about being with 50 people and also your comment that Encounter Mara looks nice. Encounter Mara is a small, intimate camp on a private conservancy.

I have a really high level of confidence in the Asilia product in general. I have not been to Encounter Mara as it was not in their portfolio on my last trip to the Mara in March 2014. They only acquired it in 2015. The camp is on a private conservancy adjacent to the Mara and guests are given a full day picnic and safari into the national reserve if staying for 3+ nights. During this day you look for crossing points. Crossing points are locations where the great migrations (wildebeest mostly) are crossing the Mara or Talek River. Historically, the crossings only happen in August and September and a few weeks on either side (depending on rain mostly). You are going during the perfect time! The rest of the time, the migrations is simply a blob of animals. Do keep in mind that Encounter Mara and its sister camp Naboisho are about 1h45m drive from the typical crossing points. Naboisho is another small, intimate camp and I have been there. Like you said it is sold at a bit of a premium because it is on private land (and other reasons). The manager’s husband is Roelof Schutte. He is arguably one of the best dangerous animal hiking guides on the continent.

If budget is unlimited you can never go wrong with Mara Plains and the company that owns it is Great Plains Conservation. I had clients check out four days ago and they say multiple crossings and much general game and lots of big cats. Great Plains is also opening a new camp called Mara Toto very close to Encounter Mara next year. They have bought the horses from Singita and will have riding stables as well. Mara Plains might be out of your budget comfort level but not sure on Toto. It is probably going to position itself close to Naboisho.

Giraffe Manor is owned by an acquaintance of mine named Tanya Carr-Hartley. They also have a camp inside the Mara National reserve called Salas. It is tucked away in a quiet corner on the Tanzania border and the bus tour groups cannot get to the area in a day. It is roughly $800/night. You might want to consider this camp. I think they have a combo special with Giraffe Manor. Or, at least they do this year.

If you want to be in the thick of the action right where the crossings happen then you should consider Mara Ngenche, Naibor, or Rekerro. All are right on the Talek River where it empties into the Mara. All are small, intimate tented camps. Rekerro is a sister property to Encounters. I have been to all.

Anyway, you have a lot of choices. If you are looking for really good value for money, a go-to for me and my clients is Speekes Camp.

Good luck.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.