Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safari with young kids

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
are they required outside the concession?
That's correct.

Game viewing vehicles on public roads in Kruger must comply with SANParks specs. Canopy and side panels of a certain height are compulsory, and the windscreen must be up.

In private reserves vehicles don't have panels or canopies, sometimes not even front doors or windscreens. The canopy frame is a major nuisance when driving off-road, and as a guest I find them annoying because you constantly have to look around the bars. It's like riding in a prison van. The canopy itself hinders bird watching.

The lodges operating in KNP concessions have to compromise. They will remove canopies on request, for bird watching groups that's a must. Some have frames that can be removed quite easily, but it is still a hassle they try to avoid.

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
There was one occasion where we left the concession to go to a public area where we could find Hippo.
Lugmag Dam, I bet.

Johan
Old Apr 17, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by johan rebel
That's correct.

Game viewing vehicles on public roads in Kruger must comply with SANParks specs. Canopy and side panels of a certain height are compulsory, and the windscreen must be up.
That's what I assumed, as when we entered the main public road near the concession, the tracker came off the bumper seat and the windshield was raised.

I am not sure the name of the area with the hippos, but it was quite a major river. Here's a photo.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, the tracker has to sit in back too.

That looks like the Crocodile River, or possibly one of its tributaries such as the Byamiti or Lwakahle. (Lugmag Dam is nowhere near Lukimbi, not sure what I was thinking!)

Johan
Old Apr 17, 2016, 2:50 am

It is definitely on the Crocodile River
Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:31 am

More from my trip here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-qr-saa-y.html
Old Apr 17, 2016, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Don't want to start a new thread for this so hence. A unabridged birth certificate is one that basically states both the parents name on it right? Also the one I have is a laminated original, will that be a issue?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Don't want to start a new thread for this so hence. A unabridged birth certificate is one that basically states both the parents name on it right? Also the one I have is a laminated original, will that be a issue?
You didn't need to start a new thread. There already is one.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...ules-kids.html
Old Apr 17, 2016, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
You didn't need to start a new thread. There already is one.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...ules-kids.html
^
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Hey there onlysuites!

A UBC or unabridged birth certificate is also known as an original birth certificate which typically has an embossed seal on it or something of that nature. A laminated one will not work.

Also if a parent/guardian is traveling with the child then the non-traveling parent/guardian has to fill out, sign and have notarized an affidavit to allow the traveling parent/guardian to go in and out of South Africa with the child. I don't know if this applies to you but it will be required.

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne_AfricaDirectUSA
Hey there onlysuites!

A UBC or unabridged birth certificate is also known as an original birth certificate which typically has an embossed seal on it or something of that nature. A laminated one will not work.

Also if a parent/guardian is traveling with the child then the non-traveling parent/guardian has to fill out, sign and have notarized an affidavit to allow the traveling parent/guardian to go in and out of South Africa with the child. I don't know if this applies to you but it will be required.

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Once again Thank you Dianne. ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.