Search

Safari with young kids

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Safari with young kids

Thinking about a Safari with my family, youngest is 2 and the toddler is 6. I know the young one will not be able to go out for the safari but has anyone done this before? Did you feel comfortable leaving your kid daily twice with baby sitting?

Any kids friendly resorts in Kenya or South Africa?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
Hi There,

Plenty of people do this so don't worry! Jeanie Fundora from our office has already taken her four year old daughter on safari twice. When she was one, they went to South Africa and last April when her daughter was three they went on a tiger safari in India.

Last summer I booked a family of 13 with an infant on safari in Kenya and I just made sure they had pop-top land cruisers for them. They used two seven seat land cruisers and the baby sat in a car seat in the middle of the back row. The young kids were safe and contained inside the land rover and could still pop out the top if the adults wanted them too.

I often recommend the private conservancies adjacent to the Masai Mara but, for you, I actually think a safari in the Mara National Reserve would be good. Although the lodge is a bit larger than most that I recommend, you could stay at Mara Intrepids with a private guide (vs. using the normal camp guides and vehicles). They have a special full board rate just for this scenario. The tour operator you choose could hire the private guide for you and the guide would come from Nairobi. I hired Stanley Kariithi and he guided a family of nine for me several years ago from Mara Intrepids. He knows the Talek River valley and area around Intrepids like the back of his hand and Intrepids has a big pool!

For a second lodge, perhaps Lewa House in Lewa Downs would be a good choice. The owners, Sophie and Callum McFarlane are raising their very small children on the property and they own it and manage it. So, it is very child friendly! It also has a pool.

Don’t be discouraged. You can easily do this and have the time of your life! I took my kids on safari for the first time when they were 3 & 5 in South Africa. I don’t remember my first two (of 38) safaris because I was 1 and 3!

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Thinking about a Safari with my family, youngest is 2 and the toddler is 6. I know the young one will not be able to go out for the safari but has anyone done this before? Did you feel comfortable leaving your kid daily twice with baby sitting?

Any kids friendly resorts in Kenya or South Africa?
See,
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...fari-kids.html

I would still recommend Kwandwe for the same reasons discussed previously.

To me personally, six is a bit young for the following reasons/questions - how often will you get to go? Are you traveling a great distance/is this a "once-in-lifetime" trip? IMO, six is a bit young for the child to soak it all in and truly remember it all. Maybe a little older would do as a memory maker.

No issues with childcare in SA. But, I'm a bit biased as I have family, friends, folks who are top notch and my kids have grown up with.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SafariCraig
Hi There,

Plenty of people do this so don't worry! Jeanie Fundora from our office has already taken her four year old daughter on safari twice. When she was one, they went to South Africa and last April when her daughter was three they went on a tiger safari in India.

Last summer I booked a family of 13 with an infant on safari in Kenya and I just made sure they had pop-top land cruisers for them. They used two seven seat land cruisers and the baby sat in a car seat in the middle of the back row. The young kids were safe and contained inside the land rover and could still pop out the top if the adults wanted them too.

I often recommend the private conservancies adjacent to the Masai Mara but, for you, I actually think a safari in the Mara National Reserve would be good. Although the lodge is a bit larger than most that I recommend, you could stay at Mara Intrepids with a private guide (vs. using the normal camp guides and vehicles). They have a special full board rate just for this scenario. The tour operator you choose could hire the private guide for you and the guide would come from Nairobi. I hired Stanley Kariithi and he guided a family of nine for me several years ago from Mara Intrepids. He knows the Talek River valley and area around Intrepids like the back of his hand and Intrepids has a big pool!

For a second lodge, perhaps Lewa House in Lewa Downs would be a good choice. The owners, Sophie and Callum McFarlane are raising their very small children on the property and they own it and manage it. So, it is very child friendly! It also has a pool.

Don’t be discouraged. You can easily do this and have the time of your life! I took my kids on safari for the first time when they were 3 & 5 in South Africa. I don’t remember my first two (of 38) safaris because I was 1 and 3!

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
Thank you for your thorough reply. Lewa House in Lewa Downs looks fantastic. In regards to safety there aren't any issues when you take toddlers on safari are there?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
See,
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...fari-kids.html

I would still recommend Kwandwe for the same reasons discussed previously.

To me personally, six is a bit young for the following reasons/questions - how often will you get to go? Are you traveling a great distance/is this a "once-in-lifetime" trip? IMO, six is a bit young for the child to soak it all in and truly remember it all. Maybe a little older would do as a memory maker.

No issues with childcare in SA. But, I'm a bit biased as I have family, friends, folks who are top notch and my kids have grown up with.
We travel quite a few times a year so if we like it then I could see us going every couple of years. Not really a great distance as I am based in Europe so both are >10 hrs for me.

To be honest it's more to do with me as I am the one who gets itchy feet after being home for a couple of months. I have never been on a Safari before and wanted to try one out.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:35 pm

Funny, Jeanie took her daughter to Kwandwe as well (when she was 1).

The real safety concern is just never to leave kids unattended out in the bush. Animals that would normally steer clear of adults may not be so frightened of little ones.

Like I said, the people that own Lewa House (I know them personally) have small kids living on the property. Sirikoi is very close to Lewa Downs and they have an electric fence that keeps out some of the animals from the common areas. The managers at Lewa House also raise their small kids on property. Like I said, in many ways, Kenya is the most family friendly safari destination IMO.

Statistically, the most dangerous part of any safari is the drive from your home to the airport while in the USA.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SafariCraig
Funny, Jeanie took her daughter to Kwandwe as well (when she was 1).

The real safety concern is just never to leave kids unattended out in the bush. Animals that would normally steer clear of adults may not be so frightened of little ones.

Like I said, the people that own Lewa House (I know them personally) have small kids living on the property. Sirikoi is very close to Lewa Downs and they have an electric fence that keeps out some of the animals from the common areas. The managers at Lewa House also raise their small kids on property. Like I said, in many ways, Kenya is the most family friendly safari destination IMO.

Statistically, the most dangerous part of any safari is the drive from your home to the airport while in the USA.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond.
Thank you Craig ^
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
We are headed to South Africa in two weeks with a 4 year old and a 7 year old. Will let you know our experience.

One thing there, is that we needed to pay for a private safari vehicle from the lodge if we wanted to take the 4 year old on drives. No dramas.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
No dramas.
I understand that, for safety reasons, rangers will sometimes avoid certain places/things b/c kids are in the vehicle. I suppose it is not "fair" to other unrelated paying guests who want to do/see it all. Hence, the need for your own vehicle.

On some vehicles, people are VERY serious about what they're looking at and how they're looking (e.g. serious video/photographers, birders) and don't want kids mucking about "ruining" the drive. I was once on a drive with serious birders (me, I'd rather watch paint dry) and an all-too-happy to abide ranger. By the end of the stay, I was going mad over the differences between yellow-bellied whatever and the blue-billed flying thingy's various calls, colors, etc. Wanted to rip the birder book out of their hands and throw it in the dam.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:13 pm

jynydcsa - Just so you know, many upscale safari lodges require any party with kids under 12 to pay for and utilize a private safari vehicle. For those lodges that don't require this, they would be very unlikely to a party of adults on a game drive vehicle with a family with young kids. Some small lodges, especially in places like Botswana, may not even allow kids unless the family takes over the entire camp on an exclusive use basis.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I understand that, for safety reasons, rangers will sometimes avoid certain places/things b/c kids are in the vehicle. I suppose it is not "fair" to other unrelated paying guests who want to do/see it all. Hence, the need for your own vehicle.

On some vehicles, people are VERY serious about what they're looking at and how they're looking (e.g. serious video/photographers, birders) and don't want kids mucking about "ruining" the drive. I was once on a drive with serious birders (me, I'd rather watch paint dry) and an all-too-happy to abide ranger. By the end of the stay, I was going mad over the differences between yellow-bellied whatever and the blue-billed flying thingy's various calls, colors, etc. Wanted to rip the birder book out of their hands and throw it in the dam.
Hilarious!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:57 pm

Yeah, not complaining, I would have purchased a private vehicle anyways. I prefer family time. And I definitely want to avoid your situation. LOL.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Yeah, not complaining, I would have purchased a private vehicle anyways. I prefer family time. And I definitely want to avoid your situation. LOL.
How much does a private vehicle run? Roughly?

Anyone been to the Virgin resort in South Africa?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
How much does a private vehicle run? Roughly?

Anyone been to the Virgin resort in South Africa?
I'm not really sure as it's all part of the package and it's not transparent.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:45 am

Private vehicles are typically $400-$600 per day per vehicle on top of the normal rates. What you get when you pay for a private vehicle is usually the afternoon game drive on the first day and the morning game drive on the second day. That would be "one day".

I have been to Mahale Mzuri, the Virgin Camp in Kenya. It is nice and in one of the best game viewing areas in the Mara ecosystem. It is on a private conservancy so no crowds. I have not been to Ulusaba but they conduct their game drives in the western sector of the Sabi Sands along with six other properties. I have been on safari in the same place where they drive but I have not stayed at the property.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.