Reload this Page >

Safari with young kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safari with young kids

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Just been advised that Jaci's is sold out for our dates. Dianne/Craig/FT friends could you suggest some other lodges which are child friendly in the Madikwe area?
I'd also check Tau Game Lodge too!

Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dianne_AfricaDirectUSA
Oh too bad.. No worries.. Have you checked Madikwe Safari Lodge?

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
I'd also check Tau Game Lodge too!

Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Thank you. ^^^^^
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Tell you what the Madikwe Safari Lodge looks superb.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Then again so does Tau Game Lodge ^

Thank you to you both.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Happy to help! Let me know if I can assist.

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Happy to help! Let me know if I can assist.

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
^
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:51 pm

Just new on this forum so this is going to be my first post ;-)

Travelled several times to SA (with kids) and I love to do the actual kruger park with them. Visited many parks and did several safari's but (for me) Kruger is something special.

I prefer the self-drive option over the guided tours in the private parks because you can take your kids and don't have to leave them with a babysit. Bring some toys/books drinks/food and even the youngest one can enjoy himself. The self drive tour (nothing dangerous, good roads) also give you the opportunity to go where you want (and how long you want to stay somewhere). There is so much wildlife in Kruger you definitely will not be dissapointed.
Several camps have swimming pools and all have enough space to play football or any other game your kids like.
Check sanparks website directly for availabality (and the bonus is that it is so much cheaper than the private parks).
I could go on forever, but if you have specific questions just ask.

Ps: I see you want to include suncity. Personally I would skip it all together and spent all the time in Kruger. It's amazing.

Whatever you do, have fun
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rorornan
Just new on this forum so this is going to be my first post ;-)

Travelled several times to SA (with kids) and I love to do the actual kruger park with them. Visited many parks and did several safari's but (for me) Kruger is something special.

I prefer the self-drive option over the guided tours in the private parks because you can take your kids and don't have to leave them with a babysit. Bring some toys/books drinks/food and even the youngest one can enjoy himself. The self drive tour (nothing dangerous, good roads) also give you the opportunity to go where you want (and how long you want to stay somewhere). There is so much wildlife in Kruger you definitely will not be dissapointed.
Several camps have swimming pools and all have enough space to play football or any other game your kids like.
Check sanparks website directly for availabality (and the bonus is that it is so much cheaper than the private parks).
I could go on forever, but if you have specific questions just ask.

Ps: I see you want to include suncity. Personally I would skip it all together and spent all the time in Kruger. It's amazing.

Whatever you do, have fun
Welcome to FT ^

I am in SA for 7 days and have been advised that that 3-4 days is enough for Safari's. What else would you advise?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rorornan
There is so much wildlife in Kruger you definitely will not be disappointed.
There is, but a lot of it is easily overlooked if you are not an experienced game spotter.

The KNP can be tricky for those on their first safari. If you don't know the park well, don't know where to drive and when, your best bet is to stick to the busy south and rely on others. Game viewing at road blocks is not my idea of fun, though.

Johan
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:08 pm

I would say that in 3-4 days you scratch the surface ;-)
Last year we did South-North in 2 weeks (and still didn't cover the whole area).
See it as a Beautiful National park: Landscape is beautiful, great viewpoints, picnic spots, river views and as bonus you see 100+ wild animals a day. Driving is easy and you can plan your days as you please.
See sanparks.org/parks/kruger for more info.

Personally I would spent the whole week in Kruger, but nearby is the beautiful Blyde river canyon.

Cheers
Old Mar 23, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We are set on Madikwe game reserve now. We are in SA for only a week and it allows us easy access.

Can't wait.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your contribution.

Now need to reserve a hotel in JNB. Could you suggest a good 5*? Was thinking of the Four Seasons or African Pride Melrose Arch? We are only there for 2 days so wanted something central. The Melrose Arch looks better located but then it's for a special day so wanted something nice.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:24 pm

Hi onlysuites!

Another one to consider would be 54 on Bath, 75 rooms, lovely decor, consistently rated well, owned by Tsogo Sun, in Rosebank, attached to mall, and easy location for attractions.

Enjoy! Have a great trip!

Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi onlysuites!

Another one to consider would be 54 on Bath, 75 rooms, lovely decor, consistently rated well, owned by Tsogo Sun, in Rosebank, attached to mall, and easy location for attractions.

Enjoy! Have a great trip!

Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Thank you. We have one day spare in JNB on the way back. Any recommendations around there? I was thinking of CPT. I know its kind of far but if we get there at 1pm and leave next day same time would you say its worth the effort?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Thank you. We have one day spare in JNB on the way back. Any recommendations around there? I was thinking of CPT. I know its kind of far but if we get there at 1pm and leave next day same time would you say its worth the effort?
Anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.