Search

Safari with young kids

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SafariCraig
Private vehicles are typically $400-$600 per day per vehicle on top of the normal rates. What you get when you pay for a private vehicle is usually the afternoon game drive on the first day and the morning game drive on the second day. That would be "one day".

I have been to Mahale Mzuri, the Virgin Camp in Kenya. It is nice and in one of the best game viewing areas in the Mara ecosystem. It is on a private conservancy so no crowds. I have not been to Ulusaba but they conduct their game drives in the western sector of the Sabi Sands along with six other properties. I have been on safari in the same place where they drive but I have not stayed at the property.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
Cheers Craig. ^
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
I took my 7 y.o to Thanda. He loved every minute of it. We had private drivers and spotters and the staff looked after him when some adult time was needed. Wouldn't hesitate to go back.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guvner067
I took my 7 y.o to Thanda. He loved every minute of it. We had private drivers and spotters and the staff looked after him when some adult time was needed. Wouldn't hesitate to go back.
I am sure my 7yr old would love it its the 2yr old that I was worried about. Thoughts on that?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
I doubt a 2 y.o would be interested in a safari drive however if you do go to Thanda the staff will go out of their way to look after the young one whilst the rest of you head out.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guvner067
I doubt a 2 y.o would be interested in a safari drive however if you do go to Thanda the staff will go out of their way to look after the young one whilst the rest of you head out.
Looks like a nice resort.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Hi!

We took our son on his first safari when he was 5 and he remembers quite a bit of the trip. Finding the right lodge is the most important thing. Some lodges claim to be family-friendly but you need to dig a little deeper to ensure they truly are welcoming of children.

In addition to the Kenya recommendations above, you can also consider the malaria free reserves of South Africa. Kwandwe has been mentioned which would be a great choice. Also, Madikwe would be a good one too. We went to Jaci's Lodge in Madikwe for our son's first safari. Incredibly family friendly with a strong reputation on all other fronts (service, food, accommodation, guide knowledge etc).

Happy to help!

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne_AfricaDirectUSA
Hi!

We took our son on his first safari when he was 5 and he remembers quite a bit of the trip. Finding the right lodge is the most important thing. Some lodges claim to be family-friendly but you need to dig a little deeper to ensure they truly are welcoming of children.

In addition to the Kenya recommendations above, you can also consider the malaria free reserves of South Africa. Kwandwe has been mentioned which would be a great choice. Also, Madikwe would be a good one too. We went to Jaci's Lodge in Madikwe for our son's first safari. Incredibly family friendly with a strong reputation on all other fronts (service, food, accommodation, guide knowledge etc).

Happy to help!

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Jaci's looks awesome. Ok I think I have finalised on South Africa this time around. Would you know how much the flight to Jaci's costs? Can't find the information on their website.

They say its a 4hr drive. Recommended?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Could you kindly suggest any other Family friendly resorts in SA? Jaci's seems to be sold out for Feb 17 or do you think they might not have released the dates yet?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Could you kindly suggest any other Family friendly resorts in SA? Jaci's seems to be sold out for Feb 17 or do you think they might not have released the dates yet?
We are booked into Lukimbi which has a child's program and seems to be family oriented. We will be going two weeks from now I will be sure to report back here. http://www.lukimbi.com
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
We are booked into Lukimbi which has a child's program and seems to be family oriented. We will be going two weeks from now I will be sure to report back here. http://www.lukimbi.com
That looks nice too. Just out of interest is it best to book these direct or through OTA's? Or would you (Craig) be able to get better rates?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
We booked through an actual TA, but we just paid a lump sum for land arrangements that include time in cape town as well so no way to tell if we were getting a better deal or not.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Really starting to like Jaci's. ^
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Really starting to like Jaci's. ^
Yes, Jaci's is great. Very familiar with them if you'd like me to reach out on your behalf.

Other options to consider would be Madikwe Safari Lodge (also in Madikwe), Phinda Mountain Lodge (Phinda Private Game Reserve), Ngala Safari Lodge (Timbavati Private Game Reserve). Both Phinda and Ngala are in the AndBeyond collection and have their WILDchild programme. Very family friendly places! Just a few more ideas for you!

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne_AfricaDirectUSA
Yes, Jaci's is great. Very familiar with them if you'd like me to reach out on your behalf.

Other options to consider would be Madikwe Safari Lodge (also in Madikwe), Phinda Mountain Lodge (Phinda Private Game Reserve), Ngala Safari Lodge (Timbavati Private Game Reserve). Both Phinda and Ngala are in the AndBeyond collection and have their WILDchild programme. Very family friendly places! Just a few more ideas for you!

Best
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Perfect. Thank you
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: BA, SAA
Our kids have been going on safari in SA since before they could walk. We revisit every couple of years or so.

In Madikwe, they've stayed at Bush House, Jaci's and Thakadu. In both Bush House and Jaci's, we used babysitting services as they were very young. But they did enjoy the kid friendly activities at Jaci's including the child friendly game drives. We didn't go for a private vehicle as we didn't feel it was value and we knew we'd be back as they got older. Certainly by 7yo, they revelled in going on proper game drives and asked endless questions of the ranger so going to place which actively welcomes kids and has rangers which are used to handling their enthusiasm is essential.

We always drove to Madikwe, it's 4-5 hrs drive from Jo'burg, depending exactly where you're starting and if you're heading to the east or west of the reserve.

But really, the best option when they were young was going to reserves where we could self drive. We visited Pilanesberg frequently and drove ourselves around. At2yo though, they'd frequently just fall asleep. Pilanesberg and Madikwe work well together as you can drive to Madikwe first and learn how to spot and drive near the animals and then do it yourself at Pilanesberg on the return trip. Both are non-malarial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.