Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Kenya: new Visa Rules Requiring e-Visa Prior to Arrival 1 Sep 2015
Visa on arrival is no longer an option

Effective 01 September 2015, you may be denied boarding on your flight to Kenya or denied entry to Kenya if you do not have your printed copy of your e-visa with you. Visa on arrival is not available any longer. according to the Kenyan government.

How do I Apply
You need to:
  • Click register on www.ecitizen.go.ke.
  • Select Register as a Visitor.
  • Once Logged in, Select Deparment of Immigration services.
  • Select submit Appplication.
  • Select Kenyan Visa.
  • Select the type of Visa and read the Instructions Carefully.
  • Fill in the application form.
  • Pay Using visa card, Mastercard and other debit cards.
  • Await approval via email, then download and print the eVisa from your eCitizen account.
  • Present your printed eVisa to the immigration officer at the port of entry.
For e-visa you can go to http://evisa.go.ke/evisa.html, establish an account.

See full USA citizen requirements and "normal" visa app post #8.

Conditional, The traveler will need to hold travel documents as detailed below.

Kenya - Destination Passport

Important:

Visitors holding damaged passports and/or passport replacing documents will be refused entry.

Kenya - Destination Visa

Visas can be applied for by U.S. citizens at https://www.kenyaembassy.com/dcservi...isaonline.aspx . Effective from 1 September 2015, the visa on arrival facility will be fully replaced by e-visas.

Additional information:

Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least USD 500.-) and documents for their next destination.

Final authority for entry lies with border and immigration officers.

A valid "East African Tourist Visa" issued by Rwanda or Uganda is accepted provided having first entered the country that issued the visa. The visa is valid for 90 days and multiple entries/re-entries.

Asante sana to roadwarriorafrica for bringing the to everyone's attention. retitled the thread for the announced date (to and from IATA) this requirement is in effect now 1 Sep 2015).
Print Wikipost

New Visa Rules on Arrival for Kenya (effective 01 Sep 2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Originally Posted by mglvrug
I went into NBO on July 14 and got my visa on arrival with no question or problem.
No reason for there to have been questions or problems, visas on arrival are scheduled to stop as of 1st September.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I was there on 29 July and got a visa on arrival - but nobody mentioned the new rules. Just seen it today on the BA forum.

This will affect my travel as I usually go at last minute (eg call out now, get on overnight and be there tomorrow) unless I can get an open visa.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by antichef
I was there on 29 July and got a visa on arrival - but nobody mentioned the new rules. Just seen it today on the BA forum.

This will affect my travel as I usually go at last minute (eg call out now, get on overnight and be there tomorrow) unless I can get an open visa.
Some years I go to Kenya quite often and have always gone for a one year multi-entry visa. You can get them at the Nyayo House for around $100 unless they have a new price starting in September. It's probably best to have a local sort it out for you the first time.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:02 am

Visa is valid for 3 months from date of issue, so you can probably keep one ready at all times. That is what I intend to do as NBO is an important transit point for me en route to/from our offices in Somalia and Uganda.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:24 am

Stimpy's advice is good and reminds me thst I originally considered this, but did not as the visa on arrival was easy and the client pays. They dont pay if not used, so might just hold off unless they agree. They argue over £30 but not over flights and a 48 hour round trip with the clock running!

Just rang them and they can do a multiple entry visa in London up to the end of August in person but it requires collection two days later. I dont want to do London twice next week for it though!
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:55 pm

Has anyone managed to use the website successfully? My daughter and a group of University friends have all tried and failed with a weird web service error which happened consistently on multiple PCs and Browsers.

She ended up applying in person at the High Commission in London which took two days - fortunately we live in London so the two trips wasn't a problem though I wasn't happy that she had to give in her passport the week before our family trip to Prague.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:01 pm

I signed up ok and got the confirmatory email.

Have not yet uploaded the scans of photos.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Platinum
I went through the visa application last week and then put it "on hold" using the same and continue later option. Well, that didn't work. It was not a browser issue but rather than the functionality has not been turned on. I wrote to the support email and heard back in a day that you must start and complete the visa in one go: The save and continue later functionality is not an option.

Has anyone successfully entered the visa application and received the e-visa? I'm leaning toward applying at the Embassy in DC given the unproven electronic system. I'm sure they will get it worked out but the timing is key.

Who is actually running it for the government? The visa section is just a portion of a much larger system. Looks impressive.

Thank you.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:23 pm

I signed up ok and got the confirmatory email.

Have not yet uploaded the scans of photos.
Were you able to resume your application?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:13 am

Have not yet got back to the office where I have the required items. Just have the signed in and verified account account.

I have logged back in today and it takes me back in to the same page where I have to upload the photo.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by AmynM
Has anyone successfully entered the visa application and received the e-visa?
Yes. Application took about 10 minutes to fill up online (mainly the registration part which is a one-time thing) and then got an email a few hours later that the visa was issued and available to download. Couldn't have been easier.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:45 am

Thats reassuring, thanks.

If it is as quick as that, like the US ESTA, then it wont be a problem for me. If it takes a few days then it will!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I forgot to mention the other cool thing about the one year multi-entry visa. As long as you can exchange some simple pleasantries in Swahili, I've always gotten away with using the Kenya citizen queue at immigration with this visa. It's saved me a lot of time. YMMV.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:35 am

Immigration lines

Originally Posted by stimpy
I forgot to mention the other cool thing about the one year multi-entry visa. As long as you can exchange some simple pleasantries in Swahili, I've always gotten away with using the Kenya citizen queue at immigration with this visa. It's saved me a lot of time. YMMV.
I never recall being in a long line but it may just be the timing of my flights and I always rush off the aircraft as a matter of habit. Good to know I may want to walk over to the other line. I'm guessing officers can always send you back so there is some risk, eh?

Anyone know which terminal the SN flight uses? Do they have a lounge at the terminal?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:34 am

Multiple Entry Visas

Originally Posted by stimpy
With the online application there isn't an option for a one year visa. The only options I see are for a Single Entry Visa or a Transit Visa.

Anyone manage to apply for a multiple entry one year visa with the new online application? Of course this is what I was trying to get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.