Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: B747-437B
Kenya: new Visa Rules Requiring e-Visa Prior to Arrival 1 Sep 2015
Visa on arrival is no longer an option

Effective 01 September 2015, you may be denied boarding on your flight to Kenya or denied entry to Kenya if you do not have your printed copy of your e-visa with you. Visa on arrival is not available any longer. according to the Kenyan government.

How do I Apply
You need to:
  • Click register on www.ecitizen.go.ke.
  • Select Register as a Visitor.
  • Once Logged in, Select Deparment of Immigration services.
  • Select submit Appplication.
  • Select Kenyan Visa.
  • Select the type of Visa and read the Instructions Carefully.
  • Fill in the application form.
  • Pay Using visa card, Mastercard and other debit cards.
  • Await approval via email, then download and print the eVisa from your eCitizen account.
  • Present your printed eVisa to the immigration officer at the port of entry.
For e-visa you can go to http://evisa.go.ke/evisa.html, establish an account.

See full USA citizen requirements and "normal" visa app post #8.

Conditional, The traveler will need to hold travel documents as detailed below.

Kenya - Destination Passport

Important:

Visitors holding damaged passports and/or passport replacing documents will be refused entry.

Kenya - Destination Visa

Visas can be applied for by U.S. citizens at https://www.kenyaembassy.com/dcservi...isaonline.aspx . Effective from 1 September 2015, the visa on arrival facility will be fully replaced by e-visas.

Additional information:

Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least USD 500.-) and documents for their next destination.

Final authority for entry lies with border and immigration officers.

A valid "East African Tourist Visa" issued by Rwanda or Uganda is accepted provided having first entered the country that issued the visa. The visa is valid for 90 days and multiple entries/re-entries.

Asante sana to roadwarriorafrica for bringing the to everyone's attention. retitled the thread for the announced date (to and from IATA) this requirement is in effect now 1 Sep 2015).
Print Wikipost

New Visa Rules on Arrival for Kenya (effective 01 Sep 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Exclamation New Visa Rules on Arrival for Kenya (effective 01 Sep 2015

According to reports, including Kenyan government ones, visitors to Kenya will no longer be able to get a visa on arrival. Instead they must apply on line before they travel, and the process is heralded to take 2 days (most pundits are saying 2 weeks).

An excellent article by Wolfgang who is a fabulous travel writer of the region, explains it in more detail.

https://wolfganghthome.wordpress.com...hes-new-rules/

Lets see how airlines read these rules, and how many travellers will be affected by these rules. If they work, it would eliminate having to complete forms on arrival, and lengthy queues.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:05 am

Nice share.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:22 am

The US state department has no information about this on its website. Still says visas available on arrival.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sabasi
The US state department has no information about this on its website. Still says visas available on arrival.
There will be a grace period at the moment till 31 August 2015, after which date it will be 100% enforced. But like all things in Kenya, those dates I am sure are quite flexible.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I wonder how it will affect the East Africa tourist visa that is currently good for Kenya, Uganda, and Rwanda? Then isn't Tanzania supposed to finally be joining that as well? If they have to keep issuing those on arrival then it's kind of irrelevant if the Kenya only visa is online pre-arrival, except the cost as if I recall the Kenya only visa is cheaper than the East Africa tourist visa.

Having said that, if this online thing is done in a similar way to some other countries with e-Visa I'd actually welcome it with open arms. My Turkish e-Visa is just a paper printed from my PC, so the only thing I have inside my passport is just entry and exit stamps, I think several other e-Visa countries do that as well. I think visas are cool for travel memories but I always hate giving up a full page of my passport for one. At least Kenya had the good sense to put both arrival and departure stamps on top of the visa but many don't, effectively taking up a page and a half once all is said and done.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
There will be a grace period at the moment till 31 August 2015, after which date it will be 100% enforced. But like all things in Kenya, those dates I am sure are quite flexible.
I already understood that. But the US website should have the new requirements listed already, if they actually exist.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:25 pm

No one should anticipate Tanzania's joining the east Africa tourist visa scheme for the foreseeable future.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
US citizens, if you are not applying for e-visa and want a regular visa, use Link. - requirements are listed below for completeness.

The requirements and a step-by-step process are detailed on the site.

Kenya visa requirements:

New requirements for Kenya visas as of 1 September 2015, Kenya Embassy, Washington DC

For American citizens (but note links re: requirements for other nationalities links)

Online Application for a Kenyan Visa

Note:
Applicant's using Mozilla firefox web browser may get a blank pdf (application form) after submitting the online application.
This is caused by a new feature introduced in the new version of firefox called "built-in PDF viewer". To avoid this we suggest applicants use internet explorer ,Google chrome or another browser when completing the application .

To learn more visit :
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...another-viewer
  • [B]Application for all Visa services should be completed online.
  • [B]Applicants must complete one application per person to receive a Unique Confirmation Number..
  • [B]After completion, please download, print and sign the application before mailing it to the Embassy of The Republic of Kenya, Washington, D.C.
  • [B]Applications which are not filled online will be returned unprocessed.
  • After reading the Requirements below, please follow the "Continue with Online Application" link to complete the online application form.
Nationals (Passport holders) of the following countries require visas to enter Kenya click for details

Nationals of following Countries, Classes and Categories Of Persons shall have their visa applications referred to the Director of Immigration Services, Nairobi for approval. click for details

Nationals (Passport holders) of the following countries do not require visas to enter Kenya click for details

Visa Requirements
  1. Passport( Not photocopy ) which is valid for at least six(6) months -To be submitted along with the application form.
  2. Completed (Filled in) Application form duly signed.
  3. Copy of flight Itinerary / Letter from travel agent on company letterhead confirming booking.
  4. Two Passport size photos, 2 inches by 2 inches (NB: Computer generated pictures are not acceptable)
  5. Visa Fees: (Money order / Cashier's Cheque Only Payable to Embassy of The Republic of Kenya)
  • US$50.00 For Single Entry (Tourist/Visitor/Business),
  • US$100.00 For Multiple Entries (Tourist/Visitor/Business),
  • US$20.00 For Single Transit of not more than 3 days for travelers on stopovers in Kenya while proceeding to other destinations
  • US$100.00 East Africa,
  • Diplomatic, Official, Service and Courtesy visas will continue to be issued Gratis .
. 6. A self-addressed stamped return courier envelope for Fedex, Express Mail, Certified Mail or Priority Mail with delivery confirmation (NB: UPS, Metered stamps and Regular mail envelopes are not acceptable).[/LIST]
PLEASE NOTE: (in USA) ONLY MONEY ORDERS/CASHIERS CHEQUES PAYABLE TO THE EMBASSY OF THE REPUBLIC OF KENYA ARE ACCEPTED. NO CASH OR PERSONAL CHEQUES ,
  • No Visa is required for persons on direct Transit and will not leaving the airport,
  • A single entry Visa would allow re-entry to Kenya from any of the following East African Countries (Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda)
  • Visas are usually valid for six months from the issuance date
  • Visas are issued within 14 (Fourteen) business days from date of receipt of the application being sent by mail and courier services
  • Those travelling to Kenya with their pets must obtain pet permits
  • Holders of Kenya visitor/Business/tourist visa cannot engage in any form of employment whether paid or unpaid
  • Applicants who intend to conduct temporary business, trade or profession must apply for a special pass from the Director of Immigration Services in Nairobi
  • Applicants seeking to undertake Internship/placement or academic research should liaise with their host organizations, institutions or companies to make applications for the necessary pass to the Director of Immigration Services in Nairobi prior to their engagements. .
NB: Any incomplete application will be returned.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 1, 2015 at 3:58 pm Reason: Add
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm glad they're giving grace until September 1 because the website page that shows "Application for Kenyan Visa, Department of Immigration" merely says "Coming soon!"
https://www.ecitizen.go.ke/service.html
No indication as to when the online application will actually go live.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:16 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by JDiver

The page for an e-visa application is not ready at this time. Link., nor is there a way yet to register as a visitor.
Going to the link helpfully posted by JDiver, top right under 'register' you can then choose 'visitors/create an account', which takes you to a form to complete. I haven't (no immediate plans for NBO) but does look like it's at least up and running.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Going to the link helpfully posted by JDiver, top right under 'register' you can then choose 'visitors/create an account', which takes you to a form to complete. I haven't (no immediate plans for NBO) but does look like it's at least up and running.
All the application part works. BUT the payment part does not work and so you cannot actually yet lodge an online Visa application.

I know as I am due to arrive in NBO on 17th July!!!!!

Luckilly they have now provided the grace period to 31st Aug, and so I will just get on arrival.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:21 pm

The probable death or further delay of nonstop or direct service to the US.....
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL MM, AS Gold, Marriott Plat, SPG, ICH
bumping this--has anyone had any experience going into NBO since the new rules went into effect earlier this month? Any insights into how well the e-visa program is working, and whether the 8/31/15 expiration of on-arrival visas is going to stick? (I ask because I land at NBO on 8/29--if there's any chance that on-demand visas will go away early, I definitely want to get the e-visa ahead of time.)

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

I've had a couple of work colleagues who have applied and been successful. Not sure of the 31 Aug date will be reinforced.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chuppi
bumping this--has anyone had any experience going into NBO since the new rules went into effect earlier this month? Any insights into how well the e-visa program is working, and whether the 8/31/15 expiration of on-arrival visas is going to stick? (I ask because I land at NBO on 8/29--if there's any chance that on-demand visas will go away early, I definitely want to get the e-visa ahead of time.)

Thanks

I went into NBO on July 14 and got my visa on arrival with no question or problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.