Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa: ACSA to enforce hand luggage regulations!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa: ACSA to enforce hand luggage regulations!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I've yet to see any signs of enforcement by ACSA whatsoever.

Johan
Thanks for the quick reply.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: delta skymiles, BAEC
My question is about enforcement of hand baggage weight rules when flying on a De Havilland DHC -8-400 Dash.

I'll be flying SAA from CPT-HDS and then HDS-JNB.

Are the hand baggage weight rules more strictly enforced for this smaller plane?

My rollaboard is within the size limits posted on the SAA website. But the SAA weight limit is given as 8 kg. When packed, mine is closer to 10.5 kgs.

Ive read previous posts that indicate enforcement is spotty. I know from experience that a lot of these situations depend on the individual person working at the airport that day.

but I was just wondering if enforcement is likely to be more strictly observed on this smaller plane.

(Apologies if I should have posted this on SAA forum but I just thought I'd continue using this current thread.)

Thank you.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
All very interesting, as couple of annual holiday travellers to SA. We have small carry-ons, well within anyone's size limits, but they can get quite heavy at times (iPad, Kindle, sweater, jacket, duty free cigs/bottles).

I am inspired to do a "practice pack" and see what the answer might be!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: delta skymiles, BAEC
T8191.... We've traveled with only small carry ons for years. For boarding flights, we wear our heaviest shoes, sweaters, etc., in case gate agent decides to weigh the bags even though they're pretty small...always under airline guidelines. We carry tablets separate in our "personal item". We throw away old underwear, t-shirts, etc., to make room for new souvenirs. You also have to be aware off which airlines allow the additional "personal item." Packing small becomes a fun challenge....almost an art form. And it gives you a lot of flexibility in case you have to change flights last minute which has happened with weather/mechanical delays.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:44 pm

Apologies for bumping an old thread but I wonder if anyone has any recent experience with this? Not to worried with the international legs. We have a couple of domestic flights on BA JNB-PLZ and PLZ-CPT. Our carry ons fit in the sizers but they are surely overweight (2 month trip)
Old May 11, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
My info is dated, October and November 2016. We had no problem with each having a backpack pretty stuffed and another laptop sized bag.

Hopefully you will get some newer info then mine.
2RETIREDTRAVELERS likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: Virgin, Krisflyer, IHG
Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
Apologies for bumping an old thread but I wonder if anyone has any recent experience with this? Not to worried with the international legs. We have a couple of domestic flights on BA JNB-PLZ and PLZ-CPT. Our carry ons fit in the sizers but they are surely overweight (2 month trip)
If you've travelled already - how did you fair with the carry on limits? Am doing similar flight sin a few months and with camera gear I'm going to be in trouble (in theory!).
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:31 am

We are not traveling untill next month. We are most likely going to have to check a bag
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: Virgin, Krisflyer, IHG
Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
We are not traveling untill next month. We are most likely going to have to check a bag
You'll be a month or so ahead of me

Hopefully perhaps having booked Club fares may see some leniency or perhaps overlooked so to speak. Be interesting to see how we go on SAA from CPT to JNB in Business also.

Mind you carry on is the least of my worries - think we'll have 150kg of checked luggage between two of us (sporting gear)!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Experience last month on both BA (Comair) and SAA (mainline and Airlink) was that my hand luggage was not checked (for size or weight) at any stage. My backpack is within size limits but overweight at about 9kg and I also had a laptop satchel.
2RETIREDTRAVELERS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.