Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa: ACSA to enforce hand luggage regulations!

Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Joy.

From
http://umhambi.blogspot.com/2015/01/...gulations.html

Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) will roll out a campaign from 02 Feb 2015 at all of its nine airports in South Africa to enforce hand luggage regulations. According to ACSA, the campaign will inform and educate passengers about the prescribed restrictions and the impact on travellers. The enforcement of this programme will be led by airlines operating at ACSA airports and supported by the airport authority.

The current allowance is:

One (1) bag plus one slimline laptop bag per economy class passenger
Two (2) bags plus slimline laptop bag per business/first class passenger
No bag should exceed these dimensions: 56cm + 36cm + 23cm (total dimensions of 115cm)
Weight limit per bag: 7kg
Passengers who exceed the hand baggage limits will be subject to the specific airlines excess baggage rules

Note: The reference to a slimline laptop bag above refers to the bag size and thickness specifically designed to carry a laptop and charger, and does not include bags capable of carrying other items such as documents and clothes.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Joy.

From
http://umhambi.blogspot.com/2015/01/...gulations.html
... Passengers who exceed the hand baggage limits will be subject to the specific airline’s excess baggage rules ...
So presumably pax on airlines with more generous allowances - think BA in F or J - will just have the airline's restriction. I wonder how well this will be enforced at check in/security.

This seems to be directed at airlines with low limits such as SA and VS.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Johan
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Johan
Indeed. Though I'd call it "another" recipe for "another" disaster.

They tried this in the US at various points in time and places - TSA or it's predecessors installed various guides on XRay machines meant to restrict the size and shape of hand carried baggage. Problem was if there was more than one airline serviced by the checkpoint, who's rules / which airline's restrictions won out and/or controlled. And, without opening the whole "TSA _____" can o' worms, why do you have security people enforcing rules completely unrelated to security. As a result, these things gradually fell by the wayside and now, you see more and more sizers at the gate entrance.

It's bad enough in SA with all the various full-employment project people working (I'm looking at you, folks with the scale at the beginning of the check in queue) that now they add this new enforcement regime. Are the going to memorize every airlines/alliance's various tiers and allowances. Doubt it.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC/SAA VOYAGER
The idea is good one, doing it correct will be a challenge. People have been allowed the "free for all" way too long and if airlines can manage this it MIGHT - big MIGHT lead to something good. A while ago on BA/Comair I had the drama of a guy allowed to bring a massive catering bag of those orange chips as carry on!!!! I decided to ask if he will do the catering for the flight, neither him nor my wife thought it was funny!!!!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingRhino
if airlines can manage this it MIGHT - big MIGHT lead to something good.
The airlines SHOULD manage it, and enforce whatever rules they see fit in a consistent way.

Having ACSA appoint itself enforcer cannot possibly lead to anything good. If they have resources to spare, they should consider employing them to fight checked luggage theft, rid the terminals of touts, and other useful things.

Johan
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Having ACSA appoint itself enforcer cannot possibly lead to anything good.

Johan
+1

The airlines SHOULD manage it, and enforce whatever rules they see fit in a consistent way.
Johan
+/- 0
Given the inconsistency I've seen at the gate so many times. I don't think the airline staff (or their contract staff) could ever do it right. Frankly, it's the flight crews that seem to have the best handle on things, IMHO.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Roger
So presumably pax on airlines with more generous allowances - think BA in F or J - will just have the airline's restriction. I wonder how well this will be enforced at check in/security.

This seems to be directed at airlines with low limits such as SA and VS.
Ran into this at AKL where I was told that even though I was a premium Pax I wasn't allowed to bring my bag. Went back to the NZ rep and they walked me through telling the bag police to pretty much shove off. My bag was a laptop backpack that was .5kg over the weight limit..
Cheers
Howie
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I see signs have appeared all over the ORT check-in area admonishing pax to abide by the dimension restrictions. Didn't read them too carefully though. There are also huge decals on the floor conveying the same message.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recipe for disaster, I suspect. Read somewhere the other day that SA had managed to "negotiate" a 1 kg higher limit for its J pax, i.e. 8 kg instead of 7. Pax were also warned to expect long queues and chaos, especially those traveling with airlines that charge for checked bags.

Johan
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Recipe for disaster, I suspect.
I'll find out shortly.

I'll be on BA CPT-LHR, for which BA's published allowance is one cabin bag max 23 kg plus one personal bag with no stated maximum weight.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

The same page shows the Comair limit of 7kg plus 1 small handbag or slimline
laptop bag.

I predict pandemonium, especially for pax transferring from BA mainline to Comair at JNB.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:05 am

Here's what is certain:

1. Long queues
2. Confusion
3. Chaos

Even if a good idea, this is the wrong place and the wrong people to execute it.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by DBCme
Here's what is certain:

1. Long queues
2. Confusion
3. Chaos

Even if a good idea, this is the wrong place and the wrong people to execute it.
Agreed, should be kept in the hand of each airline at the checkin desks.

I have always found each airline at JNB and CPT do a fairly good job at enforcing their rules. CPT a lot more vigorous than JNB, but still adhering to the rules.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:45 am

They had a go at this during the World Cup, remember. Predictably it led to all the problems we are expecting this time round. I reported some of my experiences in this post.

I'll find out shortly.

I'll be on BA CPT-LHR, for which BA's published allowance is one cabin bag max 23 kg plus one personal bag with no stated maximum weight.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

The same page shows the Comair limit of 7kg plus 1 small handbag or slimline
laptop bag.

I predict pandemonium, especially for pax transferring from BA mainline to Comair at JNB.
I was under the impression that if you are flying LHR/JNB/CPT on BA/MN you still have to abide by the Comair rules for the domestic leg? I'm pretty sure my booking has always said that. (Which surprised me because I used to think that on a single ticket the rules of the longest sector applied to all sectors.)
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:07 am

This is in the latest SA Voyager newsletter:
SAA would like to advise our valued customers that hand luggage regulations as determined by the South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA) and supported by the airport authority in Johannesburg will be enforced from 2 February 2015.
I had no idea that hand luggage regulations were determined by the SACAA! Is this still a hangover from WC2010 when all sorts of laws were passed to ensure that things would work smoothly for the duration of the tournament?

It goes on to say:
Although other airline customers may take only 7kg on board as hand luggage, SAA has an exemption from SACAA. Allowing our customers up to 8kg.

However, the number of pieces and sizes must be adhered to. No bag should exceed 56cm x 36cm x 23cm (total dimensions of 115cm) or weigh more than 8kg per bag.
Surely every airline will now ask for the same exemption and the SACAA would have to grant it? Wouldn't they all want the same "exemption" for their pax?

Then there's the detail:
Number of bags allowed are as follows:

Economy-class customers are allowed one bag plus one slimline laptop bag.

Business-class customers are allowed two bags plus one slimline laptop bag.

Slimline laptop bags must be of a size and thickness specifically designed to carry a laptop and charger. Handbags are considered part of a customer's wardrobe and not as hand baggage.

Baggage capable of carrying other items such as documents and clothes can be considered as cabin baggage if within the allowance.

Kindly ensure that your hand luggage is as per the above. If hand luggage does not comply, you will be referred back to the check-in counters to check the baggage in as hold baggage. Where applicable, SAA excess baggage fees will be charged.

We expect that during the initial implementation period, travellers might experience some delays in the check-in and security processes at all airports due to congestion. It is advisable that travellers arrive in good time for their flights as the first few weeks may see the process extended due to every piece of baggage (checked and carry-on) requiring weighing and checking prior to boarding.
Not sure if this part is SA specific or part of the SACAA rules. "Referred back to check-in counters" makes it sound like a check before security whereas "weighing and checking prior to boarding" sounds like it's at the embarkation. Will they have both - or at least the option of both?

Anyway, time to get me a (very capacious) man bag. When flying J with that plus 2x 7kg plus a laptop bag I should be able to cope with almost all contingencies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.