Wiki Posts
Search

Uganda tour costs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot,AA,SAA, UA
Uganda tour costs

I need a realty check before things start getting unpleasant!! I booked a 10 night to trip to Uganda with a very high end company as a solo traveler in September. My contact in South Africa is no longer with the company. My new contact sent me my itinerary yesterday with the amount the company is paying for services and hotels. The difference of their cost and what they are charging me (already paid for January trip) is about $2000!

I find that excessive. Aren't commissions usually about 10%? (This is 26%) Since I now know their secret I have offered to split the difference with them. Haven't heard back yet. They even up charged me the hotel they own in Bwindi!

I'm almost wishing they'd refund all and I'd start over next year. This trip of a lifetime is becoming unduly sad

Let me hear your thoughts
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
If my math is correct, you are paying over $800 a day in Uganda?
That is simply absurd.
Refund and find a different company.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Agree with rankourabu. I'll fly down to EBB and show you around for only $700/day.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Haha!

All of a sudden this company has a US office. Am still negotiating for refund. Trying to train for the hike to see the gorillas. Hope I don't have to get hauled up by the porters. Also trying to negotiate transfers rather than 1 car and driver the whole time. I was told that these don't have transfer services like in other safari venues and this is the only alternative. But he'll be sleeping on days I have other activities!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
When I did Uganda, I booked with a TA in Kampala. It was about half the cost of a group tour by a company based in the US. I'm not sure the one I used exists any more. There were two of us and we had a car and driver. I don't remember how much and it was several years.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:50 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by kimwhits
All of a sudden this company has a US office. Am still negotiating for refund. Trying to train for the hike to see the gorillas. Hope I don't have to get hauled up by the porters. Also trying to negotiate transfers rather than 1 car and driver the whole time. I was told that these don't have transfer services like in other safari venues and this is the only alternative. But he'll be sleeping on days I have other activities!
Did that $2k include the gorilla permit fee? Because that is $600 right there. Then the use of a 4x4 to get up to the park itself.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:03 am
Original Poster

No. The gorilla fee was about the only thing they didn't take the 26% commission on!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:55 pm

The company name?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:20 pm

With Primate Lodge, Kyambura & Gorilla Forest Camp into the mix - definitely a beautiful but yes ... pricey option. But at the same time - let's not forget that some of these Lodges cost USD 550.00 - 600.00 Per Night for a Single Traveller. When we then start adding Park Fees (USD 40.00 / 24 Hrs), Flights (Entebbe-Kasese-Bwindi-Entebbe costs USD 1,000.00+ Per Person), Transfers (Transfer Kihihi Airstrip to Gorilla Forest Camp costs USD 175.00 One Way) etc., prices will indeed skyrocket for a Single Traveller. And please let's also not forget - one will still need to add a Vehicle Cost for your Game Drives at Kyambura, Boat Cruise on Kazinga Channel etc. Am not trying to defend anyone, Kimwiths ... just trying to shed some light.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:55 am

It's either a 26 percent markup or it isn't. Doesn't matter what the exact itinerary is.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

I'm shocked. They agreed to refund half the commission to make me happy. I'm not going to mention the company because they were accommodating to my concerns. And yes these are high end places. I deserve it after all my hard work

I find it interesting that most high end adventure travel companies never give you an exact cost for each item in your trip. They bundle so you can't gasp that you are paying someone $200 to walk you from international to domestic. Also even Mountain Sobek, Geo expeditions, and Wilder.ness travel all contract with local tour companies which are probably only getting half the money we gave the original company. But most of us worry about giving money to an unknown company in Africa. Having a US company gives us someone to complain to when things don't right, like when I arrived in Accra the same time as a big conference and they couldn't find my reservation. One call to San Francisco and all was taken care of.

Ill let everyone know if I made it up the volcano!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

And Dederick. How did you know where I was staying? I didn't mention in my post!! Did I send you the itinerary or do you work for the company??
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:04 pm

I highly doubt the local subcontractors are getting even half of what westerners pay for safaris in Uganda.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by kimwhits
And Dederick. How did you know where I was staying? I didn't mention in my post!! Did I send you the itinerary or do you work for the company??
Apologies ... no - I do not work for the company (as far as I know) - but you had mentioned the properties in one of your previous posts ?

'Yes. I have also lived in Africa and have driven over enough potholes to last a lifetime. I have firmed up reservation. 3 nights primate lodge, 3 night Kyambura, and 4 nights Gorilla Forest Lodge. Have a private driver. It is amazing. My trip in single rooms with permits and flights less than quoted price from reputable Berkeley company for exact same trip with a group. Since I like my down time or like to spend a long time photographing I find group trips difficult. And these travel sites tend to contract with local companies anyway'.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Sabasi
It's either a 26 percent markup or it isn't. Doesn't matter what the exact itinerary is.
Thanks Sabasi - I appreciate your 'subtle' reply. I was replying to the per night rates as mention by other posters above. Always appreciate your valuable contributions though ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.