Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Headed to Timbavati - need Lodging ideas east of Jo'berg

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Headed to Timbavati - need Lodging ideas east of Jo'berg

I'm taking a group of 5 to Timbavati in July. In the past, I've stayed at a friend's house in Jo'berg while friends stayed at a hotel in Fourways and then done the entire trip the next day. Same plan on return before flying out of JNB.

Feedback is that the Jo'berg stay felt like a waste, so I'm thinking this trip, I will leave Tambo and drive east toward Timbavati a few hours. That way the next day trip is shorter, allowing for more time to stop for photos near the Drakensberg Escarpment, etc.

I would appreciate ideas for places to stay along that route (JNB to Hoedspruit) that are only a few hours from Tambo. Probably want cost less than $100/per person and, of course, want clean and safe.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:52 pm

Dullstroom sounds like it ticks your boxes; breaks up yr drive perfectly, various accommodation options, nice little town
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll second that.

Note that Dullstroom is not exactly the warmest place in SA in July, it lies at an altitude of about 2,100 m a.s.l.

Johan
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. I'm checking out a few lodges in Dullstrom on TripAdvisor. Looks like there are several options.
Old May 12, 2013, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Dulstroom is a reasonable option, but I'm thinking that might be a bit further than I should drive after a trans-Atlantic flight. Does anyone have experience with Witbank? btw, I recall Dullstroom from a prior trip. We had breakfast (savory pancakes) at Harries, a MUST stop for a great meal.
Old May 13, 2013, 7:58 am

The coal power station is considered a tourist attraction. If that was my option, I would stay in Johburg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.