Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Is it hard for a US citizen to move to SA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Club

Pretty straightforward question,

Is it difficult for a US Citizen to move to South Africa and get South African citizenship?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:04 am

Without any family ties, the SA citizenship process takes at least 8-10 years.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:21 pm

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Question

Why would you want to become a SA citizen?

Not that there is anything wrong with South Afican's!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by InTokyo
Why would you want to become a SA citizen?

Not that there is anything wrong with South Afican's!
I have some friends who have extended the opportunity to have a nice job there.

Do I need to be a citizen to get a job there?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:54 pm

No, but the process is quite rigerous.

I am looking at trying to make a move myself but proving difficult. If you can get an investor visa, I think R3mm then that is the easiest way. Otherwise the company looking to hire you need to prove they cannot domestically source the skills (usually this is done through hiring you, then tailoring the role description for you). You would then qualify for a work visa which would be tied to your job - the visa would give you permission to stay as long as you remain employed. As this can only be arranged once there, you'd have gain employment on a tourist visa (not allowed) so you would have to leave and re-enter the country once you have the job/work visa. Whether this can be arranged before coming I am not sure, but would guess so. It is a process best put out to a lawyer was my conclusion due to lack of information and a very lengthy process...

You have to judge depending on the location whether it is worth it or not.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I know a German who got a work visa/permit pretty easily, but he was pretty high up in management of a large SA company.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Intra-company transfers of managers that involve re-assignment to South Africa is indeed relatively easy to pull-off and works more reliably than importing new hires from abroad.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
Pretty straightforward question,

Is it difficult for a US Citizen to move to South Africa and get South African citizenship?
I would rather get a non-immigrant Visa and keep your US passport. Because of corruption and incompetence, the South African passport is not worth very much anymore. More and more countries are tightening visa requirements for South African passport holders. And from practical experience, for some reason all my travels on my South African passport always included extra scrutiny from security/immigration/customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.