Wiki Posts
Search

Better to use US based or SA Based TA to plan trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Better to use US based or SA Based TA to plan trip

For those of you who have traveled to Southern Africa in the last several years, did you use a US based or a SA based travel agency. .and what were your considerations?

I have planned a lot of Asian and European travel independently and never used a travel agent, but feel that Africa is bit more daunting, with more choices, and more on the ground concerns with safety, health, and cost and lots of transfers.

Im not necessarily looking for a specific agency to work with, just what made you decide to go local or use a US based service, espcecially when it is easy to work with anyone anywhere.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I travel to southern Africa very regularly, know exactly where I want to go and have often been there before, I usually do it all myself.

On those occasions where I feel I need expert help, I use a local TA in JNB. The agency is specialized in safaris/game viewing/birding/personal guiding, is very professional, and I know the guy who runs it personally. I therefore know that I will get exactly what I want at a good price.

Johan
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:15 pm

While I agree with the thinking of Johan, I have a slightly different take on your question and thus a slightly different response.

For someone who's traveled and has experience with "Africa" (and I know that term is much too broad) on a personal and/or professional basis, selecting and working with a "local" (e.g. in Africa) travel agent is a good idea. You would already know some of the general things and have some general ideas about what you want/need and are tapping into the local's experience and network to get you what you want. While I've never met Johan, based on his reply, that's exactly what he's doing.

But, in your case you don't have that experience with Africa. While you're certainly a seasoned traveler, you also know (or feel) that Africa is more daunting. I'd tend to agree that Africa can be "daunting" and certainly agree there are numerous choices and other issues associated with travel to Africa.

In your case my advice would be to go with a US-based travel agent who you comfortably feel specializes in Africa. Much like one would consult a number of professionals for specific work on one's home, I'd recommend working with a number to see what they're offering and advising, asking questions of one based on ideas/information provided by the other, etc.

Not to sound xenophobic, but you'll have the benefit of an American's perspective on the experience. Much the same way I'd want to talk to an American travel agent or even you who's experienced in say, China, about what it's like. I'd appreciate a "you know how in America, you do/don't do XXX, or would want to go to YYY or never go to YYY, well it's that way or not that way in China...." If you're working with an agent who has true experience in the region, you'll be getting that type of advice and helping you make good choices.

Last edited by jsnydcsa; Mar 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Was in Southern Africa last May. Completely independent travel. Rented a car and drove from Cape Town to and through Namibia. Flew to Jo'berg and then drove to Swaziland. Both South Africa and Namibia are easy places to travel. I'd say as easy as Europe. Cape Town is filled with police and tourist police. We didn't go to Jo'burg or any other major city in South Africa. I wouldn't walk around after dark and I'd check with the hotel before going to any non-tourist area. I really did feel safe. (I'm a 65 year old female.)

My bias is to local travel agents. My experience has been that it works out to be about 50% of the cost for the same trip as with a US agent.

So, would you rather work with someone who may have never been where you are traveling or work with someone who is on the ground in the area where you are going and can make real recommendations? I've found that even the big tour companies, often the person you are working with has never been to the country and is relying on an incountry agent for info.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by manneca
So, would you rather work with someone who may have never been where you are traveling or work with someone who is on the ground in the area where you are going and can make real recommendations? I've found that even the big tour companies, often the person you are working with has never been to the country and is relying on an incountry agent for info.
That's exactly the advice I mentioned above/caveat to choosing a US based agent v. a local.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=jsnydcsa;18259380] I have a slightly different take on your question and thus a slightly different response.

Not to sound xenophobic, but you'll have the benefit of an American's perspective on the experience. Much the same way I'd want to talk to an American travel agent QUOTE]

Thanks very much for your thoughtful responses. Ive been debating about how to proceed this since I typically dont use travel agents, especially US based since you pay additional middlemen for the same services. Im a little concerned about the benefits of an American's perspective on travel experiences, since Id like to feel that Im not the "typical" American traveler or even the typical safari traveler. It would seem that if I am looking to make sure I have the same comforts and experiences as home, I havent fulfilled what travel is supposed to be for.

Based on all that has been posted, Im definitely leaning towards going with a SA based agency - Im looking for a mix of city both Capetown and Joburg with an emphasis on historical sites, victoria falls, with a few days of safari. If you have recommendations, please advise.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Hi,

I have always used a great US based "safari" travel agent. I travel the world for business and set up my own travel, but I rely on an expert for my family trips to Africa. The TA travels to SA, and Southern Africa a couple of times a year (and has been doing it for +20 years), he knows most/many camps, sites, areas and makes great reccomendations so my trip, fits the way my family likes to travel. Yes, we are adventurious, but traveling with family on a "once in a life time" trip takes some planning. FYI we are on our third "once in a lifetime" trip. I have never met this TA, he lives on the other US coast, we do everything by email, with many questions asked and answered back and forth.

I would also reccomend doing as much research on your own on line as possible, I know can be confusing, but if you have some idea about what you want to do, what you like, and what you won't do, it will make the planning easier.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your perspective. I understand just what you mean about one in a lifetime and if you love to travel there never is really a once in a lifetime. I find the first trip is really a preview of what I thought I might like with a few experiences I hadn't considered and then the next trip starts off from there. There are very few places we wouldn't return to as we have gotten better in determining what will make a great travel experience for us.

I am doing a lot of research before I start to work with anyone as you suggest since I realize there is much moreto do than the time we have and don't want to spend all of the time transferring from place to place. I am building a list of must dos and trying to work around that. I know this time will be a sampler for the next time.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by LongingForORD
I have always used a great US based "safari" travel agent. I travel the world for business and set up my own travel, but I rely on an expert for my family trips to Africa. The TA travels to SA, and Southern Africa a couple of times a year (and has been doing it for +20 years), he knows most/many camps, sites, areas and makes great reccomendations so my trip, fits the way my family likes to travel. Yes, we are adventurious, but traveling with family on a "once in a life time" trip takes some planning. FYI we are on our third "once in a lifetime" trip. I have never met this TA, he lives on the other US coast, we do everything by email, with many questions asked and answered back and forth.

+1
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA platinum Ex, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Faced with the need to put a few finishing touches on a trip I had been planning to South Africa in January and February, I reluctantly turned to a travel agent based in JNB. It made the difference between a very good trip and a great one. The person I turned to was easy to communicate with via email and voip. As a former ranger, he was knowledgable in details far beyond my expectations. He asked questions of us in a sincere effort to try to understand what we wanted from our trip. At every point in our trip, his presence was there to assist as needed, even at the locations where he had no input in the planning. He met me at the airport in JNB, knowing I was making a transfer to CPT. I received all travel documents, a detailed map, a book on birds and wildlife, and the offer of a local cell phone. We did a self drive from a camp in Southern Kruger to one in Northern Kruger. We were provided with detailed driving instructions, points of interest along the way, alternate routes, and suggestions on what wildlife to watch for and where. After reaching the camp in Northern Kruger that he thought would be a good fit for us, it became immediately apparent it was a perfect choice. We loved every minute of our time there, so much so, that we are hoping to return in November.
While I am certain that a US based travel agent could be very knowledgable about travel in South Africa, we got so much more than a travel agent. We found someone who is a skilled professional.
We were in Cape Town, Hermanus, Franschoek, Elephant Plains, and Parfuri in case anyone has specific questions, please feel free to pm.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I'm somewhat in the same boat as I've pretty much decided that I want to head to South Africa for my annual birthday trip. However, my timing has gotten a little shorter as there's a pretty good Groupon deal where the single price is within my budget range. I don't have a ton of time to do a lot of research but think the itinerary and the extra days I can stay with it are worth the price. It's through SAA Vacations but can't find any reviews on it.

Anyone have experience with SAA Vacations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.