Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Victoria / "Vic" Falls or Livingstone - to/from?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

I'm planning a trip from JNB to Victoria Falls, can't really make
up my mind, so opinions welcome

- Victoria Falls, cheaper accomodation(is it still?), closer to the falls.
- Livingstone 10km away from falls, is Livingstone Island worth visiting?

So either a return to the same place or flying in to one place and back
from the other? if the latter in which order? or would it matter?
I'm thinking about departure tax, cost for Visas, if hotel will pick you up from/take you to the airport.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
A lot of fairly recent info in this thread, be sure to check the blogs listed in the posts:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...victoria+falls
See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...th-africa.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...lls+livingston
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
A clear yes to Livingstone Island. I went last July and a work colleague more recently (less water ... but Devil's Pool open). If you're in any way tired of a H&S culture then Livingstone Island will re-juvenate. Stand as close to the edge as you want.

I really haven't come across anyone who has said one side is exclusively better than the other. Find somewhere you fancy to stay and leave it at that.
The less water, I'd say, the more I'd tend to the Zim side.

Don't be tempted by cut price bungee offers though. This is the place where the cord snapped the other week
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG+LTQP
Went to VFA in 2009 - one thing that stuck in my mind was the punitive visa charges levied on UK passport holders.

Think next time I would go to LVI...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks, well I'm aware of the cost of VISA entry/re-entry etc. that's why I was thinking, fly to VFA and back from LIV (or vice versa) and hopefully VISA costs will be slightly lower, and in that case it'd be interesting to know if it's better to go to VFA or LIV first?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Silver (soft landing!), HH Gold
visa fees are a killer here, particularly on a short trip.

Last year we ended up paying on entry to LIV, on entry to Zimbabwe over the bridge, on entry to Botswana enroute to chobe, and on entry to Zambia again to catch a JNB flight from LIV

Next trip out that way is to Namibia in May where happily, there are no visa fees for UK passport holders.

It's lovely from either side, you'll have a great time
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
We went to VFA 4 years ago and stayed at the historic and wonderful Victoria Falls hotel.

The falls were 10/15 minute walk and there are good walks in the surrounding area.

I do not remember the visa fees.

We flew Comair in and out of JNB and were very pleased, as usual.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Elephant Camp is a good place to stay near VFA. I did Hwange safari then hot baths and massages at elephant camp before long slog VFA JNB LHR

ComAir proper old school BA standards (at the pointy end anyway)
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC & others
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
We went to VFA 4 years ago and stayed at the historic and wonderful Victoria Falls hotel.

The falls were 10/15 minute walk and there are good walks in the surrounding area.

I do not remember the visa fees.

We flew Comair in and out of JNB and were very pleased, as usual.
We did exactly the same as you but in 2009. The Zim visa fees were extortionate for UK passport holders.

The only small disappointment were the hawkers/beggars/touts loitering and making a nuisance of themselves on the footpath between the VFH and the Falls.

Would repeat the journey without hesitation.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Let's move this over to the Africa forum for further discussion

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
We went in Dec 2010; drove from Lusaka, so can't really comment on flying via LVI or VFA.

We stayed in Livingstone, but not in town - instead, we were at the Zambezi Sun. It's admittedly a large, impersonal hotel, perfectly fine quality though largely lacking in character - but it is within the Victoria Falls national park, and so you can just walk over to the falls whenever you feel like it. Hotel residents are not charged park fees.

This was really nice, as we ended up walking over at sunset, in the morning before going out, etc.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:49 am

Zimbabwe vs Zambia

This article points out a few of the differences http://www.victoriafalls-guide.net/z...-zimbabwe.html

Uk passport visa fees into Zimbabwe are $55 single entry while visa fee into Zambia is $50. If you are flying from Johnannesburg though into Zambia return you will need to get a yellow fever vaccination.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Whichever you select, do not short yourselves time here; we've been twice and could certainly handle going again (Zimbabwe side, as there is considerably more to do and see with the National park, smaller town feel, reliability of water in the dry season). There is plenty to do in the vicinity - sometimes even some relax time is nice.

And staying near the falls is best, IMO. That affords walks - we walked from the Victoria Falls hotel and from the Town Council Campground down the trails and through the rainforest, observing some local wildlife, more than once, and on one walk came upon a local band of four marimbas playing under a tree.

We also lucked out in more ways than one - we came upon the Devil's Cataract when an acquaintance, Bärbel Heaton, was singing a capella a lovely "Ave Maria". At the Campground, we were told a Rhodesian Ridgeback had taken up residence, but the was pretty shy and wild - but she came to out tent and befriended us (maybe she knew we had Ridgebacks at home?)

You may also have the chance of purchasing a really nice carving of either animals or people - Shona sculptures in verdite (hard), or serpentine (less hard, but still fairly so) and soapstone (soft). Check out the US prices - getting stratospheric! You also have chances to visit traditional healers, learn about local culture, etc. And take a camera on the "Flight of Angels" for some overhead shots.

On the Zim side you won't need a Yellow Fever stick - but OTOH the stick itself is good for ten years.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by JDiver
At the Campground, we were told a Rhodesian Ridgeback
Aren't those Zimbabwean Ridgebacks now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.