Wiki Posts
Search

JNB or Cape Town

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, MM
JNB or Cape Town

We have an opportunity to go to South Africa in January, but can’t decide between Cape Town and Johannesburg. We aren’t much for large tourist attractions, and like to roam and see how people live. We like street foods and street markets. While we are not afraid, we are concerned about crime reports. Recommendations?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Cape Town for sure.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:04 am

Programs: IHG RA, BAEC Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by jmpawson
Cape Town for sure.
+1 to Cape Town.
Just back from Jo'burg, didn't really see myself wandering around looking for street food.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Cape Town. It's great for wandering around. If you are interested you can visit the District 6(?) Museum which tells about apartheid. I think you can also book tours to a township. Of course if you go to Joberg you can go to Soweto.

But Cape Town is stunning. Rent a car and go to wine country, visit penguins, see Haut Bay (one of the most spectacular bays I know of). I walked around in the evening in the tourist area with no problems. Great restaurants. I like staying downtown but you can also stay on the waterfront.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: *G on Voyager & Thai
If you plan on wandering the streets then Jo'burg is the cheaper destination - you'll only to book a one-way ticket.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, MM
YIKES! Glad I asked. Thanks for the great responses.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: United 1K
Can't wait to go to Cape Town in April.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by FC flyer
We have an opportunity to go to South Africa in January, but can’t decide between Cape Town and Johannesburg. We aren’t much for large tourist attractions, and like to roam and see how people live. We like street foods and street markets. While we are not afraid, we are concerned about crime reports. Recommendations?
There's nothing to see in JNB. It is a nice city in the sense that it is increasingly well integrated and there is a semblance of a black middle class (compared to CPT which is very segregated and there is no black middle class to speak of). But in terms of "things to see" in or near the city, there is Soweto and that is about it. CPT has much more and is a lot safer. I don't think there is anywhere you can go where you can "roam" and get "street food" safely. When I go into Khayelitsha, I do go into 'real' Khayelitsha but only with friends who know the area and who know people in the area. If you are going as a tourist I would highly recommend against it (unless you are doing a "township tour").
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:55 am

Programs: Various
So, it's clear that Cape Town is a lot safer for walking around than Jo'burg! However, are there areas of central Cape Town that are "unsafe," or is it okay to stroll about as long as one takes the usual precautions of being aware of the surroundings, not flaunting electronics, etc. (like in any city)? We're staying at the Westin on Lower Long St for a few days, and I'd like to be able to, say, walk down Long St to the Company Gardens, over to the District 6 museum, etc. I assume that is all okay?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by mechteach
So, it's clear that Cape Town is a lot safer for walking around than Jo'burg! However, are there areas of central Cape Town that are "unsafe," or is it okay to stroll about as long as one takes the usual precautions of being aware of the surroundings, not flaunting electronics, etc. (like in any city)? We're staying at the Westin on Lower Long St for a few days, and I'd like to be able to, say, walk down Long St to the Company Gardens, over to the District 6 museum, etc. I assume that is all okay?
That should be fine. That's all still within the CBD. I've always enjoyed the Company Gardens. There is also the South African national museum and the national gallery at the end of the Gardens. The museum has a planetarium attached.
It's been several years since I've been in Cape Town, but in high school we usually hopped on the train from Stellenbosch to Cape Town (not the most wise or safest for two teenage girls) and wandered around Green market square. Be aware, last time I was there was tailed by a very shade character for about 30 minutes and approached by his equally shady partner. I quickly hightailed it out of there and dissappeared into a coffee shop. I don't know how much it has changed, but Green market square is a very fun experience. For something non-touristy, walk over to the Golden Acre shopping mall. A large part of the mall is actually underground. The Castle is close by too and a good visit. The waterfront is also very pleasant, but very touristy. Sea point has a nice beach front promenade.
Avoid walking around at night.
Avoid the taxi ranks.

And if you find yourself in a place called Cape Flats....run!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by CBear
That should be fine. That's all still within the CBD. I've always enjoyed the Company Gardens. There is also the South African national museum and the national gallery at the end of the Gardens. The museum has a planetarium attached.
It's been several years since I've been in Cape Town, but in high school we usually hopped on the train from Stellenbosch to Cape Town (not the most wise or safest for two teenage girls) and wandered around Green market square. Be aware, last time I was there was tailed by a very shade character for about 30 minutes and approached by his equally shady partner. I quickly hightailed it out of there and dissappeared into a coffee shop. I don't know how much it has changed, but Green market square is a very fun experience. For something non-touristy, walk over to the Golden Acre shopping mall. A large part of the mall is actually underground. The Castle is close by too and a good visit. The waterfront is also very pleasant, but very touristy. Sea point has a nice beach front promenade.
Avoid walking around at night.
Avoid the taxi ranks.

And if you find yourself in a place called Cape Flats....run!
Thanks very much for the response! I'm actually in Cape Town right now, and having a great time. We've walked down Long St and St Georges Mall, and into the Company Gardens, and have felt safe all of the time. By chance, we have been to the Golden Acre shopping mall, when we were in search of a Vodacom store that actually had microSIM starter packs, and enjoyed that. We haven't been to Greenmarket Square yet, though, so we'll want to go there, too. I just looked it up online, and I don't know how we missed it. Thanks again for the advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.