Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

What are some recommended "haunts" in Agadir and Taghouzout, Morocco?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold

My sons (23 and 24 y.o.) will be on holiday in Morocco doing some surfing in mid-late December for ~ 10 days. Are there any specific recommendations for places to eat/snack/drink in A or in T? Or should they just try out different locales and take the good with the bad?

They won't be doing much carousing because they are pretty focussed on their surfing (that is the intent of this trip - to surf in winter), and have "steady GFs" back home. ^

Last edited by tmac100; Nov 27, 2011 at 6:29 am
Old Nov 24, 2011, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

100 views and not a single recommendation/caveat!!! Sheesh! So much for trying to get information on FT and
Old Nov 24, 2011, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by tmac100
100 views and not a single recommendation/caveat!!! Sheesh! So much for trying to get information on FT and

Has is occurred to you that perhaps that's because Morocco isn't a big drinking country? I haven't been to Agadir--and I realize it's a resort-like town, so maybe that sets it apart from elsewhere in Morocco--but it's very possible that you haven't gotten any recommendations because there just isn't much to recommend.

Would they settle for drinking mint tea in a smoky cafe with 100 other men who are starting at football games on TV? Because I'm sure there are no shortage of those in Agadir, just as there's no shortage of them in all of Morocco's major cities.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Has is occurred to you that perhaps that's because Morocco isn't a big drinking country? I haven't been to Agadir--and I realize it's a resort-like town, so maybe that sets it apart from elsewhere in Morocco--but it's very possible that you haven't gotten any recommendations because there just isn't much to recommend.

Would they settle for drinking mint tea in a smoky cafe with 100 other men who are starting at football games on TV? Because I'm sure there are no shortage of those in Agadir, just as there's no shortage of them in all of Morocco's major cities.
Thank you for your positive response I will now reply.

My sons (and I, if that matters) will spend 10 days near Agadir - in Taghazout specifically. We will be staying at a site where (allegedly) expat folks stay while they are surfing. I don't for a minute assume these folks will stay in their rooms and get room service for meals, etc aprez surf.

Thus, I assume ( and perhaps wrongly) that they will go out to eat, and... In fact I note there are "discos" in the vicinity. I thought I indicated the boys were primarily there to surf, not to get drunk, so your comment on Morocco drinking patterns is irrelevant.

Eat food and maybe try a few snacks - aka not full meals is the kind of venu info we seek. I would have thought that some FT readers have been to A or to T and could thus pass on some relevant info. Bad assumption on my part - or so it seems

If your comment means anything it says that Morocco is a barren wasteland full of Moroccan men who do absolutely nothing except what you say they do, AND that there are absolutely NO venues for expats to eat, snack or drink. I did not specifically say alcohol, BUT I did state as OP that they wouldn't be carousing.

Are you from A or from T? If so, I hope to meet other locals there who are less scathing in their "advice" than your advice suggests.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:54 am

Thank you for your positive response I will now reply.

My sons (and I, if that matters) will spend 10 days near Agadir - in Taghazout specifically. We will be staying at a site where (allegedly) expat folks stay while they are surfing. I don't for a minute assume these folks will stay in their rooms and get room service for meals, etc aprez surf.

Thus, I assume ( and perhaps wrongly) that they will go out to eat, and... In fact I note there are "discos" in the vicinity. I thought I indicated the boys were primarily there to surf, not to get drunk, so your comment on Morocco drinking patterns is irrelevant.

Eat food and maybe try a few snacks - aka not full meals is the kind of venu info we seek. I would have thought that some FT readers have been to A or to T and could thus pass on some relevant info. Bad assumption on my part - or so it seems

If your comment means anything it says that Morocco is a barren wasteland full of Moroccan men who do absolutely nothing except what you say they do, AND that there are absolutely NO venues for expats to eat, snack or drink. I did not specifically say alcohol, BUT I did state as OP that they wouldn't be carousing.

Are you from A or from T? If so, I hope to meet other locals there who are less scathing in their "advice" than your advice suggests.
As my profile indicates, I'm from Chicago. However, I have family who grew up in Morocco, so I have some familiarity with the country. I will fully admit, however, that others who frequently chime in on Morocco threads on FT have much more first hand experience than I do. I didn't respond to your initial request because I have not been to Agadir.

Your second post had a very negative tone, so I tried to weigh in on why you might not have gotten any responses. Based on your last response, I'm sorry to have even wasted my time.

Have a fantastic trip.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

I managed to get some info on Agadir (from someone where I now live), and it will just be another adventure. I guess FT is not always a good source of info. Live and learn. The net must be cast over many forums to get info on some countries
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

I managed to get some info on Agadir (from someone where I now live), and it will just be another adventure. I guess FT is not always a good source of info. Live and learn. The net must be cast over many forums to get info on some countries
Check the title for your post. It looks like YOU have recommendations for hot spots to hang out, and others might have been seeking YOUR information and gone away disappointed.

http://www.visitmorocco.com/index.ph...DIR/Night-life

P.S. Howzit, chgoeditor? Hope your trip to Morocco was great, mine certainly was!
Old Nov 26, 2011, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Check the title for your post. It looks like YOU have recommendations for hot spots to hang out, and others might have been seeking YOUR information and gone away disappointed....
Thanks for this heads up Doc. I sincerely thank you. ^ and

FT does not allow for editing of titles like editing of submission texts. I have tried in the past and have had to live with the consequences.

Moderators, please note this comment, and Doc's comment about the "misleading" title... Perhaps the FT engine can be modified to allow for the editing of titles.

I think we have enough info now regarding Agadir and Taghazout eateries, etc. We are not particularly interested in (non-internet) hot-spots
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:01 am

FT does not allow for editing of titles like editing of submission texts. I have tried in the past and have had to live with the consequences.
Click "Edit post." Click "Go advanced." Edit title.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
P.S. Howzit, chgoeditor? Hope your trip to Morocco was great, mine certainly was!
Hi Doc! It was wonderful...I need to get back again soon. Just had dinner with friends last night, including a couple who'd traveled extensively & lived the expat experience. We were all naming places where we'd like to live if the opportunity presented itself, and Morocco was one of my top spots.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Click "Edit post." Click "Go advanced." Edit title.
Thanks for this. I didn't know there was an advanced mode. Mind you, I didn't look closely. My bad (duhhh!).

In reading your next comment to Doc, it seems there will be lots to do besides surfing. Unfortunately we will have only 4 days left in the country, but we WILL find some cooking class to take (probably in Merakesh, but first we will do some looking in A and/or T) to learn how to make a meal using the tagine - and then eat it.

I remember doing those kinds of chinese cooking classes - real practical stuff that takes the edge off the uncertainty of trying a totally different kind of cooking - ie with spices like cinammon and fruit. Yum.

P.S. I did follow your instructions and just edited the original title. Thanks again ^ and
P.P.S. I note that while the edited title appears once I click on the "thread item" in the main menu, it does not change in the forum menu. Sign...

Last edited by tmac100; Nov 27, 2011 at 8:30 am
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Taghazout has been a very nice experience. There are many places to "hang out", eat and drink nice "Moroccan" tea (ie green mint tea). I have not come across any of the smoke-filled places mentioned earlier in this thread, but I do see men sitting around drinking and smoking... And such is life in many countries.

Yes, there are touts - especially those who demand parking fees/fines, BUT it also happens with South Africa travels.

The food is of excellent quality and the settings are of a simple atmosphere but still gentle, clean, and of an appealing "presentation". We did not expect to see "The Ritz", and why would we want to expect such '
"artificiality" when going to a developing nation? Our own homes are seldom of the standard at "The Ritz" and are just clean, comfortable and somewhat utilitarien - especially when inhabited by "kids"

A very pleasant (and totally unexpected) surprise was the fresh fruit bought off the trucks from local vendors. This fruit is fresh and is is a MUCH better snack than the Kit Kat bars I see western surfers buying. Oh, well, to each their own.

Now if I could only find a tagine glazed on the inside to cook with back in North America. They are easier to clean than the ones sold for tourists with cheap glazing on the outside. Maybe in Cas or in Merrakesh
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:05 am
Original Poster

There were smoke-filled places where men sat and drank coffee, AND some were watching TV in the indoor bars. Outdoors was more pleasant. My sons sat in the outside ones and drank the mint Moroccan tea.

OTOH, in Marrakesh and Casablanca there was more variety of places to drink tea/coffee and...

The following quoted passage reminds me why I must go back to Morocco and spend more time there. It deals with Moroccan tea.

"I love Moroccan tea – I love Morocco, actually! The tea ritual is like stepping into an Arab fairy tale. Of course, Morocco is an Islamic country, they don’t drink alcohol. Their tea ritual has the same tone as some of our gatherings with alcohol. People will say, ‘Come over for tea,’ not ‘Come over for a glass of wine.’ It’s very convivial. Moroccan tea is sometimes referred to as Berber whisky because it’s really strong and is served in shot glasses.

You experience Moroccan tea in clear glasses. The tea is made in a silver pot with an elongated tulip spout which gives a nice pour. They’ll pour very, very high, and raise the pot up and down. It actually aerates the tea, you get little bubbles. It’s very beautiful.

The tea itself is green tea with spearmint. There’s one type of tea Morocco gets from China called gunpowder. They mix it with spearmint grown in Morocco and with sugar. The tradition in Morocco is to serve it with pastries.

I have had a lifetime of many incredible cups of tea, but [in Morocco] I had what is one of my most memorable cups of tea – anywhere – ever. After a long day of trekking via camel into the desert, the brisk taste of intense green tea, coupled with the refreshing burst of fresh mint, was particularly rejuvenating. We finally had a well deserved cup of tea in the early evening as the sun began to set, and the desert air started to cool."

Found in the link

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle2291530/

Enjoy the read , then try the tea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.